Talk of a Gremlins remake/reboot/whatever is going around again...
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Vulture has a story that claims they're hearing Warner Bros is trying to get Spielberg's approval to remake/reboot Gremlins and that if they are able to make a deal with him that we'll be seeing a new version of Gremlins in the coming years.
Are you there, Steven? It's me, Quint. If Vulture's story is close to being right and you're what's standing between Warner Bros and a crazy remake of Gremlins, will you be the guy all of us fans want you to be and either stonewall it or take a very active role in producing the movie and make it a sequel/reboot with Joe Dante at the helm?
Listen, I talk a lot on this site about how awesome practical effects are, but I'm not blind to how much better CG has gotten over the years. Call me old fashioned, but the thought of a CG Gremlins movie irks me so much I start seeing red. The character of the Gremlins (and the mogwai) is akin to the character of the Muppets. They live and breathe because of the puppetry involved. There's so much CG could do to enhance a Gremlins movie by removing rods, cables and even the puppeteers themselves, but you know if WB gets to do the remake/reboot they're going full CG.
For years Joe Dante has been trying to get a Gremlins 3 off the ground, but the wall he kept hitting at WB was that goddamn CG wall. He claims (and rightly so) that using puppets is still cheaper than going CG crazy.
So, Steve... bubby... No one will fault you if you decide to approve this as long as you bring Joe back and fully stand behind his puppet-filled vision. He can make a new movie that is all about restarting the franchise while not ignoring the previous films. I'd be down for that. Hell, he might even be able to steal Phoebe Cates back from Kevin Kline for a bit. But Steven, you're going to catch a whole lotta hell if you take the money and run on this one. Just fair warning.
Don't make Gizmo sad. Please.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts