SXSW announces their 2013 line up! Joss Whedon, John Milius, Stephen Hawking, John Sayles and more!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. SXSW fever is gripping movie bloggers, industry peoples and straight up movie lovers. The fest is a mere month and some change away and today they announced their full schedule.
Since we have about 173 AICNers going this year, I'm sure one of us will write up a detailed preview piece, so I'm not going to list every single narrative feature, doc and short that was announced today, but I'll point out some stand-outs. Be sure to check out SXSW's site for the full rundown.
HAWKING - a documentary about Stephen Hawking. Reportedly Mr. Hawking himself wants to come down. Harry is pulling every string he has to get Copernicus in a public conversation with Hawking. That talk would be more interesting than any movie playing the fest.
DRINKING BUDDIES - Joe Swanberg picture... Not a huge mumblecore fan, but this one has a great cast. Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingston, Jake Johnson and Olivia Wilde.
GO FOR SISTERS - John Sayles. That's all you need to know.
GROW UP, TONY PHILLIPS - I'm biased on this one. My brother stars in the film from Emily Hagins who sold her last feature MY SUCKY TEEN ROMANCE out of SXSW last year. Congrats, guys!
MILO - My eyes almost skipped over this until I read: A man discovers that his chronic stomach problems are due to the fact that he has a demon baby living in his colon. Stephen Root, Peter Stormare, Gillian Jacobs and Ken Marino are in it. Sold.
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING - The smaller Joss Whedon movie that he made last year. This one will have less Hulk, but more Nathan Fillion and Shakespeare, so...
SCENIC ROUTE - Josh Duhamel has a mohawk and the blurb promises knife-wielding. From the screenwriter of the underappreciated THE BEAVER. Okay. I'll see it.
ZERO CHARISMA - Local flick about nerds coming to terms with a hipster at their D&D game. Sam Eidson is a hilarious local personality. I know a lot of people who worked on this one and they think it'll be good.
MILIUS - A documentary on John Milius, so it's automatically the best thing playing the festival. Word around the AICN hallways is that Milius is coming down for the film. He's legitimately one of the most interesting personalities out there and if he is in town I will grill him for every bit of information I can on his pass on the Indianapolis speech in Jaws.
REWIND THIS - Another local favorite... this one a love letter to VHS.
HARRY DEAN STANTON: PARTLY FICTION - A doc on Harry Dean Stanton. Yes, please.
MALADIES - James Franco being weird... with Catherine Keener, David Strathairn and Alan Cumming.
YELLOW - Nick Cassavetes' new film about a substitute teacher that fantasizes about parallel realities... Sienna Miller, Gena Rowlands, Ray Liotta, Melanie Griffith and Heather Wahlquist is in it.
There is also the chance for us Austin-trapped folk to catch Sundance favorites like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Don Jon's Addiction, Linklater's Before Midnight, David Gordon Green's Prince Avalanche and Shane Carruth's Upstream Color.
When you add on the already announced big premieres of Evil Dead, Burt Wonderstone, Alex Winter's Napster doc Downloaded and Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers... well, let's just say my March is looking might busy.
Hope to see some of you folks around the fest this year.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 188 total posts 188 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 157 total posts 157 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 189 total posts 106 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 108 total posts 66 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 344 total posts 49 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 206 total posts 42 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 53 total posts 42 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 99 total posts 38 posts
- He's not 007 anymore, but Pierce Brosnan is still kicking ass across Europe in the full trailer for THE NOVEMBER MAN! -- 83 total posts 34 posts
- EXPENDABLES 3 launches a ton of Comic Con posters! -- 92 total posts 31 posts