Hercules Says The SEX IN THE CITY Prequel THE CARRIE DIARIES Is Better Than Average By The CW Standards!!
“Gossip Girl” is gone but the “Gossip Girl” creators are already back with drama “The Carrie Diaries,” the tale of the “Sex and the City” character when she was a Connecticut 16-year-old commuting to her first internship in 1984 Manhattan.
To damn it with faint praise, it is a bit better than most of the pilots that found their way onto the CW – but it’s certainly not in the league of the netlet’s beguiling if short-lived “Life Unexpected.”
“Carrie Diaries” is the creation of Amy Harris (working from the young-adult novels by Candace Bushnell), who wrote on both HBO’s “Sex and the City” and “Gossip Girl.” Josh Schwartz, another “Gossip” alum, is aboard as producer -- but in quality the new show strays much closer to the mediocre “Gossip” than Schwartz’ touching and often hilarious Fox soap “The OC.”
(I seem to recall Schwartz previously oversaw a 1980s-set prequel pilot that followed the teenage years of one of the mothers in “Gossip Girl.” Or did I just dream that?)
It’s fun to revisit all the ‘80s MTV/John Hughes songs (there are a ton of them in the pilot), but I wonder if producers will pony up for a lot more of these tunes subsequent to the first hour.
I confess the first episode isn’t really compelling enough to make me stick around to find out. Better perhaps to seek out Anne Beatts’ “Square Pegs,” the far more interesting 1982 high school sitcom starring the teenage Sarah Jessica Parker (who, it turns out, looked nothing like AnnaSophia Robb).
... succeeds on its own nostalgic terms. …
... a fair to middling CW teenage soap opera with some nice performances … It’s not relationship material, but you wouldn’t feel guilty about spending a night with it. But if you watched and enjoyed “Sex and the City,” it’s pretty unlikely you’ll be able to take its new prequel (beginning Monday night) that benignly. …
... The situations are stock — John Hughes wrote this playbook pretty thoroughly — and the dialogue does not exactly crackle. But it is all well-staged and believably played and at times it becomes quite lyrical and, even, moving. …
... Writer Amy B. Harris has crafted a clever, credible script, carefully adding a few veiled life lessons within the witty dialogue …
... there’s not enough Visine in the world to soothe the eyeball-rolling that greets the arrival of CW’s “Sex and the City” prequel series, “The Carrie Diaries.” But even here, several artistic dimensions away from Hannah Horvath and “Girls,” the allure of a story about a young woman’s self-discovery in New York is indomitable. And, pleasant surprise, “The Carrie Diaries’s” premiere episode is a nimble and entertaining trip back to Carrie Bradshaw’s high school years. …
... doesn't reinvent the teen drama but it does offer a comparatively tame take on the teen years, at least in the pilot. …
... isn’t bad enough to despise. It’s a sweet, somewhat bland portrait of an Everygirl …
... at 16 she has other interests, namely the cute rich kid/rebel Sebastian (Austin Butler) and the lure of another man – Manhattan. Yes, that last line comes straight from The Carrie Diaries and it’s clumsy, as are a number of others, but there’s something sweet and engaging about this series even though it’s not so much about drawing hearts on notebooks as it is giving blowjobs and learning to party in Manhattan. …
... primarily resembles "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." Both involve exploring the youthful version of a well-known fictional character, and while there's moderate intrigue in seeing what forged the man or woman, the setting is so different and touchstones to the main franchise so glancing that the result is only fleetingly interesting and mostly inert. …
8 p.m. Monday. The CW.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 183 total posts 183 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 259 total posts 158 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 268 total posts 130 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 77 total posts 77 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 163 total posts 72 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 69 total posts 69 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 116 total posts 60 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 68 total posts 40 posts