ScoreKeeper Has Five CDs of David Newman's THE PHANTOM To Give Away!
Greetings! ScoreKeeper here with one of two remaining soundtrack giveaways scheduled before the world, uhhh…er…I mean, year comes to an end. First up is a really fantastic comic-adapted score for a film that doesn't get much love. It's David Newman's rousing score for THE PHANTOM (1996) starring Billy Zane, Kristy Swanson and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
Regardless of what you may think about the film itself, it's tough to argue against the merits of Newman's work. It's a bold adventure score full of well-balanced orchestral and electronic textures harkening back to a golden age of cinema. It has a "dark hero" tone reminiscent of Elfman's BATMAN (1989) where rousing themes signal the rise and fall of this mysterious character.
La-La Land's expanded edition includes almost thirty minutes more music than the original 1996 album soundtrack release.
I have five CDs of this epic score and I need to find new homes for all of them. What do you need to do to put yourself in position to be a winner?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject: I ONCE KILLED THE PHANTOM and include your name, mailing address, a valid email address, and your best reason for liking or disliking this movie. I'll collect all the entries, then randomly select the five winners who will then receive a CD of THE PHANTOM by David Newman courtesy of La-La Land Records. The deadline for submission is Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 11:59pm CST. Only one entry per person. International entries will be accepted. Duplicates will be discarded.
For more information including audio samples check out La-La Land's web site HERE.
Hurry before you have to kill the Phantom again...
If you're on Twitter look me up...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Dec. 11, 2012, 3:03 p.m. CST
Dec. 11, 2012, 3:25 p.m. CST
by Mikey Wood
I sent my entry in and neglected to include my contact info. GENIUS. I understand: No duplicates. I'm sending another anyway : )
Dec. 11, 2012, 3:26 p.m. CST
I WANT I WANT I WANT IWANT!!!
Dec. 11, 2012, 3:38 p.m. CST
I thought this movie is the reason why it took comic book movies so long to adapt into successful franchise.
Dec. 11, 2012, 3:45 p.m. CST
A rocketeer/the phantom/the shadow marathon is not a bad saturday afternoon.
Dec. 11, 2012, 4:32 p.m. CST
Loved it. A fun flick, a sense of humour about itself ("No smoking in the Skull Room!"), a pumped-up Billy Zane, and a young CZJ. And you got a free skull ring with admission.
Dec. 11, 2012, 4:34 p.m. CST
Dec. 11, 2012, 4:39 p.m. CST
I liked that movie, much better than the sci-fy remake. I wished there had been a sequel to it. Billy Zane is an underdog in the movie industry. One of his best roles was in Demon Knight, a tales from the crypt movie. He was fun to watch.
Dec. 11, 2012, 5:08 p.m. CST
by Mephisto the Great
Though I think I've seen the movie once, back when it was released. This was when every old comic book idea was brought to life and made to look and sound like Burton's Batman. The Phantom, The Shadow, Dick Tracy...I'm surprised there wasn't a Mutt n'Jeff movie out there somewhere.
Dec. 11, 2012, 6:21 p.m. CST
by Tom Fremgen
that thing on SyFy. It was good movie, though it could have been better.
Dec. 11, 2012, 9:06 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
...instead of deafening subwoofer taiko drumming for three hours straight.
Dec. 11, 2012, 9:32 p.m. CST
by Gary Makin
Dec. 11, 2012, 9:32 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
...then why do we have to expend effort describing what was good and bad about the movie?
Dec. 12, 2012, 12:25 a.m. CST
Couldn't pass it up. So, I hope I win this sweepstakes!
Dec. 12, 2012, 1:54 a.m. CST
Michael Kamen's "Die Hard With A vengeance": A two CD set of the whole damn thing....finally. Plus the complete "Untouchables." As far as "The Phantom" goes: the movie was risible at best, but the score was a an enjoyable piece to make up for the visuals.
Dec. 12, 2012, 7:02 a.m. CST
And then gets tragically lost.
Dec. 12, 2012, 7:28 a.m. CST
Doc Savage has great set design, impeccible casting, a pretty good story... and nothing else. The narration is enough to kill it. The Phantom suffers from the same disease that Remo Williams did; it was so enamored with its real stunts that they spend too much running time on them and lose the audience. Both are mediocre films with great films buried inside just waiting for someone to edit them for pacing.
Dec. 12, 2012, 7:44 a.m. CST
You'd need God as your editor. Another Phantom observation: Billy Zane is way better playing bad guys.
Dec. 12, 2012, 8:16 a.m. CST
This is a great movie-- I'd put it up with Rocketeer. Great pre-CG action-- this is closer to an Indiana Jones film than the last Indiana Jones.
Dec. 13, 2012, 2:36 a.m. CST
It's silly as all hell, but I love it anyway. On top of that it's got a pre-Dexter James Remar as the villains henchman!
Dec. 13, 2012, 3:21 p.m. CST
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 428 total posts 196 posts
- The big screen adaptation of ASSASSIN'S CREED has been given a release date!!! -- 94 total posts 80 posts
- AVENGERS 2 might be filming in SOUTH AFRICA, does this mean that Black Panther is going to be a part of the action!?! -- 289 total posts 43 posts
- Capone reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and considers the art of messing with canon and why it doesn't bother him!!! -- 429 total posts 37 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1383 total posts 36 posts
- Christopher Nolan maybe, could be, might be, directing the next BOND film!?!?! -- 495 total posts 20 posts
- Did you guys like RED 2? Oh it's not out yet, well who cares?? Get ready for RED 3 anyways!!! -- 77 total posts 20 posts
- ‘I Am Not Fucking Like You!!’ The 3-Minute Trailer For The Rampling-Enhanced Final Season Of DEXTER!! -- 61 total posts 19 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 84 total posts 19 posts
- EUROPA REPORT Trailer Imagines A Scientifically Realistic Trip To One Of Jupiter's Moons! -- 69 total posts 12 posts