Harry's Sunday Discovery #1 - Behold UB Iwerks working a sweaty Walt Disney!!!
Hey folks, Harry here... As many of you could tell, by watching my AIN'T IT COOL with Harry Knowles show, I love the ephemera of Film. There's so much that can be learned from a doodle upon a sheet of paper. And while I do have quite an extensive collection, every day of my life I see things that I can't afford to collect. Contrary to popular opinion, AICN has never made me rich, not yet - and who knows if it ever will. That isn't its purpose. I created Ain't It Cool News to be a place where I could discuss my passion for cinema, its past, present & future. I've decided to start a new Sunday Column. Why Sunday? Well usually it's a slow news day film wise - and well... I think you'll love some of the discoveries that I find online.
This first one is spectacular. I actually attempted to bid on it twice, with it jumping out of my budget. Darn it. You see, when animators are working together, there's the art work that we see on the screen, there's the artwork that inspired what you see on screen and then there's the artwork that the artists do to blow off steam and make their fellow animators laugh or perhaps just themselves.
The piece you see below is AMAZING! It comes from the 1920s according to HERITAGE AUCTIONS. The man drawing at the table - a Mickey Mouse drawing on the animator's desk - is none other than a young Walt Disney. The man yelling at Walt is none other than UB Iwerks, the man responsible for a great deal of Walt's success - and the innovator that founded so many of the techniques that went into animation and visual effects filmmaking from the earliest of days.
What particularly strikes me about the piece is seeing UB as the task master over Walt. If any artwork shows just how powerful Iwerks was in the earliest days of Walt's fledgling steps as a filmmaker, it is this one. You could own this piece, it is up for sale at Heritage Auctions here, and the auction ends later this month! Now, journey back in time when Walt Disney was drawing at a desk...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 196 total posts 41 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 153 total posts 39 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 56 total posts 25 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 107 total posts 23 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 130 total posts 20 posts
- Scott Glenn Joins Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll For Netflix’s DAREDEVIL Series!! -- 59 total posts 16 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 97 total posts 15 posts
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 266 total posts 13 posts
- New Poster for V/H/S: VIRAL!!! -- 27 total posts 10 posts
- Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett to take on I SAW THE DEVIL REMAKE!!!!!!!! -- 51 total posts 7 posts