Even In Middle-earth, There Are Lawyers, It Seems...
When I'm not writing about movies, I keep fairly busy. I'm no lawyer, but without going into detail, I have some experience with various legal things. I know enough of the law to probably make a total fool of myself. I've seen many a court case, and weaved through many a hearing. But I never thought my geekery and my legal knowledge would ever come together, until now.
Wired has a very interesting article about the contract that Bilbo Baggins entered with into the Dwarves, and if you're both an attorney and a LOTR geek, it makes for fascinating reading. Tolkien and legal writing, at first glance, would seem to go together like ice cream and asparagus, but attorney and author James Daily (THE LAW AND SUPERHEROES) bought the film replica (available on Amazon) and used his considerable legal talents to analyze it. I'm all for fandom, but even this is a bit much for me.
Even so, what's most interesting is Daily's opinion about the One Ring, found by Bilbo in Gollum's cave. Since Bilbo was still a member of the company, it stands to reaosn that anything that he finds that could be considered treasure isn't exactly his, since he signed the contract. He's entitled to 1/14th of anything he "burgles". However, because the Ring is "specialist equipment", and thus used in the course of his duties...
Specialist equipment required in the execution of duties in his professional role as Burglar shall be purchased, procured, purlioned [sic] or obtained by Burglar, by whatsoever method Burglar sees fit.
So Bilbo's in the clear there. But considering some of the events later in the book (and assuming in the movies), I'm curious if Bilbo doesn't breach the contract in some way. There are Nazgul... and then there are lawyers. I'll leave it to you to judge who is worse. (Personally, I'll take the Nazgul.)
It's a fascinating article, and those with a legal bent will likely enjoy it. For those who aren't Clarence Darrow and Atticus Finch, well, you just have to appreciate the work on display regardless.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 164 total posts 115 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 247 total posts 87 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 224 total posts 65 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 84 total posts 39 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 154 total posts 35 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 59 total posts 29 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 176 total posts 28 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 262 total posts 19 posts
- AICN debuts the official poster for the stoner, doomsday, psychotic freak out film DON PEYOTE, starring, written and directed by Don Fogler!!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 72 total posts 17 posts