Hercules Won’t Obfuscate!!
NBC’s DECEPTION Is Awful!!
A soapy mystery from writer-producer Liz Heldens, who earlier created NBC’s “Mercy,” “Deception” follows a sexy young cop who goes undercover for the FBI to solve the murder of the pharmaceutical heiress who was once her closest friend.
“Deception” stars Meagan Goode (“Brick,” “Saw V”) and “Argo” vets Victor Garber (“Alias”) and Tate Donovan (“Damages,” “Argo”).
Critics are comparing “Deception” to ABC’s “Revenge” and “Dirty Sexy Money” and Cinemax’s “Hunted,” all of which are also about infiltrating the ranks of the depraved superwealthy.
It reminded me very slightly of the much, much better “Veronica Mars,” which also dealt with a middle-class girl looking into the grisly murder of her heiress best friend.
It’s a bad show. The pilot is charmless and eye-rollingly silly, plus thick with tedious, ridiculous characters, dialogue and incident. No character sillier than the dead girl’s relentlessly evil stepmother.
Don’t forget: “Spaghetti4.”
... if you like what “Revenge” has become in Season 2, with the sort of round-and-round plot machinations that never really get anywhere, then “Deception” is for you. But you’ll also have to like moldy stereotypes about rich people, because the Bowers family is one big multigenerational cliché. …
... "Deception," in trying for something more "real" and not quite getting there, feels fake. There is little chemistry between the people who are supposed to have it. …
... The writing (Heldens and Peter Elkoff) is atrocious, the direction (Peter Horton and Jonas Pate) slow and flabby, and the performances run the gamut from sad to just adequate, but even proven actors like Garber couldn't make us care about any of this. …
... settle in for what’s sure to be a bumpy, semi-compelling and sometimes unintentionally humorous ride. …
... NBC's pretty terrible "Deception" seems like a play for fans of "Revenge," which itself has declined in quality in its second season. Even so, "Deception" is a significantly less appealing series because it relies almost entirely on unbelievable plot turns. …
... just an unspooling of murder-mystery clichés, scene-to-scene logic problems, and characters who are bland and far from intriguing. …
... We're ready and willing to be deceived. We just expect you to work harder and better than this.
... doesn't quite rise to that guilty-pleasure level. …
10 p.m. Monday. NBC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 495 total posts 155 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 173 total posts 141 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 129 total posts 129 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 123 total posts 123 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 195 total posts 47 posts
- Check Out This Trailer for British Sci-Fi Film THE ANOMALY! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 116 total posts 40 posts
- ‘This Place Is Bullshit!!’ The 2-Minute Season-Two Trailer For Netflix’s ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK!! -- 40 total posts 27 posts