The JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie Needs MAN OF STEEL...
We've been hearing a bit of news lately about that long-percolating JUSTICE LEAGUE live action movie project. We know GANGSTER SQUAD's scripter Wil Beall is writing it. Its final character roster was recently revealed. Etc.
Despite such forward motion, audiences shouldn't be quick to embrace the movie's certainty. Seems its fate may be intertwined with the performance of Zack Snyder's upcoming Superman opus MAN OF STEEL.
Stakes are high for "Man of Steel." Other than Nolan's Batpics, Warners has not been able to effectively exploit the DC library. Its 2011 "Green Lantern" underperformed, and a "Justice League" film wouldn't likely be in theaters before 2015, as Warner's top brass has indicated that they are awaiting the results of "Man of Steel," which opens June 14, before moving further ahead.
...says Variety HERE.
Which, while sounding dissuasive, makes a whole lotta sense given the circumstances.
As a DCverse cross-over/'the gang's all here!' picture, JUSTICE LEAGUE has not been set-up as thoroughly or as deftly as the pre-AVENGERS Marvelverse. The folks at Warners have magnificent, time tested characters to work with...but several appearing in JUSTICE LEAGUE have yet to be introduced to the public on the big screen. Green Lantern (said to appear in JL) ...who did have his own movie recently...failed to set the box office on fire and can hardly be seen as a bankable commodity. Leaving Batman and Superman, not surprisingly, anchoring the JL project.
Which tells me two things...
There's been a lot of coyness surrounding whether Henry Cavill's Superman might appear in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Given indications that MAN OF STEEL helmer Zack Snyder is consulting on the writing of Superman's JUSTICE LEAGUE appearance...and given that Warners is waiting to see how Cavill's MOS performs...it may now be a safe bet to assume that Cavill will appear in JUSTICE LEAGUE should the project move forward. AND, presuming that project moves forward sooner than later (i.e. a pre-reboot BATMAN), I'm betting that at least some lip service is being paid to integrating Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character from THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. Again, because if Warners is feeling goosey about JUSTICE LEAGUE...and if a few of its characters have yet to appear in their own films...the studio will be eager to roll-out two highly visible heroes who already have some street cred in the minds of audiences. And, in Batman's case (assuming Christian Bale would not appear), this would be handled by plugging into those final moments of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.
So that's my perspective. Which may, admittedly, be flawed. At the end of the day, Warners might ultimately opt to wait on a JL movie until they've herded more of their proverbial ducks into a row. But if they're moving on it soon, my thought process might possibly (?) make a bot of sense...
Nic Cage in costume fitting for aborted SUPERMAN LIVES movie...via SupermanHomepage.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 256 total posts 256 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 231 total posts 231 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 225 total posts 224 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 176 total posts 176 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 162 total posts 162 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 208 total posts 123 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 119 total posts 75 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 73 total posts 61 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 353 total posts 58 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 221 total posts 57 posts