Hercules Loves Malibu But Says MALIBU COUNTRY Is No Place To Visit!!
An awful new laughtrack sitcom from writer-producer David B. Harris (“American Dreams”), “Malibu Country” stars Reba McEntire as a singer who dumps her cheating husband and relocates her family from Nashville to Malibu. Lily Tomlin (“The West Wing”) and Sara Rue (“Less Than Perfect”) also star.
It is the last of this fall’s broadcast premieres (whew!) and replaces “Cougar Town” in the old post-“Last Man Standing” slot.
Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics is listed as this sitcom’s co-creator. (In my youth I was told I resembled Dave Stewart – also William Hurt, Jeff Bridges, Kiefer Sutherland, Cartoon Egon Spengler and other pale people.)
For the record, Malibu itself is wonderful. Teeming with many a fabulous starlet frolicking on its beaches. During my decades in Los Angeles I drove up there many a weekend.
... It's like "The Good Wife" meets "GCB" in sitcom form -- and, yes, it's even worse than it sounds. The only thing the traditional, multi-cam show has going for it is that Reba's fan base have been clamoring for the singer-actress to return to TV ever since "Reba" left the airwaves. But unlike "Reba," "Malibu" isn't very funny. It's similar to "Partners" -- I didn't laugh once. …
... retro would be a compliment. “Malibu Country” looks more like a relic. … Ms. McEntire, who brought a spunky, dogged energy to “Reba,” looks tired in “Malibu Country” — in the pilot, at least, she isn’t selling the tired jokes and situations. …
... One does feel a bit sad at times watching such a talented cast go, if not exactly to waste, then into an enterprise so obvious and ordinary. …
... ain't much to write home about, as its star might put it, but it sure does grow on you. …
... joyless … has a view of the sea and a laugh track that guffaws too hard. …
... derivative, unimaginative and altogether lame.…
... a traffic jam of culture-clash cliches, numbing laugh track cackles, and fake stage-set lighting. …
... It's enough to make you think Tomlin's search for intelligent life has come to a failed conclusion. … for a show like this, ABC should pay us.
... the result is even less ambitious -- and has less to recommend it -- than the country singer's old WB show. This is the fall's final new network series, and nobody can accuse ABC of saving the best for last.…
8:30 p.m. Friday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:31 p.m. CST
by Uncle Pooky
They kept promoting her as being this jack of all trades, having done music, TV, and theater... No. She is Reba in her personal life and Reba in whatever she does. There's no range there, no gamut, no nothing. She's playing herself in everything she does. But man oh man, were they kissing her ass like she was this renaissance woman.
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:38 p.m. CST
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:45 p.m. CST
Well, that works for 2 1/2 Men, so who knows, maybe the public will inexplicably like this too.
Nov. 2, 2012, 2:21 p.m. CST
by rakesh patel
it's the only commonality i can deduce from Dave Stewart also William Hurt, Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland circa 15-20 years ago.
Nov. 2, 2012, 3:44 p.m. CST
So ABC has 2 shows about Nashille. The drama Nashville is a thinly-veiled account of Reba's life 20 years ago when she was being pushed out for Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Shania, and Leanne Rimes, with Connie Britton playing Reba. The real Reba is doing a sitcom inspired by the scandals of Sara Evans and her porno loving husband, Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood's affair, and Vince Gill dumping his first wife Janis, also a country singer, for Amy Grant. Talk about covering your bets.-----later-----m
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:03 p.m. CST
and Lily Tomlin -- for shame!! Do you really need money that bad?
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:04 p.m. CST
by Stifler's Mom
Amazing that this garbage exists in the same world where Arrested Development couldn't find viewers.
Nov. 4, 2012, 10:08 a.m. CST
They should use that in the commercials: "Not the worst sitcom you'll see this year (assuming you've seen them all)".
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 213 total posts 213 posts
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 179 total posts 179 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 457 total posts 120 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 113 total posts 113 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 179 total posts 49 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 75 total posts 46 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 53 total posts 45 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 56 total posts 34 posts