When you're making a documentary on Drew Struzan, should your poster look like this?
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I love Drew Struzan's work and in the small amount of time I've spent talking with him I can say he's a ridiculously sweet guy to boot.
So the fact that there's a documentary on the verge of coming out about the man and his amazing poster art has me giddy as a wee lass. His imagery has made a huge impression on me and the vast majority of movie geeks out there. Whether it's his work on Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Harry Potter or The Thing... when Struzan has a chance to make the first impression it's always a good one.
So when you are making a documentary on the greatest living movie poster artist, that puts a lot of pressure on you, I would imagine, to create a poster image that's worthy of the focus of your docmentary. The guys behind the doc have released the poster image today and... well, take a look:
I really don't want to be a knee-jerk asshole here, but I don't see the logic in using a photo poster for a Drew Struzan documentary. With respect to Drew's son, Christian, who is a graphic designer and produced the poster, I think it's a huge misstep.
One, Drew looks like Richard Dreyfuss and that corner fold down looks like really bad photoshop. But more importantly the greatness of his father's work is in no way represented. That looks like it's one of those boring docs about an environmental scientist or some Nobel Prize winner, not one of the premiere pop culture artists of our time.
I'm not a fan, but I still can't wait to see the doc. What about you?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 309 total posts 28 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 262 total posts 16 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 582 total posts 16 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 232 total posts 12 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 196 total posts 6 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 198 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 119 total posts 4 posts