Hercules Loves Malibu But Says MALIBU COUNTRY Is No Place To Visit!!
An awful new laughtrack sitcom from writer-producer David B. Harris (“American Dreams”), “Malibu Country” stars Reba McEntire as a singer who dumps her cheating husband and relocates her family from Nashville to Malibu. Lily Tomlin (“The West Wing”) and Sara Rue (“Less Than Perfect”) also star.
It is the last of this fall’s broadcast premieres (whew!) and replaces “Cougar Town” in the old post-“Last Man Standing” slot.
Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics is listed as this sitcom’s co-creator. (In my youth I was told I resembled Dave Stewart – also William Hurt, Jeff Bridges, Kiefer Sutherland, Cartoon Egon Spengler and other pale people.)
For the record, Malibu itself is wonderful. Teeming with many a fabulous starlet frolicking on its beaches. During my decades in Los Angeles I drove up there many a weekend.
... It's like "The Good Wife" meets "GCB" in sitcom form -- and, yes, it's even worse than it sounds. The only thing the traditional, multi-cam show has going for it is that Reba's fan base have been clamoring for the singer-actress to return to TV ever since "Reba" left the airwaves. But unlike "Reba," "Malibu" isn't very funny. It's similar to "Partners" -- I didn't laugh once. …
... retro would be a compliment. “Malibu Country” looks more like a relic. … Ms. McEntire, who brought a spunky, dogged energy to “Reba,” looks tired in “Malibu Country” — in the pilot, at least, she isn’t selling the tired jokes and situations. …
... One does feel a bit sad at times watching such a talented cast go, if not exactly to waste, then into an enterprise so obvious and ordinary. …
... ain't much to write home about, as its star might put it, but it sure does grow on you. …
... joyless … has a view of the sea and a laugh track that guffaws too hard. …
... derivative, unimaginative and altogether lame.…
... a traffic jam of culture-clash cliches, numbing laugh track cackles, and fake stage-set lighting. …
... It's enough to make you think Tomlin's search for intelligent life has come to a failed conclusion. … for a show like this, ABC should pay us.
... the result is even less ambitious -- and has less to recommend it -- than the country singer's old WB show. This is the fall's final new network series, and nobody can accuse ABC of saving the best for last.…
8:30 p.m. Friday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:31 p.m. CST
by Uncle Pooky
They kept promoting her as being this jack of all trades, having done music, TV, and theater... No. She is Reba in her personal life and Reba in whatever she does. There's no range there, no gamut, no nothing. She's playing herself in everything she does. But man oh man, were they kissing her ass like she was this renaissance woman.
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:38 p.m. CST
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:45 p.m. CST
Well, that works for 2 1/2 Men, so who knows, maybe the public will inexplicably like this too.
Nov. 2, 2012, 2:21 p.m. CST
by rakesh patel
it's the only commonality i can deduce from Dave Stewart also William Hurt, Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland circa 15-20 years ago.
Nov. 2, 2012, 3:44 p.m. CST
So ABC has 2 shows about Nashille. The drama Nashville is a thinly-veiled account of Reba's life 20 years ago when she was being pushed out for Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Shania, and Leanne Rimes, with Connie Britton playing Reba. The real Reba is doing a sitcom inspired by the scandals of Sara Evans and her porno loving husband, Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood's affair, and Vince Gill dumping his first wife Janis, also a country singer, for Amy Grant. Talk about covering your bets.-----later-----m
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:03 p.m. CST
and Lily Tomlin -- for shame!! Do you really need money that bad?
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:04 p.m. CST
by Stifler's Mom
Amazing that this garbage exists in the same world where Arrested Development couldn't find viewers.
Nov. 4, 2012, 10:08 a.m. CST
They should use that in the commercials: "Not the worst sitcom you'll see this year (assuming you've seen them all)".
- Are you ready for VENOM and SINISTER-SIX films? -- 314 total posts 314 posts
- War Machine to join Iron Man and friends in THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON!?! -- 201 total posts 201 posts
- THE NAKED GUN To Abuse Nordberg Once More?? -- 143 total posts 143 posts
- International Trailer for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2!!! -- 61 total posts 61 posts
- Renny Harlin's THE LEGEND OF HERCULES Get a New Trailer! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Capone believes a dragon and a host of new characters save THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG!!! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
- The Friday Docback Awaits 'The Time of the Doctor'!! Looking Forward To DOCTOR WHO's Christmas Regeneration, And More!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 158 total posts 33 posts
- Mr. Beaks And Jason Schwartzman Tune Up A Supercalifragilistic Interview About Richard M. Sherman And SAVING MR. BANKS! -- 29 total posts 29 posts
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 417 total posts 23 posts