Tests for HONG KONG PHOOEY & MARVIN THE MARTIAN movies show immediate reasons to despair
Hey folks, Harry here... The success of the SMURFS seems to have inspired Warner Brothers to dig in their own incredible library of awesome to attempt to do something similar. Taking their characters and making CG / Live Action hybrids. Now I'm not immediately opposed to this idea. Hell, I love HONG KONG PHOOEY and MARVIN THE MARTIAN - and I could absolutely imagine great theatrical opportunities with them. Take the HONG KONG PHOOEY part of this video. The voice characterization, the design of the character... both are adequate, but of course need much finessing - but the mistake is to turn HONG KONG PHOOEY into a potty humor character. If you work to play HONG KONG PHOOEY as an Inspector Clouseau type that has crazy amazing spastic Kung Fu whiz bang... If you put together a soundtrack along the lines of KILL BILL, never use the Kung Fu Fighting song! Also - don't leave SPOT as a regular looking cat, if you're going to animate Hong Kong Phooey - then create the world that he belongs to. Spot needs to be a fat cat in a striped shirt. Now, looks like Eddie Murphy is up to take Scatman Crothers' place on this film... and with that casting, I'd actually prefer that Alex Zamm wasn't directing this. He's behind such jewels as INSPECTOR GADGET 2, BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA 2 & TOOTH FAIRY 2. Actually, if I could pick a director for HONG KONG PHOOEY, it'd be Brett Ratner. His aesthetic is actually ideal - and his love of Lalo Schifrin would be a perfect mix with this character.
As for MARVIN THE MARTIAN - I loathe the notion of MARVIN THE MARTIAN being used in this kind of film. I just wish that Paul Dini was in charge of a MARVIN THE MARTIAN film and had license to use the other Looney Tunes characters and in particular Duck Dodgers. But it has to start with a great story. First and foremost. Here's the tests that have shown up online, what do you think? HONG KONG PHOOEY was destined for a 2014 release date, whereas Marvin is in development hell - where it looks like it deserves to be.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 247 total posts 122 posts
HERCULES ON THE RADIO!!
Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks About STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS, Next Week’s HANNIBAL, MAD MEN, GAME OF THRONES, The New Fall Shows And More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT/11pm ET!! -- 220 total posts 105 posts
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 988 total posts 63 posts
- Hey! Fat Face! Here's The New Teaser To ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES! -- 201 total posts 60 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 312 total posts 54 posts
- Here's A Behind-The-Scenes Look At MAN OF STEEL With New Footage! Also... Is Supergirl In The Prequel Comic? -- 114 total posts 37 posts
‘Darkness Will Devour Them All!!’
Sunday Brings Antepenultimate GAME OF THRONES For HBO!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts
Ben Affleck Tonight Hosts
SNL’s 38th Season Finale!! -- 46 total posts 13 posts
- 1st Trailer for Jean Pierre Jeunet's THE YOUNG AND PRODIGIOUS SPIVET!!! Joy Follows... -- 29 total posts 13 posts
- New PACIFIC RIM Trailer Takes A Battleship Upside The Head Of Every Other Summer Movie Trailer! -- 281 total posts 13 posts