Rupert Wyatt says goodbye to pissed off Apes and hello to WW1 romance with BIRDSONG
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with an update on the movements of Mr. Rupert Wyatt, who came out of left field with a spectacular surprise in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, shoots this year, but Wyatt walked away (I heard he had a miserable time on the first film and had to fight for every inch of goodness in that film). The Apes sequel has Matt Reeves at the helm, which is good news, especially since Fox has been de-Rothman'd, so maybe the micromanagement will ease up a bit.
Mr. Wyatt will be writing and directing an adaptation of the highly acclaimed WW1 romance novel BIRDSONG by Sebastian Faulks, per Screen Daily.
The story follows a young Englishman who falls in love with a French lady in the nineteen-teens, knocks her up, goes back home and then finds himself back in France 6 years later as a soldier, fighting in the trenches while all the emotions of his romantic entanglement mix with the horrors of war around him.
To be honest, it sounds a bit like every other WW1-centered romance tale, but from what I understand Faulks does a great job at describing the horrors of WW1 trench warfare and if Wyatt can make this movie thrilling as well heart-string tugging I could see this working out quite well.
Stuffy shirt British TV watcher people might be scratching their heads a bit, thinking they've already seen this... and they have. Eddie Redmayne, Matthew Goode and Clemence Poesy adapted this for the BBC last year.
So, there you go.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 106 total posts 29 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 277 total posts 21 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 512 total posts 15 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 35 total posts 12 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 22 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 333 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 11 total posts 3 posts