Does ZERO HOUR
Make Zero Sense??
A Da Vinci Code-ish, National Treasure-y “thriller” from writer-producer Paul Scheuring ("Prison Break"), “Zero Hour” is a dull, often nonsensical mishmash of a story involving clones, Nazis, a terrorist, treasure maps, Rosicrucian priests, kidnapping, and end-of-the-world prophecy. And that’s just the pilot.
It’s so much worse, I fear, than I’m making it sound.
It’s also the first series since “ER” to star Anthony Edwards. He’s brought me so many hours of fabulous Thursday-night entertainment in the past. His participation here makes me sad.
It’ll be lucky to last as long as “The Last Resort,” the last series ABC pitted against “The Big Bang Theory.”
... it will never, ever, be confused with quality … I don't know that I can even recommend "Zero Hour" under the So Bad It's Good theory. At times, its badness is intoxicating …
... entirely dispensable, its silliness matched by its comic-book solemnity. …
… Unfortunately, even for those of us who prefer our conspiracies biblical and our talismans magical, ABC's "Zero Hour," while initially tantalizing (priests, Nazis, Anthony Edwards, an unholy birth, a secret map — I'm in! I'm in!), is more than a little disappointing (flat-footed dialogue, absurd plot machinations, cardboard main characters, ludicrous historical leaps — I'm out! I'm out!). ...
... wastes no time putting your brain in a blender for its cancel-me conspiracy smoothie. … “Zero Hour” was rancid when it got here. The dialogue is stilted and almost entirely expository. The plot is like receiving a coloring book that’s already been colored. …
... Is "Zero Hour" good? Absolutely not. … "Zero Hour" is a terrible show. But for viewers who long to mock or hate-watch and for "Da Vinci Code" fans who like to be dragged along on a crazy ride to Crazytown, "Zero Hour" is a hoot.
... The premiere episode borders on being over-plotted, but it will hold your interest with one surprise after another. …
... wants to be as brilliant as "Lost" but, sorry to say, feels more akin to the misfire "FlashForward." …
... I’m hoping Zero Hour works. And by works I mean makes sense first, gets an audience second and keeps it third. … it’s definitely going to be complex and serialized and there are large portions of the pilot that are a little flat, plus a presumption that the viewer will want to take a tumble down the rabbit hole of mystical religious orders. …
... Some viewers will no doubt find this intriguing, while others will be quick to dismiss it as overwrought poppycock. …
8 p.m. Thursday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 103 total posts 103 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 143 total posts 100 posts
- Trailer for Gregg Araki's WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD, Starring Shailene Woodley and Eva Green! -- 94 total posts 88 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- Shane Black to bring Remo Williams back to the big screen in THE DESTROYER! -- 212 total posts 79 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 156 total posts 78 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- Trailer for NIGHTCRAWLER! "If it bleeds, it leads!" -- 86 total posts 42 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 375 total posts 42 posts
- Harry Potter spinoff FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM to be directed by someone...who's directed Harry Potter movies! -- 119 total posts 31 posts