Fresh From HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS, Director Tommy Wirkola Heads For DEAD SNOW: WAR OF THE DEAD!!
I have a shame I will now confess to the world: I have never seen the entirety of DEAD SNOW. I've heard wonderful things about it. It's been in my Netflix queue for ages. I've watched pieces of it on numerous occasions, but EVERY. DAMN. TIME I try to watch it, something happens to prevent me from reaching the end. One time my Internet collapsed (I was streaming). Another time, my little boy woke up sick. Etc. As such, my efforts to see the film shall continue...defiantly...and I have a feeling i'll very much like the whole of it once I persevere as I've very much enjoyed what I've seen thus far.
This said, I quite loved DEAD SNOW director Tommy Wirkola's most recent film: HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS. A film which looked appalling in its trailers and only a smidgen less unfortunate on its posters and print campaigns. But the promo campaign does not do the film justice. The movie itself is bizarre as hell to be sure, and perhaps even a little demented. But, to me at least, it represents the best 'Sam Raimi' since early Sam Raimi. Wirkola nailed H&G's togh tone and energy - delivering a lean, mean package at 88 minutes. As regular readers may recall, I'm not a fan of 3D...much at all...but I found the process supported this particular film very nicely.
With all of this in mind, it's with no smal amount of interest that this news bit comes to us from Screen Daily. Seems Wirkola is returning to his Norwegian roots to helm a DEAD SNOW sequel. DEAD SNOW: WAR OF THE DEAD.
Set to be released in both English and Norwegian, the new film follows the sole survivor of a Nazi zombie attack who battles an even larger army of Zombies with the help of the Zombie Squad, a professional gang of zombie killers from the US.
..says Screen Daily, in a piece in which Wirkola describes WAR OF THE DEAD as "bigger, scarier, funnier, more action-filled and gorier than the previous one."
Is this as promising and as much of a good thing as it appears to be? I can't pass adequate judgement for myself quite yet, so you tell me...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Tomorrow's THE STRAIN, The Next HOMELAND, Fox’s GOTHAM, Showtime’s THE AFFAIR, ABC’s FOREVER, CBS’ SCORPION & MADAM SECRETARY, Scott Frank’s A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES And The Latest MARVEL, DC & SNL News!! Plus The Return Of Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 190 total posts 34 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 219 total posts 26 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 67 total posts 26 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 36 total posts 25 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 68 total posts 22 posts
- Harry @ Fantastic Fest 2014: TUSK, REALITI, CUB, TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA, HIVE, MAN FROM RENO & FREE FALL! -- 15 total posts 14 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY: THEM and Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM!!! -- 26 total posts 12 posts
- The Additions of Sam Elliott and DEADWOOD’s Garret Dillahunt Suggest That The Final Season Of JUSTIFIED Will Own Us All!! -- 31 total posts 12 posts