Does ZERO HOUR
Make Zero Sense??
A Da Vinci Code-ish, National Treasure-y “thriller” from writer-producer Paul Scheuring ("Prison Break"), “Zero Hour” is a dull, often nonsensical mishmash of a story involving clones, Nazis, a terrorist, treasure maps, Rosicrucian priests, kidnapping, and end-of-the-world prophecy. And that’s just the pilot.
It’s so much worse, I fear, than I’m making it sound.
It’s also the first series since “ER” to star Anthony Edwards. He’s brought me so many hours of fabulous Thursday-night entertainment in the past. His participation here makes me sad.
It’ll be lucky to last as long as “The Last Resort,” the last series ABC pitted against “The Big Bang Theory.”
... it will never, ever, be confused with quality … I don't know that I can even recommend "Zero Hour" under the So Bad It's Good theory. At times, its badness is intoxicating …
... entirely dispensable, its silliness matched by its comic-book solemnity. …
… Unfortunately, even for those of us who prefer our conspiracies biblical and our talismans magical, ABC's "Zero Hour," while initially tantalizing (priests, Nazis, Anthony Edwards, an unholy birth, a secret map — I'm in! I'm in!), is more than a little disappointing (flat-footed dialogue, absurd plot machinations, cardboard main characters, ludicrous historical leaps — I'm out! I'm out!). ...
... wastes no time putting your brain in a blender for its cancel-me conspiracy smoothie. … “Zero Hour” was rancid when it got here. The dialogue is stilted and almost entirely expository. The plot is like receiving a coloring book that’s already been colored. …
... Is "Zero Hour" good? Absolutely not. … "Zero Hour" is a terrible show. But for viewers who long to mock or hate-watch and for "Da Vinci Code" fans who like to be dragged along on a crazy ride to Crazytown, "Zero Hour" is a hoot.
... The premiere episode borders on being over-plotted, but it will hold your interest with one surprise after another. …
... wants to be as brilliant as "Lost" but, sorry to say, feels more akin to the misfire "FlashForward." …
... I’m hoping Zero Hour works. And by works I mean makes sense first, gets an audience second and keeps it third. … it’s definitely going to be complex and serialized and there are large portions of the pilot that are a little flat, plus a presumption that the viewer will want to take a tumble down the rabbit hole of mystical religious orders. …
... Some viewers will no doubt find this intriguing, while others will be quick to dismiss it as overwrought poppycock. …
8 p.m. Thursday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- New MAN OF STEEL trailer makes me happy that Superman has severe red eye!!! -- 189 total posts 89 posts
- Steven Spielberg to produce a live action Halo series for Microsoft! -- 103 total posts 18 posts
- Harry's 21st Picks & Peeks of 2013 has MEDIUM COOL, THE LAST STAND, THE BURNING, BATMAN, MIYAZAKI Blus and more!!! -- 108 total posts 13 posts
- Microsoft's Reveal Of The Next XBOX Is Upon Us, And Streaming Here!! -- 323 total posts 13 posts
- So is JURASSIC PARK IV a remake or a reboot? Sam Neill thinks he has the answer! -- 123 total posts 13 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1291 total posts 10 posts
- The New WOLVERINE Trailer Brings Forth More Jean Grey!! -- 194 total posts 10 posts
- What is PACIFIC RIM's "Drift Space"? Find out in this Featurette! -- 60 total posts 9 posts
- New PACIFIC RIM Trailer Takes A Battleship Upside The Head Of Every Other Summer Movie Trailer! -- 322 total posts 7 posts
- See the trailer for Neil Jordan's return to vampire films, BYZANTIUM!!! -- 32 total posts 5 posts