SXSW film REWIND THIS, a doc about the importance and impact of the VHS format, gets a trailer!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. With SXSW approaching much too quickly, we're starting to see trailers online for the lesser known films on their slate. These aren't the Evil Deads of the world that get millions pumped into advertising, but low budget, often crowd-sourced, work like the trailer below: Rewind This!
Now this is a documentary about the impact, legacy and importance of VHS, which I at once totally agree with and struggle to completely join in with. Watch the trailer and I'll be back afterwards with some thoughts on the whole VHS thing... PS, check out AICN traitor Drew McWeeny being all smart and stuff!
Here's what I agree with: VHS had a massive impact on the industry and changed the way we watched movies. I have just as much nostalgia for the format as everybody featured in that trailer and used to rent videos all the time, sneak in some slashers during sleepovers, etc.
Where I find I part from a lot of the super proud VHS folk (many of whom are actually good real life friends) is that I don't prefer it as a format. I know a lot of people that do, that view it as vinyl vs. CD, but that's something I totally can't get on board with.
With Blu-Ray I am within a hair of having 35mm quality in my house. Pan and Scan isn't a thing I have to put up with. If I rewatch Jaws 100 times I'm never going to have to fight the tracking and see it fade like film without the benefit of the added resolution (and correct aspect ratio). That's not even going into the price difference (upon release, not now naturally) or storage space required, but purely on quality of the image we're getting.
So, I have nostalgia for the format, but I don't miss it. I may miss some of the awesome hand-painted cover art that came with these releases, but I'll take a sloppy photoshop coverart with a beautiful, near 35mm negative quality 1080p image over a 4:3 cropped low res image with cool coverart any day of the week.
That's my mini-VHS rant, but I will say I'm dying to see the doc, which is one of my most anticipated films of the festival... probably because I feel so split on the issue. Also because I love movie passion no matter what form it's in. I'm sure you'll see some reviews out of SXSW to let you know if Rewind This turned out okay or not.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 361 total posts 80 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 269 total posts 23 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 584 total posts 18 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 237 total posts 17 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 203 total posts 13 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 202 total posts 9 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 121 total posts 6 posts