When you're making a documentary on Drew Struzan, should your poster look like this?
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I love Drew Struzan's work and in the small amount of time I've spent talking with him I can say he's a ridiculously sweet guy to boot.
So the fact that there's a documentary on the verge of coming out about the man and his amazing poster art has me giddy as a wee lass. His imagery has made a huge impression on me and the vast majority of movie geeks out there. Whether it's his work on Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Harry Potter or The Thing... when Struzan has a chance to make the first impression it's always a good one.
So when you are making a documentary on the greatest living movie poster artist, that puts a lot of pressure on you, I would imagine, to create a poster image that's worthy of the focus of your docmentary. The guys behind the doc have released the poster image today and... well, take a look:
I really don't want to be a knee-jerk asshole here, but I don't see the logic in using a photo poster for a Drew Struzan documentary. With respect to Drew's son, Christian, who is a graphic designer and produced the poster, I think it's a huge misstep.
One, Drew looks like Richard Dreyfuss and that corner fold down looks like really bad photoshop. But more importantly the greatness of his father's work is in no way represented. That looks like it's one of those boring docs about an environmental scientist or some Nobel Prize winner, not one of the premiere pop culture artists of our time.
I'm not a fan, but I still can't wait to see the doc. What about you?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 252 total posts 252 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 229 total posts 229 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 210 total posts 209 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 148 total posts 148 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 147 total posts 147 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 208 total posts 123 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 118 total posts 74 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 73 total posts 61 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 352 total posts 57 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 221 total posts 57 posts