Capone believes CIRQUE DU SOLEIL: WORLDS APART is the most appropriate use of 3-D since AVATAR!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
One could make a case (and look at me doing so) that CIRQUE DU SOLEIL: WORLDS APART is the finest and most legitimate use of 3-D since the format came back into style thanks to AVATAR. Now please realize that I'm talking about the nature of the work—as opposed to the quality—being well suited to the format. But the truth is, I had a blast watching WORLDS APART, a sort of Greatest Hits of the Cirque's Las Vegas productions, including O, Ká, Zumanity, Viva Elvis, Believe, Mystère, and even the Beatles tribute show Love.
The thread that brings these incredible productions in one movie is the "story" of Mia (Erica Linz), a woman who is drawn to a circus that has come to town and has different acts in various test. In the first tent, she spots The Aerialist (a trapeze artist played by Igor Zaripov), but when he vanishes after he falls from on high, she goes from tent to tent searching for him. In each tent is a different production, and after Mia checks if anyone has seen her aerialist, she watches their little show and moves on. But man, what about these shows. I've never actually seen a Cirque du Soleil production in person, but these brilliantly conceived, technically perfect performances are inspirational. And while the filmmakers don't often throw things at the camera, the scope and massive spaces involved in each show lend themselves brilliant to the depth of field advantages of 3-D.
Is the entire conceit behind Cirque du Soleil ridiculous? I guess some cynical bastards out there might think so, but for those of us who still get a thrill from awe-inspiring acrobatics, tricks of perception and gravity, and beautiful women in skintight body stockings, WORLDS APART seems to fit the bill quite nicely. I'm not even sure how you review a film like this. I can't exactly describe each set piece — that would be boring—but I can tell you that director Andrew Adamson (James Cameron is listed as executive producer, and I'm guessing his camera had a lot to do with this film getting made) tends to keep his direction simple, concentrating on getting as much of the image on screen and maintaining the massive scale of each performance. The artistry and athleticism fill the screen, and the 3-D makes it pop. If you're willing to open your mind, you likely have a great time with this unique wok.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Dec. 21, 2012, 2:36 p.m. CST
by Ultron ver 2.0
I for one look forward to 3D women in silk body stockings doing ridiculous stretchy things.
Dec. 21, 2012, 3:09 p.m. CST
I can imagine this movie being stunning in 3D. Ill give it a chance Capone. And find a way to see "O" live before you die. Thank me later.
Dec. 21, 2012, 3:40 p.m. CST
by Fries Against
Dec. 21, 2012, 4:30 p.m. CST
Dec. 21, 2012, 5:08 p.m. CST
I totallly agree with ufoclub1977 that this type of project is perfectly suited for 48fps and 3D. That technology is exactly right for trying to capture the essence of "being there live."
by The Reluctant Austinite
Live concerts, performance pieces and location centric documentaries like Herzog makes are perfect for these new technologies, while I still prefer the more painterly and impressionistic medium of film for fantasy subjects. I just don't think "The Hobbit" was really proper film or subject matter ripe for showing the best use of either.
Dec. 21, 2012, 5:44 p.m. CST
by PRESIDENT BALTAR
Dec. 21, 2012, 9:07 p.m. CST
by Julius Dithers
That show in 48fps in 3-D would be revelatory.
Dec. 22, 2012, 3:07 a.m. CST
Even Ridley Scott said that if you think about it basically, Avatar is an animated film. And it is. I have always preferred how ANYTHING looks that is filmed in true 3D vs. 3D rendered objects/cgi crap in terms of sheer friendliness on the eyes and look in general, even if the movie sucks.
Dec. 22, 2012, 3:08 a.m. CST
Dec. 22, 2012, 5:03 a.m. CST
Make good stir fry! You buy now!
Dec. 22, 2012, 3:43 p.m. CST
Capone find a way to see one of the shows live. It may be a little pricey, but I think it's worth it.
Dec. 22, 2012, 11:30 p.m. CST
President Baltar's comment for about a month now!!
Dec. 23, 2012, 4:01 p.m. CST
first I have to say while I did enjoy Worlds apart and it looks stunning, Its hardly the best use of 3D since Avatar. There have been a number of films that have made just as good if not better use of the format. Life of Pi 3D being one.
by Levi Tinker
There have been a number of films that have made just as good if not better use of the format. Life of Pi 3D being one. Another thing you really can not compare a movie such as Cirque worlds away 3D to a regular feature length movie, Worlds away is closer to a great 3D IMAX feature, than to a standard commercialy released movie. Thats not taking anything away from Worlds Away its just saying you honestly can not compare them. Again the 3D is stunning, but its no more stunning and put to great use than Life of Pi 3D. To me personally that headline looks like something you write to try and get noticed by the studio, to be considered as a print or tv Ad or home video package review quote. please dont take that the wrong way but it does (to me atleast) come off that way.
Dec. 23, 2012, 4:03 p.m. CST
by Levi Tinker
Dec. 23, 2012, 11:16 p.m. CST
A great sampling of many of CDS's "greatest hits." A wonderful use of 3D as well. If you ever get a chance to see a live show, make sure to do so.
Dec. 27, 2012, 3 p.m. CST
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 341 total posts 47 posts
- Another Talented Filmmaker Joins The DOCTOR STRANGE Directin' Derby! -- 44 total posts 44 posts