The New One Sheet For THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE Is Less Than Magical!!
The Kidd here...
I get that we can't expect too much these days from the studios' marketing departments when it comes to poster art. They've already drained themselves creatively trying to come up with something different and eye-catching for the teaser one sheet that came onto the scene months earlier. As they get closer to the release date, they're convinced the talent alone will sell their films, so prominently featuring the giant heads of the cast should be enough for a potential tickey buyer to drop 12 bucks on a flick starring Ryan Gosling, because who cares what the movie is about, it's got Ryan Gosling. That's probably why attendance for middle-aged movie-goers is down (a demographic I find myself in) - we don't want talent in just anything, we want them in good movies. And bad posters don't help sell good movies. They now only show who's in it; they don't necessarily give any real indication what the film might be about in any cool-looking fashion.
Take, for example, this new one sheet for Warner Bros.' THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE. If there was ever a film that warranted a bit of creativity on its one sheet, it'd be one about magicians. The possibilities are endless. Instead, we get Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi and Jim Carrey's big faces front and center with the lights of Vegas blurily shining off to the side. What about this is supposed to draw me into the theatre? Their different hair... their hand poses...? If you were walking through the theatre lobby and caught this out of the corner of your eye, is there anything about this that'd really make you stop and take notice, looking into what BURT WONDERSTONE is, so you can maybe choose to see it on March 15.
I know it's easy to criticize on these decisions... the studios have certainly made it quite easy for us to look at one sheets like this and say they're terrible. But come on, man... this is getting ridiculous. And this is even for a movie I am quite interested in seeing. However, if I didn't know what the film was about, or seen bits and piece that piqued my curiosity, there is no way this poster would hook me.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 1167 total posts 26 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 797 total posts 24 posts
- ‘Darkness Will Devour Them All!!’ Sunday Brings Antepenultimate GAME OF THRONES For HBO!! -- 237 total posts 19 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 450 total posts 14 posts
- Here's A Behind-The-Scenes Look At MAN OF STEEL With New Footage! Also... Is Supergirl In The Prequel Comic? -- 243 total posts 7 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1438 total posts 6 posts
- Hey! Fat Face! Here's The New Teaser To ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES! -- 238 total posts 4 posts
Ben Affleck Tonight Hosts
SNL’s 38th Season Finale!! -- 76 total posts 4 posts
‘You Cannot Go On Like This!!’
Sunday Brings MAD MEN 6.8!! -- 26 total posts 4 posts
- EUROPA REPORT Trailer Imagines A Scientifically Realistic Trip To One Of Jupiter's Moons! -- 108 total posts 4 posts