The New One Sheet For THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE Is Less Than Magical!!
The Kidd here...
I get that we can't expect too much these days from the studios' marketing departments when it comes to poster art. They've already drained themselves creatively trying to come up with something different and eye-catching for the teaser one sheet that came onto the scene months earlier. As they get closer to the release date, they're convinced the talent alone will sell their films, so prominently featuring the giant heads of the cast should be enough for a potential tickey buyer to drop 12 bucks on a flick starring Ryan Gosling, because who cares what the movie is about, it's got Ryan Gosling. That's probably why attendance for middle-aged movie-goers is down (a demographic I find myself in) - we don't want talent in just anything, we want them in good movies. And bad posters don't help sell good movies. They now only show who's in it; they don't necessarily give any real indication what the film might be about in any cool-looking fashion.
Take, for example, this new one sheet for Warner Bros.' THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE. If there was ever a film that warranted a bit of creativity on its one sheet, it'd be one about magicians. The possibilities are endless. Instead, we get Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi and Jim Carrey's big faces front and center with the lights of Vegas blurily shining off to the side. What about this is supposed to draw me into the theatre? Their different hair... their hand poses...? If you were walking through the theatre lobby and caught this out of the corner of your eye, is there anything about this that'd really make you stop and take notice, looking into what BURT WONDERSTONE is, so you can maybe choose to see it on March 15.
I know it's easy to criticize on these decisions... the studios have certainly made it quite easy for us to look at one sheets like this and say they're terrible. But come on, man... this is getting ridiculous. And this is even for a movie I am quite interested in seeing. However, if I didn't know what the film was about, or seen bits and piece that piqued my curiosity, there is no way this poster would hook me.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 148 total posts 18 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 352 total posts 15 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 82 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 42 total posts 13 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 20 total posts 12 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 19 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 30 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 13 total posts 6 posts