Harry's Sunday Discovery #1 - Behold UB Iwerks working a sweaty Walt Disney!!!
Hey folks, Harry here... As many of you could tell, by watching my AIN'T IT COOL with Harry Knowles show, I love the ephemera of Film. There's so much that can be learned from a doodle upon a sheet of paper. And while I do have quite an extensive collection, every day of my life I see things that I can't afford to collect. Contrary to popular opinion, AICN has never made me rich, not yet - and who knows if it ever will. That isn't its purpose. I created Ain't It Cool News to be a place where I could discuss my passion for cinema, its past, present & future. I've decided to start a new Sunday Column. Why Sunday? Well usually it's a slow news day film wise - and well... I think you'll love some of the discoveries that I find online.
This first one is spectacular. I actually attempted to bid on it twice, with it jumping out of my budget. Darn it. You see, when animators are working together, there's the art work that we see on the screen, there's the artwork that inspired what you see on screen and then there's the artwork that the artists do to blow off steam and make their fellow animators laugh or perhaps just themselves.
The piece you see below is AMAZING! It comes from the 1920s according to HERITAGE AUCTIONS. The man drawing at the table - a Mickey Mouse drawing on the animator's desk - is none other than a young Walt Disney. The man yelling at Walt is none other than UB Iwerks, the man responsible for a great deal of Walt's success - and the innovator that founded so many of the techniques that went into animation and visual effects filmmaking from the earliest of days.
What particularly strikes me about the piece is seeing UB as the task master over Walt. If any artwork shows just how powerful Iwerks was in the earliest days of Walt's fledgling steps as a filmmaker, it is this one. You could own this piece, it is up for sale at Heritage Auctions here, and the auction ends later this month! Now, journey back in time when Walt Disney was drawing at a desk...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone believes that FAST & FURIOUS 6 is the best in a bizarre, crowded franchise!!! -- 87 total posts 21 posts
- Beware Epileptics - we have a new motion poster for the upcoming remake of CARRIE! -- 81 total posts 21 posts
- Spoilery early review of MAN OF STEEL!! -- 432 total posts 14 posts
- Papa Vinyard thinks that HANGOVER: PART III was a paycheck grab for a buncha people who are already rich!! -- 212 total posts 12 posts
- Capone makes the case that THE HANGOVER PART III is neither a comedy nor a movie!!! -- 69 total posts 10 posts
- New trailer for Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara's upcoming western, AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS!! -- 49 total posts 8 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1479 total posts 8 posts
- Tom Cruise Won’t Go Solo For MAN FROM UNCLE!! -- 120 total posts 7 posts
- John Ary's Video Review Of THE HANGOVER PART III!! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- Jim Jarmusch's vampire flick ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE gets picked up for U.S. distribution by Sony Pictures Classics!! -- 20 total posts 6 posts