Tests for HONG KONG PHOOEY & MARVIN THE MARTIAN movies show immediate reasons to despair
Hey folks, Harry here... The success of the SMURFS seems to have inspired Warner Brothers to dig in their own incredible library of awesome to attempt to do something similar. Taking their characters and making CG / Live Action hybrids. Now I'm not immediately opposed to this idea. Hell, I love HONG KONG PHOOEY and MARVIN THE MARTIAN - and I could absolutely imagine great theatrical opportunities with them. Take the HONG KONG PHOOEY part of this video. The voice characterization, the design of the character... both are adequate, but of course need much finessing - but the mistake is to turn HONG KONG PHOOEY into a potty humor character. If you work to play HONG KONG PHOOEY as an Inspector Clouseau type that has crazy amazing spastic Kung Fu whiz bang... If you put together a soundtrack along the lines of KILL BILL, never use the Kung Fu Fighting song! Also - don't leave SPOT as a regular looking cat, if you're going to animate Hong Kong Phooey - then create the world that he belongs to. Spot needs to be a fat cat in a striped shirt. Now, looks like Eddie Murphy is up to take Scatman Crothers' place on this film... and with that casting, I'd actually prefer that Alex Zamm wasn't directing this. He's behind such jewels as INSPECTOR GADGET 2, BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA 2 & TOOTH FAIRY 2. Actually, if I could pick a director for HONG KONG PHOOEY, it'd be Brett Ratner. His aesthetic is actually ideal - and his love of Lalo Schifrin would be a perfect mix with this character.
As for MARVIN THE MARTIAN - I loathe the notion of MARVIN THE MARTIAN being used in this kind of film. I just wish that Paul Dini was in charge of a MARVIN THE MARTIAN film and had license to use the other Looney Tunes characters and in particular Duck Dodgers. But it has to start with a great story. First and foremost. Here's the tests that have shown up online, what do you think? HONG KONG PHOOEY was destined for a 2014 release date, whereas Marvin is in development hell - where it looks like it deserves to be.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts