Lawrence Kasdan And Simon Kinberg Talk About (Mostly Around) The New STAR WARS Movies!
Lawrence Kasdan received a Hall of Fame honor at the Final Draft Big Break Screenwriting Awards last night, and made himself available to the media - which, sadly, did not result in a spate of DREAMCATCHER questions. No, it was all about the new STAR WARS movies Kasdan is working on with fellow screenwriter Simon Kinberg. What's the nature of his involvement? Which characters are receiving standalone movies? Is there a place for Duddits in the STAR WARS universe?
IGN's Jim "Stax" Vejvoda put some of these questions to Kasdan, and while he was vague in his responses, Kasdan did shed a little bit of insight into the brainstorming process. Here's the most interesting bit:
They’re going to be fun. J.J. (Abrams)’s a great director for the first sequel. Perfect. We’re very happy to have him. The writers I’ve been working with -- Michael Arndt, who’s going to write the sequel, and Simon Kinberg, who has, like me, been sort of consulting -- they’re great. I’ve never really collaborated a lot, and I’ve never been a room with a bunch of writers thinking, “Well, what should this thing be?” It’s fun. It’s really fun. And J.J.’s a writer. Yeah, lovely guy. I’d met him but didn’t know him. But now I’m totally enamored by him. He’s really funny and so enthusiastic.
Vejvoda also caught up with Kinberg, who likened writing with Kasdan to playing basketball with Michael Jordan. Kinberg's like a lot of us: he grew up on STAR WARS, and credits George Lucas's saga with inspiring him to write movies of his own. Kinberg didn't give up much, but he did have this to say about the fans' desire to know as much as possible ahead of time:
This is what I would say: as a fan, I wouldn’t want to know too much. I know that’s impossible because it’s not the '70s or '80s anymore, but part of what was so exciting about A New Hope for me was I was entering into a universe I didn’t know. Even in Empire, I was surprised by a twist I never would have seen coming. But it’s different nowadays. I understand the excitement, and I’m happy that people are interested, obviously. But I’d rather people have something left to discover when they go in.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 285 total posts 48 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 106 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 84 total posts 6 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 222 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for [REC]4: APOCALYPSE Has Arrived! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR talks with Thommy Hutson about Kickstarting his new book, the definitive A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET companion, NEVER SLEEP AGAIN! -- 95 total posts 3 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 177 total posts 3 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 134 total posts 3 posts
- Here's A Trailer For AS ABOVE SO BELOW!! Freaky Madness In The Catacombs Of Paris!! -- 30 total posts 2 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 455 total posts 2 posts