So Now That We Have A Director, Let's Speculate On STAR WARS Episode VII's Casting!
So now that we have a done deal on the choice of director for STAR WARS Episode VII, the collective geekthink can now start wondering just what in the hell the new trilogy will be about. Michael Arndt’s screenplay must be as tightly locked up as the nuclear codes at this point, so speculation is all we can do.
We all know - or at least, we've been told by some sources - that the new trilogy involves the original characters in some way, along with new characters. Maybe we’ll even see some characters from the Prequels show up in some fashion. What we don’t know is how it all ties together. But here’s an interesting bit of information, brought to us by our friends at Slashfilm…
Matthew Vaughn was definitely in discussions with Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm about directing. That much we know. What’s interesting is that according to sources Vaughn may have had the idea of Chloë Grace Moretz in the lead role. Does this mean that the main hero of Arndt’s script is a woman? Or is this something that Vaughn came up with on his own?
We can’t be sure, but I think that it would be a little on the far side to imagine that Vaughn would have been able to dictate story terms to Lucasfilm. Then again, he’s not the director now either, and we don’t know how close it came down to it (although Vaughn’s name was making the rounds ever since Episode VII was announced). Making the main lead a heroine would be a great way to bring a bunch more people into the fold, and frankly, it’s probably long overdue for STAR WARS. The idea of a female lead for Episode VII should be exciting news. STAR WARS shouldn't just be a boy's club.
So… what’s next? Casting, obviously. Bringing back any actors and actresses interested in returning. Remember, Harrison Ford's worked with J. J. Abrams before, with REGARDING HENRY (although Abrams was not the director, he wrote the script). Perhaps Abrams was key in getting Ford's involvement (although we're in pure fan speculation on that). Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have, by accounts, already been approached. It would be nice to get Billy Dee Williams in on this too.
And since it’s J. J. Abrams, I think the real Star War will be between him and the marketing department, as Abrams fights to keep his movie as secret as possible for as long as possible, while marketing will want to put everything out there in a toy explosion. We’ll keep you up to date here at Ain’t It Cool.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 216 total posts 136 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 128 total posts 57 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 610 total posts 53 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 123 total posts 49 posts
- Our First Sense Of Uni's FAST AND THE FURIOUS 7 Strategy?? -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 60 total posts 19 posts
- Jason Momoa to potentially play Doomsday in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!?!? -- 552 total posts 18 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 204 total posts 15 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- The Trailer For The Wachowskis' JUPITER ASCENDING! -- 324 total posts 14 posts