Ryan Gosling's directorial debut HOW TO CATCH A MONSTER sounds all sorts of crazy and is looking for actors with distinctive faces
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Casting notices are always interesting in that they give you a little insight into a film via character descriptions that might or might not end up being what the character is in the final film.
Case in point, this little bit of open casting for Ryan Gosling's directrial debut, HOW TO CATCH A MONSTER, which films in Detroit this May. The film is described as a "fantasy noir" and sounds crazy. Here's the description:
Set against the surreal dreamscape of a vanishing city, Billy, a single mother of two, is swept into a macabre and dark fantasy underworld while Bones, her 18-yr-old son, discovers a secret road leading to an underwater town. Both Billy and Bones must dive deep into the mystery, if their family is to survive.
If you go to this site you can actually submit yourself to be cast in the flick, which will star Gosling's Drive co-star Christina Hendricks. They're looking for male actors, including the lead, Bones (described as "an introspective loner with an active imagination"), a "feral like boy" age 3-6 named Frankie and the role of Face. Check out Face's character description:
A small-town trouble maker from the wrong side of the tracks. He is the constant, silent companion of the dark and sinister character, BULLY. His trademark is the unusual and distinctive appearance of his face.
These kinds of roles tend to be breakouts for actors that have faces with character, but not the kind of Hollywood perfection that usually gets cast. The casting agents are looking for actors with scars or birthmarks or anything that makes their face distinct and unique.
No matter what, it sounds like Gosling's going into some crazy Terry Gilliam territory with this film, which automatically makes it one of the most interesting projects in development for me. What do you folks think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 209 total posts 49 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 91 total posts 42 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 67 total posts 22 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 50 total posts 20 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 176 total posts 17 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 507 total posts 11 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 127 total posts 8 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 74 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 61 total posts 6 posts
- "Alright boys, it's Howdy-Doody time!" Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, and Don Johnson do the southern noir thing in this COLD IN JULY trailer! -- 26 total posts 4 posts