The Wrap Claims The Director Of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Is...
It appears the aptly-named Lucas Shaw of The Wrap just broke the biggest geek story of the year. Citing "an individual with knowledge of the production", Shaw is reporting that J.J. Abrams is set to direct STAR WARS EPISODE VII.
If so... Hurray!
J.J. Abrams's affection for STAR WARS is well known. When he took on STAR TREK for Paramount, he never missed an opportunity to confess that STAR WARS was his true love. So now that he's applied the gee-whiz STAR WARS aesthetic to Gene Roddenberry's "WAGON TRAIN to the Stars", he's going to book first-class accommodations George Lucas's galaxy far, far away (working from a screenplay by TOY STORY 3's Michael Arndt).
What does this mean for STAR TREK? Well, I'm pretty sure STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS will mark Abrams's last time helming a film occuring in that universe. I'm confident he'll continue to produce those movies (should the series continue), but I can't imagine he'll have time to do much more than consult. The Orci & Kurtzman & Lindelof brain trust will probably stay in place, but your guess is as good as mine as to who will direct.
Back to STAR WARS... I think this might be the best-case scenario. When I visited Bad Robot's Santa Monica offices last December, I was impressed by the upbeat atmosphere that pervaded the place. Creatively, people seemed thoroughly engaged and just... happy. If Abrams takes that kind of energy with him to STAR WARS, he could very well come close to recapturing what we loved about the series in the first place - i.e. he'll make it fun again. Isn't that all we ever wanted from the prequels?
Interestingly, The Wrap is reporting that Ben Affleck was one of the other main candidates for the EPISODE VII gig. Fascinating to consider what might've been.
One last thing: Slashfilm's Germain Lussier and I spoke to Abrams off the record last month about STAR WARS. Even off the record, he betrayed nothing. We both walked away convinced he wasn't directing EPISODE VII. You're a crafty bastard, JJ. And now you own the STARs.
Update: Jose David Ortiz unveils the new STAR WARS logo!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 309 total posts 28 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 262 total posts 16 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 582 total posts 16 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 232 total posts 12 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 196 total posts 6 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 198 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 119 total posts 4 posts