Hercules Won’t Obfuscate!!
NBC’s DECEPTION Is Awful!!
A soapy mystery from writer-producer Liz Heldens, who earlier created NBC’s “Mercy,” “Deception” follows a sexy young cop who goes undercover for the FBI to solve the murder of the pharmaceutical heiress who was once her closest friend.
“Deception” stars Meagan Goode (“Brick,” “Saw V”) and “Argo” vets Victor Garber (“Alias”) and Tate Donovan (“Damages,” “Argo”).
Critics are comparing “Deception” to ABC’s “Revenge” and “Dirty Sexy Money” and Cinemax’s “Hunted,” all of which are also about infiltrating the ranks of the depraved superwealthy.
It reminded me very slightly of the much, much better “Veronica Mars,” which also dealt with a middle-class girl looking into the grisly murder of her heiress best friend.
It’s a bad show. The pilot is charmless and eye-rollingly silly, plus thick with tedious, ridiculous characters, dialogue and incident. No character sillier than the dead girl’s relentlessly evil stepmother.
Don’t forget: “Spaghetti4.”
... if you like what “Revenge” has become in Season 2, with the sort of round-and-round plot machinations that never really get anywhere, then “Deception” is for you. But you’ll also have to like moldy stereotypes about rich people, because the Bowers family is one big multigenerational cliché. …
... "Deception," in trying for something more "real" and not quite getting there, feels fake. There is little chemistry between the people who are supposed to have it. …
... The writing (Heldens and Peter Elkoff) is atrocious, the direction (Peter Horton and Jonas Pate) slow and flabby, and the performances run the gamut from sad to just adequate, but even proven actors like Garber couldn't make us care about any of this. …
... settle in for what’s sure to be a bumpy, semi-compelling and sometimes unintentionally humorous ride. …
... NBC's pretty terrible "Deception" seems like a play for fans of "Revenge," which itself has declined in quality in its second season. Even so, "Deception" is a significantly less appealing series because it relies almost entirely on unbelievable plot turns. …
... just an unspooling of murder-mystery clichés, scene-to-scene logic problems, and characters who are bland and far from intriguing. …
... We're ready and willing to be deceived. We just expect you to work harder and better than this.
... doesn't quite rise to that guilty-pleasure level. …
10 p.m. Monday. NBC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 321 total posts 321 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 174 total posts 174 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 151 total posts 151 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 293 total posts 138 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 218 total posts 103 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 63 total posts 63 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1804 total posts 51 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 133 total posts 51 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 79 total posts 48 posts