Rupert Wyatt says goodbye to pissed off Apes and hello to WW1 romance with BIRDSONG
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with an update on the movements of Mr. Rupert Wyatt, who came out of left field with a spectacular surprise in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, shoots this year, but Wyatt walked away (I heard he had a miserable time on the first film and had to fight for every inch of goodness in that film). The Apes sequel has Matt Reeves at the helm, which is good news, especially since Fox has been de-Rothman'd, so maybe the micromanagement will ease up a bit.
Mr. Wyatt will be writing and directing an adaptation of the highly acclaimed WW1 romance novel BIRDSONG by Sebastian Faulks, per Screen Daily.
The story follows a young Englishman who falls in love with a French lady in the nineteen-teens, knocks her up, goes back home and then finds himself back in France 6 years later as a soldier, fighting in the trenches while all the emotions of his romantic entanglement mix with the horrors of war around him.
To be honest, it sounds a bit like every other WW1-centered romance tale, but from what I understand Faulks does a great job at describing the horrors of WW1 trench warfare and if Wyatt can make this movie thrilling as well heart-string tugging I could see this working out quite well.
Stuffy shirt British TV watcher people might be scratching their heads a bit, thinking they've already seen this... and they have. Eddie Redmayne, Matthew Goode and Clemence Poesy adapted this for the BBC last year.
So, there you go.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 290 total posts 290 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 361 total posts 134 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 290 total posts 106 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 123 total posts 70 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 50 total posts 50 posts