Quint's compiling 2012's Holiday Gift Guide and needs your thoughts!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. It’s that time of year again. I’m in the process of refining 2012’s Holiday Gift Guide and despite having already put in a few dozen hours in researching geek goodies and compiling links over the last few months I always like to invite you guys to send in your thoughts and suggestions.
I’ve lost count on how many Guides I’ve run on AICN, but what I haven’t forgotten are the hundreds of great suggestions I get every year from readers like you. Your input always enriches the Guide and perhaps widens its horizons a bit more than if it was just a list of shit I wanted and liked.
So, if you have any thoughts on geek must-haves, please shoot me an email. I’m always on the look out for thoughts and opinions on Blus, books, electronics, statues, toys, soundtracks, limited art, clothing and just about anything that will make geeks, nerds, dweebs and obsessives salivate.
God willing, the Guide will publish either just before or on Thanksgiving, so keep an eye out for that. It’s gonna be a good one this year, I can feel it already!
Take a look at last year’s Guide for a refresher on how I throw these things together. This year I have the benefit of not piecemealing it while embedded on a movie set halfway around the world, but it’ll look very similar.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:01 p.m. CST
by Milton Waddams
And other things that married men don't have in their houses.
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:12 p.m. CST
I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions...
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:23 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:30 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:30 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:41 p.m. CST
I saw the Bill Hicks Story, which I have seen btw.. Anyhow it reminded me of something I have been meaning to bring up.. The co-star from Rubicon who was kind of strange is a dead ringer for Bill Hicks.. I have seen him recently on a rerun of Castle where he was playing a guy who killed his wife.. Anyhow I think he could play the hell out of Hicks if he can prove to be that strong of an actor..
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:43 p.m. CST
by Bedknobs and Boomsticks
past articles on AICN is a lesson in futility.
Nov. 5, 2012, 6:46 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 7:18 p.m. CST
by Bedknobs and Boomsticks
Nov. 5, 2012, 7:20 p.m. CST
This is the one article I look forward to reading every year!!! The really cool stuff even makes it into the classes I teach!! The kids still drool over the Han Solo in Carbonite desk you had on here!
Nov. 5, 2012, 8:22 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 9:15 p.m. CST
A life size statue of Jeff Goldblum that says "Ah, ah, ah...life.....finds a way" when you press his left nipple
Nov. 5, 2012, 9:18 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 9:52 p.m. CST
Nov. 5, 2012, 10:50 p.m. CST
..aside from that, I liked the idea of a life-size Jeff Goldblum statue.
Nov. 5, 2012, 10:51 p.m. CST
It's gonna be epic!
Nov. 5, 2012, 10:58 p.m. CST
A while ago I went on a tirade about the ASSASSIN'S CREED art book and posted a ton of angry posts because I had just received my annual packet from UNICEF and got frustrated seeing so much suffering in the world compared to people buying art books based on video games. I really got frustrated and felt bad about it later (there's no delete function, sadly). Then, seeing your post here about annual gift giving ideas for geeks, I thought - hey, why not? Why not suggest to you, Quint, to possibly include in your list making a donation in someone's name for UNICEF. Maybe in your annual guide you can post links to various charities. I would suggest UNICEF, because it is one of the best charities in the world at getting actual money to actual people in need. So, what do you say? Can I convince you to make a little section of your gift guide for charities this holiday season? With Hurricane Sandy et al this might be a really good time to promote some good will along with the Tauntaun sleeping bags. What do you say? Anyone else with me?
Nov. 6, 2012, 12:01 a.m. CST
P.S. I hold shares in Nintendo, so I thought I'd mention that.
Nov. 6, 2012, 1:52 a.m. CST
you gonna talk about star wars again or was that whole little rant from you a few years ago still in play???
Nov. 6, 2012, 4:38 a.m. CST
I think we can keep geek purchasing and charity separate for now don't you? Trying to piggyback the begging bowl on the back of this thread is a waste of time and actually pretty insulting. I give to charity already but I don't need a gooder guilt-tripping me into thinking my interests in film related memorabilia is wrong. I'll buy what I like, when I like and make my own moral judgement on it. Despite the dubious nature of the some of tat that passed for Christmas gift fayre, every purchase is helping the economy of your country. Something I'd give more of a shit about right now. I wouldn't support UNICEF anyway, money sent to Africa and the like is wasted. We've been doing this for decades in the UK and nothing has really changed in that time. I'd shell out for someone to wipe out the respective corrupt regimes of some of those regions and then we'd see real change.
Nov. 6, 2012, 5:43 a.m. CST
Isn't the whole point for "you guys" to find stuff we don't know exists, and wow us with your knowledge of existences of the most fabulous objects in the universe?
by Dr. Francis B. Gross
If not, check these sites: ThinkGeek.com ThisIsWhyImBroke.com Aaaaaaaaaand for your vast array of books & movies (wait for it..........)......... Amazon.com
Nov. 6, 2012, 8:02 a.m. CST
Nov. 6, 2012, 12:17 p.m. CST
I know that The BluRay release of the month, for most, will be the debut of Lawrence Of Arabia (you too can feel like David from Prometheus), but for me the realease of the month on Blu is Empire Of The Sun.
Nov. 6, 2012, 5:34 p.m. CST
This is more a gift for the 2013 Holiday Season that Mattel/MattyCollector is doing but it needs to be pre-ordered a year in advance. Also if they don't get enough pre-orders they probably won't do it. All the details here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/9fsc42f
Nov. 7, 2012, 12:56 p.m. CST
And has been for yours. I sent my picks through to Quint. Surely all fans can think of one item.
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 140 total posts 136 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 726 total posts 12 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts