Star Wars, Star Trek and now Half Life and Portal? Damn, JJ! Leave something for the rest of Hollywood!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I've come to the conclusion that if JJ Abrams and I grew up together we would be best friend, but if I was making movies we'd be mortal enemies because that motherfucker puts his cooties all over everything I'd be trying to do.
First it was Dark Tower, but then they couldn't figure out how to make that one work, so he turned Trek into Star Wars + Wrath of Khan, which is great in my book. Then he gets Star Wars and now he's working with Valve to develop video games and movies based on their games.
Okay, so I'm already geeking out over Guillermo del Toro using GLaDOS in Pacific Rim, but a whole movie based around the funky world of Aperture Science... full of snark, dark humor and crazy portal jump-arounds? I see the potential, but don't see how they make it a feature, however I'm dying to see them try.
Half Life on the other hand already has the story, the iconography and the characters and is an easy adaptation if done well. It could be like if Paul WS Anderson made a good Resident Evil movie, except instead of paralleling Romero this one would parallel Ridley Scott and James Cameron.
Now we don't know how directly Abrams himself will be involved, but according to Engadget he will be involved in some capacity. If these films happen they'll be Bad Robot films.
To me this sounds like Abrams is following in Spielberg's footsteps yet again. Bad Robot is becoming his Amblin and while he's off telling every other filmmaker working that he's going to be King of Popcorn mountain he'll be producing a ton of interesting things.
On the gaming side of things, I find if fascinating when filmmakers take an active role in developing titles. Peter Jackson was working with Microsoft a while back, but I don't know if that ever amounted to anything after the Halo movie fell apart.
Can't wait to see the kind of bizarre love child Valve and Bad Robot come up with.
I keep saying it, but damn it... every day proves it truer and truer... it's an awesome time to be a geek.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 61 total posts 7 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 33 total posts 5 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 134 total posts 5 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK! -- 56 total posts 3 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 140 total posts 3 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts
- The Friday Docback Is Chilly Towards ‘The Ice Warriors’!! DOCTOR WHO Story #39, HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Dark Eyes’ 2.1 / 2.2 Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 28 total posts 2 posts