The New One Sheet For THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE Is Less Than Magical!!
The Kidd here...
I get that we can't expect too much these days from the studios' marketing departments when it comes to poster art. They've already drained themselves creatively trying to come up with something different and eye-catching for the teaser one sheet that came onto the scene months earlier. As they get closer to the release date, they're convinced the talent alone will sell their films, so prominently featuring the giant heads of the cast should be enough for a potential tickey buyer to drop 12 bucks on a flick starring Ryan Gosling, because who cares what the movie is about, it's got Ryan Gosling. That's probably why attendance for middle-aged movie-goers is down (a demographic I find myself in) - we don't want talent in just anything, we want them in good movies. And bad posters don't help sell good movies. They now only show who's in it; they don't necessarily give any real indication what the film might be about in any cool-looking fashion.
Take, for example, this new one sheet for Warner Bros.' THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE. If there was ever a film that warranted a bit of creativity on its one sheet, it'd be one about magicians. The possibilities are endless. Instead, we get Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi and Jim Carrey's big faces front and center with the lights of Vegas blurily shining off to the side. What about this is supposed to draw me into the theatre? Their different hair... their hand poses...? If you were walking through the theatre lobby and caught this out of the corner of your eye, is there anything about this that'd really make you stop and take notice, looking into what BURT WONDERSTONE is, so you can maybe choose to see it on March 15.
I know it's easy to criticize on these decisions... the studios have certainly made it quite easy for us to look at one sheets like this and say they're terrible. But come on, man... this is getting ridiculous. And this is even for a movie I am quite interested in seeing. However, if I didn't know what the film was about, or seen bits and piece that piqued my curiosity, there is no way this poster would hook me.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 351 total posts 351 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 588 total posts 268 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 614 total posts 164 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 144 total posts 144 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 778 total posts 113 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 85 total posts 85 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 71 total posts 71 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 58 total posts 58 posts
- The Girls Come Out To Play In Red-Band Comic Con Trailer For SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! -- 53 total posts 53 posts