What Would Frank Darabont's CONAN Look Like...?
The Kidd here...
There's a really interesting roundtable discussion going on over at io9 between Frank Darabont, Drew Struzan and BEING HUMAN's Sam Witwer (which led to this update on GODZILLA from Darabont). In talking about each other's projects and Frank's plans for LOST ANGELS though, somehow the talk swung around to Darabont's vision for a CONAN film, in the event that he was ever handed the reins and, of course, minus Schwarzenegger in the equation.
So what would a Frank Darabont CONAN movie look like...?
Well, for one, it would star Jon Bernthal, who played Shane on THE WALKING DEAD and is set to front Darabont's LOST ANGELS on TNT. Witwer relayed a story of THE WALKING DEAD's initial casting where Darabont stated if he was doing CONAN, Bernthal would have been the guy he would have cast immediately.
What did Frank see in Jon Bernthal for the role?
"Because he could play what we've missed in Conan today on the screen. He's got some wit and he's got some intelligence. He's a canny, wily, brutal guy. Bernthal could play that, he really could..."
When asked how exactly he would go about making a smart CONAN, Darabont seemed to have a plan in his head for such an approach.
"You go back to Robert E. Howard, there's a lot of heart there and a lot of mysticism and a lot of questing and yearning in that character... How do you make a smart Conan anything? You do what Dark Horse did with their series of comics. They went back to Robert E. Howard, and they have one of the smartest adaptations of Conan. And that's how you do it smart, it's been done."
I know we're getting KING CONAN... but a Frank Darabont take on the character...? Well, it's fun to dream.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 191 total posts 91 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 184 total posts 47 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 122 total posts 31 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 84 total posts 28 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 432 total posts 21 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 206 total posts 11 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 37 total posts 9 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts