AICN HORROR talks with director Andrew Traucki about his new film THE JUNGLE and how YOU can support the film!!!
Greetings, all. Ambush Bug here with another AICN HORROR: ZOMBIES & SHARKS column. I had a chance to talk with director Andrew Traucki about his new film THE JUNGLE. The film is almost finished and Andrew is asking fans to help out in finishing the film on its IndieGoGo page. THE JUNGLE is the third animal themed horror film after the alligator horror BLACK WATER and the harrowing THE REEF. Here’s what Andrew had to say…
AMBUSH BUG (BUG): THE JUNGLE is the third animal film in your trilogy. What is it about man vs nature films that fascinate you so much that you keep returning to the theme?
ANDREW TRAUCKI (AT): I remembered the other day that I really wanted to be David Attenborough- you know out filming wild animals- maybe its got something to do with that. It’s some sort of repressed Freudian expression that I never got to make wildlife docs? Or it could be that I love wondering what I would do in a survival situation and it so happens that Australia has lots of big human eating creatures.
BUG: This film looks to be a found footage style film. What made you choose that style for this film in particular?
AT: This style of film making seems so of the time, you know what with reality TV and the internet and everyone having a digital camera etc etc. So I wanted to try it. Also I wanted a challenge and these types of films are challenging in that they have to feel really and that brings with it a whole bunch of limitations. For example you can’t just resort to conventional coverage of getting the wide then close ups and cut aways because this is all from one person’s perspective. So yes I saw it as a new challenge and wanted to give it a go.
BUG: You've been working to keep the monster in this film a secret. Can you drop any hints here?
AT: It’s not a shark and its not a crocodile.
BUG: Where did you film THE JUNGLE?
We shot it in both Indonesia and Northern NSW Australia.
BUG: Was it a difficult shoot?
AT: Because my films are so location driven and those locations are physically demanding my shoots tend to be physically demanding and difficult. After Black Water and The Reef I was so happy to be out of the water but then it rained for a good part of the shoot and everything turned to mud!
BUG: You've filmed in some pretty daring locations. What was the most dangerous and/or most frightening for you?
AT: Never smile at a crocodile- getting the croc footage for BLACK WATER was freaky>
BUG: How much of the film is finished and what are you using the money from IndieGoGo for?
AT: The film is nearly finished. We need the $ to help with post, post and especially sound post is so important to any film but especially to a thriller like THE JUNGLE.
BUG: How close are you to your goal and how much time left is there with the IndieGoGo campaign?
AT: We’re about half way there but only have 7 days left- So yeah help would be appreciated.
BUG: Last chance, why should folks support THE JUNGLE?
AT: There are some pretty cool things on offer, like for only $50 you can get your name in the credits. You can get survival gear including a fire starting flint and you can also score my 3 films, BLACK WATER, THE REEF and THE JUNGLE in a special edition box set, this is a one off, so they are a collector’s item! And as well by contributing you’re helping make the film a better, scarier film.
BUG: Best of luck, Andrew. I can't wait to see the film!
AT: Thanks Mark and many thanks!
BUG: Find out more about THE JUNGLE and support the film by going to its IndieGoGo page!
Ambush Bug is Mark L. Miller, original @$$Hole/wordslinger/writer of wrongs/reviewer/interviewer/editor of AICN COMICS for over eleven years & AICN HORROR for two. He has written comics such as VINCENT PRICE PRESENTS THE TINGLERS & WITCHFINDER GENERAL, THE DEATHSPORT GAMES, & NANNY & HANK (soon to be available on iTunes and soon to be made into a feature film from Uptown 6 Films). He has co-written FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND’s first ever comic book LUNA: ORDER OF THE WEREWOLF (to be released in 2013 as a 100-pg original graphic novel). Mark wrote the critically acclaimed GRIMM FAIRY TALES PRESENTS THE JUNGLE BOOK last year from Zenescope Entertainment & look for his exciting arc on GRIMM FAIRY TALES #76-81 released August-December 2012. Mark will be writing GRIMM FAIRY TALES PRESENTS THE JUNGLE BOOK: LAST OF THE SPECIES to be released in February-June 2013. Follow Ambush Bug on the Twitter @Mark_L_Miller.
Interested in illustrated films, fringe cinema, and other oddities?
Check out Halo-8 and challenge everything!
Find more AICN HORROR including an archive of previous columns
on AICN HORROR’s Facebook page!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 26, 2012, 12:24 p.m. CST
Nov. 26, 2012, 4:04 p.m. CST
by Mike Soiseth
TROG, the creature from the 1970 movie of the same name, starring Joan 'Mommie Dearest' Crawford.
Nov. 26, 2012, 8:57 p.m. CST
I thought it was going to be a horror story about the awful working conditions of the early 20th Century meat packing industry.
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 274 total posts 138 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 256 total posts 41 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 102 total posts 24 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 55 total posts 17 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 312 total posts 11 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 40 total posts 9 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 7 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 7 total posts 7 posts