Ryan Gosling's directorial debut HOW TO CATCH A MONSTER sounds all sorts of crazy and is looking for actors with distinctive faces
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Casting notices are always interesting in that they give you a little insight into a film via character descriptions that might or might not end up being what the character is in the final film.
Case in point, this little bit of open casting for Ryan Gosling's directrial debut, HOW TO CATCH A MONSTER, which films in Detroit this May. The film is described as a "fantasy noir" and sounds crazy. Here's the description:
Set against the surreal dreamscape of a vanishing city, Billy, a single mother of two, is swept into a macabre and dark fantasy underworld while Bones, her 18-yr-old son, discovers a secret road leading to an underwater town. Both Billy and Bones must dive deep into the mystery, if their family is to survive.
If you go to this site you can actually submit yourself to be cast in the flick, which will star Gosling's Drive co-star Christina Hendricks. They're looking for male actors, including the lead, Bones (described as "an introspective loner with an active imagination"), a "feral like boy" age 3-6 named Frankie and the role of Face. Check out Face's character description:
A small-town trouble maker from the wrong side of the tracks. He is the constant, silent companion of the dark and sinister character, BULLY. His trademark is the unusual and distinctive appearance of his face.
These kinds of roles tend to be breakouts for actors that have faces with character, but not the kind of Hollywood perfection that usually gets cast. The casting agents are looking for actors with scars or birthmarks or anything that makes their face distinct and unique.
No matter what, it sounds like Gosling's going into some crazy Terry Gilliam territory with this film, which automatically makes it one of the most interesting projects in development for me. What do you folks think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 394 total posts 138 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 102 total posts 102 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 265 total posts 72 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 87 total posts 57 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 98 total posts 52 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 147 total posts 52 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 70 total posts 42 posts