Jeremy Renner Is Lined Up To KILL THE MESSENGER!!
The Kidd here...
Things have been quite busy for Jeremy Renner fairly recently - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, THE AVENGERS, THE BOURNE LEGACY, HANSEL & GRETEL (okay, we can try to forget that one)... either way, he's been keeping his calendar full with projects, and he's just lined up another, committing to produce and star in KILL THE MESSENGER, a story based on the real life events of a journalist who killed himself after a smear campaign to destroy his reputation by the C.I.A.
According to Deadline, Michael Cuesta (exec producer and sometimes director on HOMELAND) has been tapped to helm the film, which will look for a buyer in Berlin at the European Film Market. Peter Landesman penned the script, which pulls material from two books: Gary Webb's Dark Alliance: The CIA, The Contras, And The Crack Cocaine Explosion and Kill The Messenger: How The CIA’s Crack-Cocaine Controversy Destroyed Journalist Gary Webb by Nick Schou. Webb is at the heart of the story, having worked as an investigative reporter for the San Jose Mercury News. After publishing a three-part expose that linked the C.I.A. to the importation of crack cocaine into California, Webb was the subject of a smear campaign by the intelligence agency that shattered his reputation, ruined his career and left him severely depressed, ultimately leading to his suicide in 2004.
This'll certainly be an interesting role for Renner to play, a bit of a departure from the more action-based parts he's been taking on as of late, but as we've seen in THE HURT LOCKER and THE TOWN, Renner does quite well when he's handling these complex, broken characters.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Wanna hear the least annoying sound in the world? Repeat after me: Universal picks up DUMB AND DUMBER TO!! -- 83 total posts 28 posts
- PROMETHEUS 2 now has a writer!!! -- 662 total posts 23 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST: The @$$Holes take stabs at MAN OF STEEL, plus a review of Scott Snyder’s SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! -- 26 total posts 19 posts
- WWZ blah-ditty, blah, blah, blah! AICN HORROR’s got a truly unique zombie film you should check out instead called THE BATTERY! -- 19 total posts 14 posts
- UPDATED WITH POSTER!! GO BUY SOME LEGOS, KIDS a.k.a. THE LEGO MOVIE stacks up a trailer!! -- 70 total posts 13 posts
- Father Geek says MAN OF STEEL is pretty much the best Superhero Movie ever made and I'm not gonna argue! -- 1861 total posts 10 posts
- ICEBERG SLIM: PORTRAIT OF A PIMP has a trailer to tantalize your interests -- 26 total posts 9 posts
- Vegas gets pwned in this new banner for GODZILLA!! -- 88 total posts 7 posts
- Harry's 25th Picks & Peeks of 2013!!! With THINGS TO COME, OCTAMAN, Bette Davis, STOKER, HOWLING, LIFEFORCE & more! -- 225 total posts 5 posts
- Ryan Reynolds No Longer the HIGHLANDER -- 325 total posts 5 posts