Tests for HONG KONG PHOOEY & MARVIN THE MARTIAN movies show immediate reasons to despair
Hey folks, Harry here... The success of the SMURFS seems to have inspired Warner Brothers to dig in their own incredible library of awesome to attempt to do something similar. Taking their characters and making CG / Live Action hybrids. Now I'm not immediately opposed to this idea. Hell, I love HONG KONG PHOOEY and MARVIN THE MARTIAN - and I could absolutely imagine great theatrical opportunities with them. Take the HONG KONG PHOOEY part of this video. The voice characterization, the design of the character... both are adequate, but of course need much finessing - but the mistake is to turn HONG KONG PHOOEY into a potty humor character. If you work to play HONG KONG PHOOEY as an Inspector Clouseau type that has crazy amazing spastic Kung Fu whiz bang... If you put together a soundtrack along the lines of KILL BILL, never use the Kung Fu Fighting song! Also - don't leave SPOT as a regular looking cat, if you're going to animate Hong Kong Phooey - then create the world that he belongs to. Spot needs to be a fat cat in a striped shirt. Now, looks like Eddie Murphy is up to take Scatman Crothers' place on this film... and with that casting, I'd actually prefer that Alex Zamm wasn't directing this. He's behind such jewels as INSPECTOR GADGET 2, BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA 2 & TOOTH FAIRY 2. Actually, if I could pick a director for HONG KONG PHOOEY, it'd be Brett Ratner. His aesthetic is actually ideal - and his love of Lalo Schifrin would be a perfect mix with this character.
As for MARVIN THE MARTIAN - I loathe the notion of MARVIN THE MARTIAN being used in this kind of film. I just wish that Paul Dini was in charge of a MARVIN THE MARTIAN film and had license to use the other Looney Tunes characters and in particular Duck Dodgers. But it has to start with a great story. First and foremost. Here's the tests that have shown up online, what do you think? HONG KONG PHOOEY was destined for a 2014 release date, whereas Marvin is in development hell - where it looks like it deserves to be.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 35 total posts 18 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 221 total posts 17 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 87 total posts 11 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- SXSW 2014: Jeremy Finds THAT GUY DICK MILLER A Warm, Worthy Tribute To A National Treasure! -- 13 total posts 7 posts
- Will the sun come out tomorrow!?! The first trailer for the remake of ANNIE is here! -- 568 total posts 6 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 5 total posts 5 posts