Voice Yoda Again For A STAR WARS Stand-Alone Frank Oz Would Be Game To!!
The Kidd here...
It's hard for me not to get excited about the endless possibilities being tossed around with renewed enthusiasm as Disney and Lucasfilm get things started once more in the STAR WARS Galaxy. I don't understand this skepticism about the proposed stand-alones, as it seems to draw an automatic conclusion that they're going to suck, that there is no way the creative minds behind expanding STAR WARS beyond the nine films of the core saga can make good, solid sci-fi adventure stories. It's as if the worst-case scenario is automatically invoked, because years ago George Lucas disappointed us with three lame and lifeless prequels that ruined our perception of how "perfect" STAR WARS was through the Original Trilogy. On the flip side, that doesn't mean any future STAR WARS films will be able to match Episodes IV, V or VI, nor should they even try. That is an impossible-to-meet bar of excellence that continues to get raised higher and higher, and to even attempt meeting the fans' expectations for that is a path to failure. All that can be done is to make the best individual films possible that feel at home within that galaxy far, far away... and, if they're good, fans will embrace them. If they're not, they won't... but you can't worry about trying to please everybody. I guarantee you there will be people who just look for reasons to hate what's coming down the pipeline, no matter what.
That takes me to one of those stand-alones being floated about, which is the Yoda stand-alone Harry scooped not too long ago. Just amongst ourselves here at Ain't It Cool, we've been throwing around the different paths that could be taken to explore the previous 900 years of the Jedi Master's life in a Yoda prequel... but, regardless of what story arc is chosen, it once again needs to feel like a STAR WARS film... and having Frank Oz return to voice the character would be an absoutely phenomenal place to start.
Talking to the Los Angeles Times, Oz remarked that he would be very interested in taking on the Yoda-speak again in the future. "He’s in my heart. I know Yoda very deeply.” However, you shouldn't expect to see him man Yoda as a puppeteer. Oz just doesn't see that in the design of the character anymore. “I think it depends on the story, but I think at this point you can’t go back to the puppet. The reason George [Lucas] did the CGI, which I supported, was that he wanted to tell a story that would have been hampered by the physical limitations of the puppet.”
The look of Yoda was definitely cleaned up after THE PHANTOM MENACE, where he just looked horrendous, but Frank is right... you couldn't have seen Yoda wield his lightsaber with a man's hand firmly planted up his butt making it happen. The character still looks his best though in the Original Trilogy when his existence is solely practical.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 88 total posts 36 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 68 total posts 16 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 121 total posts 14 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 63 total posts 10 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 32 total posts 10 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 245 total posts 8 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 343 total posts 7 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 60 total posts 7 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 274 total posts 6 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 59 total posts 6 posts