The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day didn’t come here to fight monsters! It’s not equipped for it!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Sitting at unwatched at home is the giant Universal Monsters Blu-Ray set that just came out. Oddly enough, I ordered the UK set because (A) it’s region free and (B) it’s about half the cost of the US set and here I am in unexpectedly in the UK yet I have no Universal Monsters to keep me company.
It’s a hard life, I know, but I’ll somehow survive.
The reason I bring that up is because my favorite Universal Monster (in terms of pure design artistry) is featured in today’s column. The Creature From The Black Lagoon is a magnificent monster, created by the at-the-time uncredited Milicent Patrick. Weird, elegant and alien, but oddly sympathetic. He’s a smaller Kong, just a dude that falls in love and gets his fishy little heart broken.
So, to hold me over until I can finally crack that set upon my return, today’s BTS picture features Gill Man suit actor Ricou Browning getting ready for a shot (with help of Errol Flynn’s evil twin, apparently) during the making of Creature. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s pic is baaaaaackkk.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:16 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:18 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:20 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:30 a.m. CST
...in the early 80s, showed CFtBL amongst other classic horror films. Can remember actually looking at my library card at the time, and seeing a renew date of 1983, and declaring to my other friends in the class that "Revenge of the Jedi will be out by then..."
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:53 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:55 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:42 a.m. CST
...what with the Nazi sympathies and all?
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:52 a.m. CST
Not that I'm foaming at the mouth for a new CFtBL movie but they've remade every other Universal monster like a thousand times. He's literally the Aqua-Man of the Universal Monster League.
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:54 a.m. CST
He probably figured out a way to smoke in that thing. Got to love the '50s.
Oct. 26, 2012, 7:15 a.m. CST
Such a great design. I hope it's got a pee pee hatch.
Oct. 26, 2012, 7:31 a.m. CST
The most sympathetic and relateable creature ever envisioned... And, photographers, please watch your angles. We can almost see WAAAY too far up those Bermuda Shorts on Errol Flynn's Evil Twin... Although, truth be told, I don't think Errol Flynn needed an evil twin ifyaknowwhatImean.... Just sayin'
Oct. 26, 2012, 8 a.m. CST
by rakesh patel
do you really want me to use ad blocker?
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:07 a.m. CST
Come on, Quint! You speak better English than that, I've heard you.
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:15 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:58 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:19 a.m. CST
by The StarWolf
I've been pointing out how illiterate "embiggen' makes them sound for years. They just don't care. Just as they don't seem to care that many (most?) of us can't see that bloody 'Hulu' thing because it isn't available "in our region".
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:20 a.m. CST
It's a joke.
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:28 a.m. CST
by Mel Garga
The story goes, not sure how truthy it is, that the original stuntman was unable to swim very well in the suit. Therefore, a local lifeguard was asked to step in, later embarking on a long career in Hollywood. Can anyone verify this?
Oct. 26, 2012, 10:43 a.m. CST
And let's face it, that's not often said about kidnappers and wannabe rapists of nubile young women.
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:09 p.m. CST
lumbering around in ill fitting clothes, breathing heavy, longing for the water.
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:16 p.m. CST
I think he looks more like Guy Williams (Lost in Space).
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:57 p.m. CST
"Embiggen" is from 'The Simpsons'.
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:08 p.m. CST
It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:53 p.m. CST
by Danny Boil
A remake will probably not improve on the beast much, but could very well be a better film. Anyway, fun pic, the cigarette is priceless.
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:54 p.m. CST
by Danny Boil
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 146 total posts 19 posts
- International Trailer and Clip for Australian Horror Film THE BABADOOK! -- 22 total posts 10 posts
- Red Band Trailer for THE DEAD 2: INDIA! -- 20 total posts 7 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 218 total posts 7 posts
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 230 total posts 5 posts
- AICN HORROR: Amazing and horrific things happened at this year’s San Diego Comic Con. This was one of them! -- 24 total posts 4 posts
- "Welcome to the Glade." New trailer for THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 23 total posts 4 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 526 total posts 4 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 135 total posts 3 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 811 total posts 3 posts