The JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie Needs MAN OF STEEL...
We've been hearing a bit of news lately about that long-percolating JUSTICE LEAGUE live action movie project. We know GANGSTER SQUAD's scripter Wil Beall is writing it. Its final character roster was recently revealed. Etc.
Despite such forward motion, audiences shouldn't be quick to embrace the movie's certainty. Seems its fate may be intertwined with the performance of Zack Snyder's upcoming Superman opus MAN OF STEEL.
Stakes are high for "Man of Steel." Other than Nolan's Batpics, Warners has not been able to effectively exploit the DC library. Its 2011 "Green Lantern" underperformed, and a "Justice League" film wouldn't likely be in theaters before 2015, as Warner's top brass has indicated that they are awaiting the results of "Man of Steel," which opens June 14, before moving further ahead.
...says Variety HERE.
Which, while sounding dissuasive, makes a whole lotta sense given the circumstances.
As a DCverse cross-over/'the gang's all here!' picture, JUSTICE LEAGUE has not been set-up as thoroughly or as deftly as the pre-AVENGERS Marvelverse. The folks at Warners have magnificent, time tested characters to work with...but several appearing in JUSTICE LEAGUE have yet to be introduced to the public on the big screen. Green Lantern (said to appear in JL) ...who did have his own movie recently...failed to set the box office on fire and can hardly be seen as a bankable commodity. Leaving Batman and Superman, not surprisingly, anchoring the JL project.
Which tells me two things...
There's been a lot of coyness surrounding whether Henry Cavill's Superman might appear in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Given indications that MAN OF STEEL helmer Zack Snyder is consulting on the writing of Superman's JUSTICE LEAGUE appearance...and given that Warners is waiting to see how Cavill's MOS performs...it may now be a safe bet to assume that Cavill will appear in JUSTICE LEAGUE should the project move forward. AND, presuming that project moves forward sooner than later (i.e. a pre-reboot BATMAN), I'm betting that at least some lip service is being paid to integrating Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character from THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. Again, because if Warners is feeling goosey about JUSTICE LEAGUE...and if a few of its characters have yet to appear in their own films...the studio will be eager to roll-out two highly visible heroes who already have some street cred in the minds of audiences. And, in Batman's case (assuming Christian Bale would not appear), this would be handled by plugging into those final moments of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.
So that's my perspective. Which may, admittedly, be flawed. At the end of the day, Warners might ultimately opt to wait on a JL movie until they've herded more of their proverbial ducks into a row. But if they're moving on it soon, my thought process might possibly (?) make a bot of sense...
Nic Cage in costume fitting for aborted SUPERMAN LIVES movie...via SupermanHomepage.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- War Machine to join Iron Man and friends in THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON!?! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 405 total posts 11 posts
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 311 total posts 7 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 130 total posts 5 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 115 total posts 5 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 96 total posts 4 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 106 total posts 3 posts
- THE KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM gets a release date! But which version will we see? -- 23 total posts 3 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 281 total posts 3 posts
- 47 RONIN's Animated Prequel Thing Is Here!! -- 34 total posts 3 posts