Jeremy Renner Is Lined Up To KILL THE MESSENGER!!
The Kidd here...
Things have been quite busy for Jeremy Renner fairly recently - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, THE AVENGERS, THE BOURNE LEGACY, HANSEL & GRETEL (okay, we can try to forget that one)... either way, he's been keeping his calendar full with projects, and he's just lined up another, committing to produce and star in KILL THE MESSENGER, a story based on the real life events of a journalist who killed himself after a smear campaign to destroy his reputation by the C.I.A.
According to Deadline, Michael Cuesta (exec producer and sometimes director on HOMELAND) has been tapped to helm the film, which will look for a buyer in Berlin at the European Film Market. Peter Landesman penned the script, which pulls material from two books: Gary Webb's Dark Alliance: The CIA, The Contras, And The Crack Cocaine Explosion and Kill The Messenger: How The CIA’s Crack-Cocaine Controversy Destroyed Journalist Gary Webb by Nick Schou. Webb is at the heart of the story, having worked as an investigative reporter for the San Jose Mercury News. After publishing a three-part expose that linked the C.I.A. to the importation of crack cocaine into California, Webb was the subject of a smear campaign by the intelligence agency that shattered his reputation, ruined his career and left him severely depressed, ultimately leading to his suicide in 2004.
This'll certainly be an interesting role for Renner to play, a bit of a departure from the more action-based parts he's been taking on as of late, but as we've seen in THE HURT LOCKER and THE TOWN, Renner does quite well when he's handling these complex, broken characters.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 248 total posts 248 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 223 total posts 223 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 200 total posts 199 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 127 total posts 127 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 203 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 118 total posts 75 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 352 total posts 57 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 221 total posts 57 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 69 total posts 57 posts