Lawrence Kasdan And Simon Kinberg Talk About (Mostly Around) The New STAR WARS Movies!
Lawrence Kasdan received a Hall of Fame honor at the Final Draft Big Break Screenwriting Awards last night, and made himself available to the media - which, sadly, did not result in a spate of DREAMCATCHER questions. No, it was all about the new STAR WARS movies Kasdan is working on with fellow screenwriter Simon Kinberg. What's the nature of his involvement? Which characters are receiving standalone movies? Is there a place for Duddits in the STAR WARS universe?
IGN's Jim "Stax" Vejvoda put some of these questions to Kasdan, and while he was vague in his responses, Kasdan did shed a little bit of insight into the brainstorming process. Here's the most interesting bit:
They’re going to be fun. J.J. (Abrams)’s a great director for the first sequel. Perfect. We’re very happy to have him. The writers I’ve been working with -- Michael Arndt, who’s going to write the sequel, and Simon Kinberg, who has, like me, been sort of consulting -- they’re great. I’ve never really collaborated a lot, and I’ve never been a room with a bunch of writers thinking, “Well, what should this thing be?” It’s fun. It’s really fun. And J.J.’s a writer. Yeah, lovely guy. I’d met him but didn’t know him. But now I’m totally enamored by him. He’s really funny and so enthusiastic.
Vejvoda also caught up with Kinberg, who likened writing with Kasdan to playing basketball with Michael Jordan. Kinberg's like a lot of us: he grew up on STAR WARS, and credits George Lucas's saga with inspiring him to write movies of his own. Kinberg didn't give up much, but he did have this to say about the fans' desire to know as much as possible ahead of time:
This is what I would say: as a fan, I wouldn’t want to know too much. I know that’s impossible because it’s not the '70s or '80s anymore, but part of what was so exciting about A New Hope for me was I was entering into a universe I didn’t know. Even in Empire, I was surprised by a twist I never would have seen coming. But it’s different nowadays. I understand the excitement, and I’m happy that people are interested, obviously. But I’d rather people have something left to discover when they go in.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 361 total posts 80 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 269 total posts 23 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 584 total posts 18 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 237 total posts 17 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 203 total posts 13 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 202 total posts 9 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 121 total posts 6 posts