Rupert Wyatt says goodbye to pissed off Apes and hello to WW1 romance with BIRDSONG
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with an update on the movements of Mr. Rupert Wyatt, who came out of left field with a spectacular surprise in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, shoots this year, but Wyatt walked away (I heard he had a miserable time on the first film and had to fight for every inch of goodness in that film). The Apes sequel has Matt Reeves at the helm, which is good news, especially since Fox has been de-Rothman'd, so maybe the micromanagement will ease up a bit.
Mr. Wyatt will be writing and directing an adaptation of the highly acclaimed WW1 romance novel BIRDSONG by Sebastian Faulks, per Screen Daily.
The story follows a young Englishman who falls in love with a French lady in the nineteen-teens, knocks her up, goes back home and then finds himself back in France 6 years later as a soldier, fighting in the trenches while all the emotions of his romantic entanglement mix with the horrors of war around him.
To be honest, it sounds a bit like every other WW1-centered romance tale, but from what I understand Faulks does a great job at describing the horrors of WW1 trench warfare and if Wyatt can make this movie thrilling as well heart-string tugging I could see this working out quite well.
Stuffy shirt British TV watcher people might be scratching their heads a bit, thinking they've already seen this... and they have. Eddie Redmayne, Matthew Goode and Clemence Poesy adapted this for the BBC last year.
So, there you go.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 50 total posts 25 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 534 total posts 11 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 51 total posts 7 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 163 total posts 6 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 145 total posts 2 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 22 total posts 2 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 204 total posts 1 post
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 6 total posts 1 post
THE LATE SHOW WITH
1993-2015 -- 425 total posts 1 post