The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day didn’t come here to fight monsters! It’s not equipped for it!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Sitting at unwatched at home is the giant Universal Monsters Blu-Ray set that just came out. Oddly enough, I ordered the UK set because (A) it’s region free and (B) it’s about half the cost of the US set and here I am in unexpectedly in the UK yet I have no Universal Monsters to keep me company.
It’s a hard life, I know, but I’ll somehow survive.
The reason I bring that up is because my favorite Universal Monster (in terms of pure design artistry) is featured in today’s column. The Creature From The Black Lagoon is a magnificent monster, created by the at-the-time uncredited Milicent Patrick. Weird, elegant and alien, but oddly sympathetic. He’s a smaller Kong, just a dude that falls in love and gets his fishy little heart broken.
So, to hold me over until I can finally crack that set upon my return, today’s BTS picture features Gill Man suit actor Ricou Browning getting ready for a shot (with help of Errol Flynn’s evil twin, apparently) during the making of Creature. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at email@example.com.
Tomorrow’s pic is baaaaaackkk.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:16 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:18 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:20 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:30 a.m. CST
...in the early 80s, showed CFtBL amongst other classic horror films. Can remember actually looking at my library card at the time, and seeing a renew date of 1983, and declaring to my other friends in the class that "Revenge of the Jedi will be out by then..."
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:53 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:55 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:42 a.m. CST
...what with the Nazi sympathies and all?
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:52 a.m. CST
Not that I'm foaming at the mouth for a new CFtBL movie but they've remade every other Universal monster like a thousand times. He's literally the Aqua-Man of the Universal Monster League.
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:54 a.m. CST
He probably figured out a way to smoke in that thing. Got to love the '50s.
Oct. 26, 2012, 7:15 a.m. CST
Such a great design. I hope it's got a pee pee hatch.
Oct. 26, 2012, 7:31 a.m. CST
The most sympathetic and relateable creature ever envisioned... And, photographers, please watch your angles. We can almost see WAAAY too far up those Bermuda Shorts on Errol Flynn's Evil Twin... Although, truth be told, I don't think Errol Flynn needed an evil twin ifyaknowwhatImean.... Just sayin'
Oct. 26, 2012, 8 a.m. CST
by rakesh patel
do you really want me to use ad blocker?
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:07 a.m. CST
Come on, Quint! You speak better English than that, I've heard you.
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:15 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:58 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:19 a.m. CST
by The StarWolf
I've been pointing out how illiterate "embiggen' makes them sound for years. They just don't care. Just as they don't seem to care that many (most?) of us can't see that bloody 'Hulu' thing because it isn't available "in our region".
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:20 a.m. CST
It's a joke.
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:28 a.m. CST
by Mel Garga
The story goes, not sure how truthy it is, that the original stuntman was unable to swim very well in the suit. Therefore, a local lifeguard was asked to step in, later embarking on a long career in Hollywood. Can anyone verify this?
Oct. 26, 2012, 10:43 a.m. CST
And let's face it, that's not often said about kidnappers and wannabe rapists of nubile young women.
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:09 p.m. CST
lumbering around in ill fitting clothes, breathing heavy, longing for the water.
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:16 p.m. CST
I think he looks more like Guy Williams (Lost in Space).
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:57 p.m. CST
"Embiggen" is from 'The Simpsons'.
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:08 p.m. CST
It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:53 p.m. CST
by Danny Boil
A remake will probably not improve on the beast much, but could very well be a better film. Anyway, fun pic, the cigarette is priceless.
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:54 p.m. CST
by Danny Boil
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 58 total posts 54 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 423 total posts 10 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 721 total posts 7 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 5 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts