Talk of a Gremlins remake/reboot/whatever is going around again...
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Vulture has a story that claims they're hearing Warner Bros is trying to get Spielberg's approval to remake/reboot Gremlins and that if they are able to make a deal with him that we'll be seeing a new version of Gremlins in the coming years.
Are you there, Steven? It's me, Quint. If Vulture's story is close to being right and you're what's standing between Warner Bros and a crazy remake of Gremlins, will you be the guy all of us fans want you to be and either stonewall it or take a very active role in producing the movie and make it a sequel/reboot with Joe Dante at the helm?
Listen, I talk a lot on this site about how awesome practical effects are, but I'm not blind to how much better CG has gotten over the years. Call me old fashioned, but the thought of a CG Gremlins movie irks me so much I start seeing red. The character of the Gremlins (and the mogwai) is akin to the character of the Muppets. They live and breathe because of the puppetry involved. There's so much CG could do to enhance a Gremlins movie by removing rods, cables and even the puppeteers themselves, but you know if WB gets to do the remake/reboot they're going full CG.
For years Joe Dante has been trying to get a Gremlins 3 off the ground, but the wall he kept hitting at WB was that goddamn CG wall. He claims (and rightly so) that using puppets is still cheaper than going CG crazy.
So, Steve... bubby... No one will fault you if you decide to approve this as long as you bring Joe back and fully stand behind his puppet-filled vision. He can make a new movie that is all about restarting the franchise while not ignoring the previous films. I'd be down for that. Hell, he might even be able to steal Phoebe Cates back from Kevin Kline for a bit. But Steven, you're going to catch a whole lotta hell if you take the money and run on this one. Just fair warning.
Don't make Gizmo sad. Please.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘Darkness Will Devour Them All!!’ Sunday Brings Antepenultimate GAME OF THRONES For HBO!! -- 227 total posts 9 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 781 total posts 8 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 440 total posts 4 posts
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 1144 total posts 3 posts
Ben Affleck Tonight Hosts
SNL’s 38th Season Finale!! -- 74 total posts 2 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1434 total posts 2 posts
- Here's A Behind-The-Scenes Look At MAN OF STEEL With New Footage! Also... Is Supergirl In The Prequel Comic? -- 238 total posts 2 posts
- 1st Trailer for Jean Pierre Jeunet's THE YOUNG AND PRODIGIOUS SPIVET!!! Joy Follows... -- 65 total posts 1 post
HERCULES ON THE RADIO!!
Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks About STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS, Next Week’s HANNIBAL, MAD MEN, GAME OF THRONES, The New Fall Shows And More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT/11pm ET!! -- 228 total posts 1 post
- EUROPA REPORT Trailer Imagines A Scientifically Realistic Trip To One Of Jupiter's Moons! -- 105 total posts 1 post