Capone issues a brief but stern warning about a squishy turd of a movie called FUN SIZE!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
I literally feel like I'm being forced to review this wretched little turd-heap of a movie. No, no one forced me to go to the screening of FUN SIZE or to write this review. But part of my duty to you as a film critic is steering you clear of the crap as well as guiding you to the good stuff, and in that spirit, here's my review of FUN SIZE, from first-time director Josh Schwartz (executive producer of "The O.C.," "Gossip Girl," "Chuck" and "Hart of Dixie").
Like a dirty vulture, this film picks off pieces of slightly better teen comedies and gives us this Halloween tale of a fairly straight-laced Wren (singer Victoria Justice, star of the Nickelodeon staple "Victorious"), who is planning on attending the biggest party of the season with her peer-pressure source/best friend April (Jane Levy), when Wren's desperate single mom (Chelsea Handler) forces her to take her little brother Albert (Jackson Nicoll) trick-or-treating. Albert doesn't speak and likes to cause trouble, so of course he runs off almost as soon as they leave the house, and the entire films is various combinations of people in Wren's life looking for Albert. Wacky adventures ensue, or not.
One major problem with FUN SIZE is that it's not really that funny. I know, it's hard to believe that a film that brings in the outrageous (and uncredited) Johnny Knoxville in at the 11th hour to spice things up doesn't tap into the comedy keg is hard to believe. I will give Thomas Middleditch a little credit as a convenience store clerk for at least having a couple of funny lines.
But as if to counter any contribution he gives the film, Thomas Mann comes in as a third-string Michael Cera to stutter his way through secretly liking Wren but being too cowardly to say it. I should also make mention of the adorable and funny Riki Lindhome's performance as a cosplay character named Galaxy Scout, who helps out Albert. You see, the film isn't devoid of humorous characters. There just aren't enough of them to balance out the terrible script by "Colbert Report" writer Max Werner.
Perhaps the bigger problem with the film is that with the exception of Wren, none of these characters are particularly likable. Now I'm not saying I have to like every character in every movie I see, clearly, but there is almost no one in the movie who isn't selfish, often cruel or otherwise unpleasant to spend time with. The story gives is tired and worn characters we've seen done better in other high school comedies. Good for Nickelodeon for attempting to enter the PG-13 racket (only the second time for them as a film studio), but a few mild gross-out jokes and vague sexual references seem more like an attempt to appear edgy in the eyes of kids than for any real comic effort.
At least something like PITCH PERFECT (which I liked a great deal) had some original humor and an freakish take on certain a slightly older age group; I'm guessing this film is aimed at much the same audience. Rest assured, FUN SIZE is a dismal failure compared to PITCH PERFECT and pretty much every other that was released in 2012. Consider yourself warned, youngsters.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 26, 2012, 1:06 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 1:40 a.m. CST
can't remember wtf it was attached to. I used to date a super sexy and extremely dirty-minded short girl who referred to herself as "fun size" so I found the fact this movie about high-schoolers was called "fun size" a bit disturbing
Oct. 26, 2012, 2:20 a.m. CST
Chelsea Handler is a talentless c**t! Garmy 4 life!
Oct. 26, 2012, 2:39 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 5:26 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 7:40 a.m. CST
It just may not be enough to get me the in theatre. Shocking.
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:01 a.m. CST
AICN loves any kind of crap as long as it's horror but savages all dumb teen comedy and romance.
Oct. 26, 2012, 8:38 a.m. CST
Lots of typos. This is supposed to be a top tier site. Right?
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:09 a.m. CST
I mean, I complain about it all the time too, but I'm coming around to the idea that they clearly aren't going to change their ways. They're comfortable with whatever tier they've reached.
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:10 a.m. CST
Do not watch Intruders with Clive Owen. It's on Netflix instant and you will not get that time back.
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:12 a.m. CST
Well, you can. Just not the way Capone spells it.
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:46 a.m. CST
Wasn't going to see it anyway, but when I go the multiplex this weekend to see Cloud Atlas, I'll be sure to give a wide berth to the door to the Fun Size theater, lest I get splashed with cheese.
Oct. 26, 2012, 10:27 a.m. CST
Capone: "...it's hard to believe that a film that brings in...Johnny Knoxville in...is hard to believe."
Quick, call the Bureau of Redundancy Bureau!
Oct. 26, 2012, 11 a.m. CST
by Evan Meadow
Marvel. They must be getting good money for all the Spidey usage.
Oct. 26, 2012, 11:13 a.m. CST
Have you seen this kid? He's like some alternate reality clone version of Jack Nicholson. To whom, by the way, his name sounds suspiciously similar. Just sayin'
Oct. 26, 2012, 11:20 a.m. CST
Oct. 26, 2012, 11:47 a.m. CST
For some reason my favorite times here are when people brazenly assert, indirectly, that they haven't even read the title of the link they clicked on. Article title: Nordling reviews a movie: a review by Nordling. Article text: NORDLING here, that's NORDLING, and here at the end is a big ol' cartoon picture of me, NORDLING. Comment: LOL THANKS HARRY GREAT REVIEW
Oct. 26, 2012, 12:31 p.m. CST
how else does she keep on getting work? She's like the ugly version of Olivia Munn
Oct. 26, 2012, 1:56 p.m. CST
by Anthony Torchia
... and pretty much every other that was released in 2012.
Oct. 26, 2012, 2:45 p.m. CST
Spacehog, I concur. I find it amusing that some talkbackers never realize who they're talking back to.
by I Max U Mini
Oct. 26, 2012, 6:38 p.m. CST
I'll say this for it. For some reason I like their Hangover inspired tagline. I also think Fun Size is the perfect name for a halloween comedy.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 700 total posts 77 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 409 total posts 43 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 363 total posts 28 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 44 total posts 27 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 211 total posts 21 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 366 total posts 19 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 21 total posts 13 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 9 posts