Hercules Won’t Obfuscate!!
NBC’s DECEPTION Is Awful!!
A soapy mystery from writer-producer Liz Heldens, who earlier created NBC’s “Mercy,” “Deception” follows a sexy young cop who goes undercover for the FBI to solve the murder of the pharmaceutical heiress who was once her closest friend.
“Deception” stars Meagan Goode (“Brick,” “Saw V”) and “Argo” vets Victor Garber (“Alias”) and Tate Donovan (“Damages,” “Argo”).
Critics are comparing “Deception” to ABC’s “Revenge” and “Dirty Sexy Money” and Cinemax’s “Hunted,” all of which are also about infiltrating the ranks of the depraved superwealthy.
It reminded me very slightly of the much, much better “Veronica Mars,” which also dealt with a middle-class girl looking into the grisly murder of her heiress best friend.
It’s a bad show. The pilot is charmless and eye-rollingly silly, plus thick with tedious, ridiculous characters, dialogue and incident. No character sillier than the dead girl’s relentlessly evil stepmother.
Don’t forget: “Spaghetti4.”
... if you like what “Revenge” has become in Season 2, with the sort of round-and-round plot machinations that never really get anywhere, then “Deception” is for you. But you’ll also have to like moldy stereotypes about rich people, because the Bowers family is one big multigenerational cliché. …
... "Deception," in trying for something more "real" and not quite getting there, feels fake. There is little chemistry between the people who are supposed to have it. …
... The writing (Heldens and Peter Elkoff) is atrocious, the direction (Peter Horton and Jonas Pate) slow and flabby, and the performances run the gamut from sad to just adequate, but even proven actors like Garber couldn't make us care about any of this. …
... settle in for what’s sure to be a bumpy, semi-compelling and sometimes unintentionally humorous ride. …
... NBC's pretty terrible "Deception" seems like a play for fans of "Revenge," which itself has declined in quality in its second season. Even so, "Deception" is a significantly less appealing series because it relies almost entirely on unbelievable plot turns. …
... just an unspooling of murder-mystery clichés, scene-to-scene logic problems, and characters who are bland and far from intriguing. …
... We're ready and willing to be deceived. We just expect you to work harder and better than this.
... doesn't quite rise to that guilty-pleasure level. …
10 p.m. Monday. NBC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- AICN COMICS PODCAST: The @$$Holes take stabs at MAN OF STEEL, plus a review of Scott Snyder’s SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! -- 137 total posts 130 posts
- Sweet knights of Colombus!! A new trailer for ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES has been unleashed!! -- 121 total posts 121 posts
- Harry's 25th Picks & Peeks of 2013!!! With THINGS TO COME, OCTAMAN, Bette Davis, STOKER, HOWLING, LIFEFORCE & more! -- 337 total posts 117 posts
- A Few Nice "Making Of' Pics From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2!! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- Ages And Genders!! Casting Breakdown For Seven Characters Headed For J.J. Abrams’ STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?? -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- WWZ blah-ditty, blah, blah, blah! AICN HORROR’s got a truly unique zombie film you should check out instead called THE BATTERY! -- 89 total posts 84 posts
- PROMETHEUS 2 now has a writer!!! -- 714 total posts 75 posts
Jonathan Demme To Direct
AMC’s First Sci-Fi Pilot!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Wanna hear the least annoying sound in the world? Repeat after me: Universal picks up DUMB AND DUMBER TO!! -- 120 total posts 65 posts
- David S. Goyer And Mr. Beaks Talk MAN OF STEEL Spoilers! DA VINCI'S DEMONS,100 BULLETS And JUSTICE LEAGUE Also Discussed! -- 558 total posts 61 posts