Walter Salles Tries On THE MAN IN THE ROCKEFELLER SUIT For Fox Searchlight!
The strange, sordid tale of Christian Gerhartsreiter (pictured above) is a ready-made movie. Actually, if you count Lifetime MOW fare directed by the cinematographer of THE ABYSS, it's already been made! But a story this mindblowingly bizarre can stand to be told twice. And so it shall. By above-average filmmaker Walter Salles.
According to Variety, Salles is set to step in for CRAZY HEART director Scott Cooper on Fox Searchlight's THE MAN IN THE ROCKEFELLER SUIT. The film will be based on Mark Seale's 2011 book, which sorts through the dense thicket of lies Gerhartsreiter deployed in order to ingratiate himself with some of the wealthiest families in America. Claiming he was a Rockefeller heir, Gerhartsreiter eventually married a wealthy business consultant named Sandra Boss, and essentially lived off of her income while keeping up the illusion that he was born into money. The story gets more bizarre from there, and is still unfolding: Gerhartsreiter is currently awaiting trial for the 1985 murder of Jonathan Sohus in Los Angeles.
There's a great movie in here, but I'll wait until Searchlight names a screenwriter to get excited. True, Salles (ON THE ROAD, CENTRAL STATION, THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES) is a capable enough filmmaker, but his involvement alone has never been cause to get worked up over a movie. While we wait for more news on this project, let's all revisit Anthony Minghella's masterful THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Wanna hear the least annoying sound in the world? Repeat after me: Universal picks up DUMB AND DUMBER TO!! -- 85 total posts 30 posts
- PROMETHEUS 2 now has a writer!!! -- 668 total posts 29 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST: The @$$Holes take stabs at MAN OF STEEL, plus a review of Scott Snyder’s SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! -- 29 total posts 22 posts
- UPDATED WITH POSTER!! GO BUY SOME LEGOS, KIDS a.k.a. THE LEGO MOVIE stacks up a trailer!! -- 75 total posts 18 posts
- Sweet knights of Colombus!! A new trailer for ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES has been unleashed!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- WWZ blah-ditty, blah, blah, blah! AICN HORROR’s got a truly unique zombie film you should check out instead called THE BATTERY! -- 22 total posts 17 posts
- Father Geek says MAN OF STEEL is pretty much the best Superhero Movie ever made and I'm not gonna argue! -- 1865 total posts 14 posts
- Harry's 25th Picks & Peeks of 2013!!! With THINGS TO COME, OCTAMAN, Bette Davis, STOKER, HOWLING, LIFEFORCE & more! -- 234 total posts 14 posts
- ICEBERG SLIM: PORTRAIT OF A PIMP has a trailer to tantalize your interests -- 28 total posts 11 posts
- David S. Goyer And Mr. Beaks Talk MAN OF STEEL Spoilers! DA VINCI'S DEMONS,100 BULLETS And JUSTICE LEAGUE Also Discussed! -- 506 total posts 9 posts