You think when The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day dies it goes to heaven. It comes to us!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Picture.
How much do I love Phantasm II? Probably too much. This one was my entry into the Phantasm movies thanks to its constant rotation on cable in my youth (cable certainly loved Don Coscarelli because that’s why I’m so gaga for The Beastmaster, too) and to this day is still my favorite of the series.
Phantasm II has a balance of the surreal weirdness of the first film and a slick, studio-financed professional veneer that really takes it to that next level. Coscarelli’s filmmaking is on par with Raimi’s at the time (there are a few sections in the movie that feel like something out of Evil Dead 2), the movie’s crazy fun and Reggie’s a stone cold badass with his quad-barreled shotgun.
Today we’re going to be taking a look at one of the more memorable gags from the film, courtesy of practical effects guy-turned director Mr. Robert Kurtzman. Here we see the makeup process to remove poor ol’ Kenneth Tigar’s ear, thanks to one of Phantasm’s trademark flying spheres. That’s Kurtzman in the final corner.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at email@example.com.
Tomorrow’s pic is full of rich stuff.
I’ve got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here to visit Page One and Click here to visit Page Two
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Wanna hear the least annoying sound in the world? Repeat after me: Universal picks up DUMB AND DUMBER TO!! -- 73 total posts 18 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST: The @$$Holes take stabs at MAN OF STEEL, plus a review of Scott Snyder’s SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! -- 21 total posts 14 posts
- PROMETHEUS 2 now has a writer!!! -- 653 total posts 14 posts
- Father Geek says MAN OF STEEL is pretty much the best Superhero Movie ever made and I'm not gonna argue! -- 1859 total posts 8 posts
- Vegas gets pwned in this new banner for GODZILLA!! -- 88 total posts 7 posts
- WWZ blah-ditty, blah, blah, blah! AICN HORROR’s got a truly unique zombie film you should check out instead called THE BATTERY! -- 11 total posts 6 posts
- Ryan Reynolds No Longer the HIGHLANDER -- 324 total posts 4 posts
- Harry's 25th Picks & Peeks of 2013!!! With THINGS TO COME, OCTAMAN, Bette Davis, STOKER, HOWLING, LIFEFORCE & more! -- 223 total posts 3 posts
- Salma Hayek's passion project THE PROPHET gets an impressive voice cast, including Neesoms, Molina, Krasinski, and a Quvenzhané!! -- 17 total posts 3 posts
- UPDATED WITH POSTER!! GO BUY SOME LEGOS, KIDS a.k.a. THE LEGO MOVIE stacks up a trailer!! -- 60 total posts 3 posts