Hercules Loves Malibu But Says MALIBU COUNTRY Is No Place To Visit!!
An awful new laughtrack sitcom from writer-producer David B. Harris (“American Dreams”), “Malibu Country” stars Reba McEntire as a singer who dumps her cheating husband and relocates her family from Nashville to Malibu. Lily Tomlin (“The West Wing”) and Sara Rue (“Less Than Perfect”) also star.
It is the last of this fall’s broadcast premieres (whew!) and replaces “Cougar Town” in the old post-“Last Man Standing” slot.
Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics is listed as this sitcom’s co-creator. (In my youth I was told I resembled Dave Stewart – also William Hurt, Jeff Bridges, Kiefer Sutherland, Cartoon Egon Spengler and other pale people.)
For the record, Malibu itself is wonderful. Teeming with many a fabulous starlet frolicking on its beaches. During my decades in Los Angeles I drove up there many a weekend.
... It's like "The Good Wife" meets "GCB" in sitcom form -- and, yes, it's even worse than it sounds. The only thing the traditional, multi-cam show has going for it is that Reba's fan base have been clamoring for the singer-actress to return to TV ever since "Reba" left the airwaves. But unlike "Reba," "Malibu" isn't very funny. It's similar to "Partners" -- I didn't laugh once. …
... retro would be a compliment. “Malibu Country” looks more like a relic. … Ms. McEntire, who brought a spunky, dogged energy to “Reba,” looks tired in “Malibu Country” — in the pilot, at least, she isn’t selling the tired jokes and situations. …
... One does feel a bit sad at times watching such a talented cast go, if not exactly to waste, then into an enterprise so obvious and ordinary. …
... ain't much to write home about, as its star might put it, but it sure does grow on you. …
... joyless … has a view of the sea and a laugh track that guffaws too hard. …
... derivative, unimaginative and altogether lame.…
... a traffic jam of culture-clash cliches, numbing laugh track cackles, and fake stage-set lighting. …
... It's enough to make you think Tomlin's search for intelligent life has come to a failed conclusion. … for a show like this, ABC should pay us.
... the result is even less ambitious -- and has less to recommend it -- than the country singer's old WB show. This is the fall's final new network series, and nobody can accuse ABC of saving the best for last.…
8:30 p.m. Friday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:31 p.m. CST
by Uncle Pooky
They kept promoting her as being this jack of all trades, having done music, TV, and theater... No. She is Reba in her personal life and Reba in whatever she does. There's no range there, no gamut, no nothing. She's playing herself in everything she does. But man oh man, were they kissing her ass like she was this renaissance woman.
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:38 p.m. CST
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:45 p.m. CST
Well, that works for 2 1/2 Men, so who knows, maybe the public will inexplicably like this too.
Nov. 2, 2012, 2:21 p.m. CST
by rakesh patel
it's the only commonality i can deduce from Dave Stewart also William Hurt, Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland circa 15-20 years ago.
Nov. 2, 2012, 3:44 p.m. CST
So ABC has 2 shows about Nashille. The drama Nashville is a thinly-veiled account of Reba's life 20 years ago when she was being pushed out for Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Shania, and Leanne Rimes, with Connie Britton playing Reba. The real Reba is doing a sitcom inspired by the scandals of Sara Evans and her porno loving husband, Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood's affair, and Vince Gill dumping his first wife Janis, also a country singer, for Amy Grant. Talk about covering your bets.-----later-----m
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:03 p.m. CST
and Lily Tomlin -- for shame!! Do you really need money that bad?
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:04 p.m. CST
by Stifler's Mom
Amazing that this garbage exists in the same world where Arrested Development couldn't find viewers.
Nov. 4, 2012, 10:08 a.m. CST
They should use that in the commercials: "Not the worst sitcom you'll see this year (assuming you've seen them all)".
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 229 total posts 219 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 138 total posts 32 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 72 total posts 20 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 45 total posts 19 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 234 total posts 12 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 177 total posts 12 posts
- MAGIC MIKE XXL gets a release date! -- 21 total posts 9 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 24 total posts 8 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 110 total posts 7 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 65 total posts 6 posts