Allow SUPERMAN LIVES To Live By Kickstarting This Doc That Examines Its Demise!!
The Kidd here...
Back before us geeks were pouring over every detail we could get our hands on for the next Superman vision to take the big screen, be it Bryan Singer's SUPERMAN RETURNS or Zack Snyder's MAN OF STEEL, there was the mothership of Superman curiosity - SUPERMAN LIVES. Set to be released in 1998, Superman was set to return to flight after an 11-year hiatus that started with the truly awful SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE (Don't even get me started on the stupidity of Nuclear Man and his fingernails). A Tim Burton-directed Superman movie set to star Nicolas Cage as the Man of Steel which would somewhat follow the popular "Death of Superman" storyline from the comics as scripted by Superman fan Kevin Smith...? Hells yeah... Who didn't want to take a look at that? However, amidst growing budget concerns at Warner Bros. and a widening gap of creative differences between Burton and producer Jon Peters, the film was postponed, Burton went on to do SLEEPY HOLLOW, and that - as they say, my friends - was that. SUPERMAN LIVES was dead, and never to be resurrected in that form again, with everyone from Wolfgang Peterson to McG to J.J. Abrams taking their best shot at Superman before Singer's plan ultimately got the go-ahead.
Over the years since the project crumbled, we've seen bits and pieces of what would have made SUPERMAN LIVES leak out onto the scene. Kevin Smith's draft of the script is out there to see. Plenty of concept art and production art can be found to get an idea as to what Burton had planned. It's not hard to find the design for Superman's suit, which would have been unlike anything we've ever seen him wear before. However, the one thing we've never gotten is an extensive story, from those who were involved in trying to bring this movie together, as to what happened, what went wrong, what killed SUPERMAN LIVES.
But now we have that opportunity. Jon Schnepp, known mostly for his work on METALOCALYPSE and THE VENTURE BROS., has set off a Kickstarter campaign to fund his first feature-length documentary that would tell the story of what happened to SUPERMAN LIVES. He's seeking to talk to as much key personnel that was involved with the film, hopefully leading up to no-holds-barred conversations with the main principles - Smith, Peters, Cage and Burton - to get their takes on where the film was going and why it never got there.
SUPERMAN LIVES is one of the more fascinating debacles to never actually happen in movie history - I think Warner Bros. actually spent something close to $30 million in pre-production before the plug was pulled - and I'd love to hear from the mouths of Burton and Cage why we never got to watch a Superman film certainly unlike any other. Hell, I'm willing to fork over some cash just to hear Jon Peters talk about the giant spider concept alone. So, if the tragic tale of SUPERMAN LIVES is something that interests you, dig into your wallet, your pockets, your seat cushions, wherever... because every penny that goes towards making this doc happen is well spent.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 43 total posts 21 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 134 total posts 14 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 304 total posts 10 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 96 total posts 9 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 34 total posts 8 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 325 total posts 6 posts
-- 32 total posts 5 posts
- ‘That Place Can Be Exhausting!!’ Herc Endorses Tonight’s JUSTIFIED 5.9!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 21 total posts 3 posts