Reni Reviews BIG STAR: NOTHING CAN HURT ME!
I was bummed that I missed this at South By Southwest this year, although it wasn't finished at the time. I've loved Big Star for years and yet they are one of those bands that many people aren't aware of. But in their way, they were the American Beatles, with a pop sensibility straight out of their wheelhouse. Alex Chilton wrote some amazing music, and sadly he's no longer with us.
But if you've never heard their music, you might be surprised to find out you have but you just didn't know it. Here's Reni, longtime friend of the site and guru of all things music (especially the Stone Roses, don't get him started) with a look at the new documentary, BIG STAR: NOTHING CAN HURT ME:
‘What can a lonely rock n’ roller do..?’
Filmmakers Drew DeNicola, Danielle McCarthy and Olivia Mori screened their documentary ‘Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me’ at the London Film Festival this weekend and fans of the legendary Memphis rock band won’t be disappointed.
‘Nothing Can Hurt Me’ starts with ‘The Rock Writers Convention’ in 1973. Legendary critics Lester Bangs, Lenny Kaye and Jaan Uhelszki are gathered to watch Big Star. It’s a defining moment for the band, and if they hadn’t played, we might not have heard of them.
The success encouraged Big Star to make ‘Radio City’ (a third album came out in 1978.) Not much happened after that. Why weren’t they famous? Alex Chilton isn’t around to offer his perspective but the film answers the central question without him – Big Star was a ‘studio experiment’ that couldn’t/wouldn’t pay its dues on the road.
The film looks at Memphis music in the early seventies and its larger than life characters. There’s a lot of hell-raising which clearly affected ‘Third’ – Big Star’s fractured masterpiece. Thereis a surprising amount of footage, too, which is skilfully edited; including home video of Big Star and video footage taken from Bill Eggleston’s ‘Stranded in Canton’.
It also documents the life of Chris Bell – Big Star’s co-founder. Bell quit after ‘No 1 Record’ and tried to commit suicide. In the mid-seventies, he left for England and recorded several demos (‘I Am The Cosmos’ is a high point.) Bell was a great songwriter and the film argues that he is responsible for Big Star’s sound. He died later in a car wreck and his death gives the film real emotional weight.
The sound mix deserves special mention. Director DeNicola worked with John Fry and Adam Hill to create new mixes of songs including ‘The Ballad of El Goodo’, ‘O My Soul’ and ‘Big Black Car’ and it sounds incredible.
‘Nothing Can Hurt Me’ also has great supporting characters and DeNicola is happy to hear their tangential anecdotes – like when John King, Big Star’s very own Artie Fufkin, interrupts his interview to talk about Sinead O’Connor; or how Jim Dickinson turned Otis Redding’s piano (used for ‘Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay’) into garden furniture.
Sadly, several participants passed away during the making of the film including Dickinson, Chilton, Andy Hummel and Carol Manning - ‘Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me’ is a feisty, moving tribute to them all.
Thanks, Reni. Hope to see you in December!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 25, 2012, 1:13 p.m. CST
is one of the greatest albums of all time.
Oct. 25, 2012, 1:28 p.m. CST
by Adam D. Kline
Classic power pop. This film can't be released soon enough.//
Oct. 25, 2012, 2:39 p.m. CST
Oct. 25, 2012, 2:40 p.m. CST
Great, great, great band.
Oct. 25, 2012, 2:51 p.m. CST
Oct. 25, 2012, 4:10 p.m. CST
Oct. 25, 2012, 4:23 p.m. CST
...an American Badfinger - both were a little more raunchy than the fab four. I came late to the game with Big Star, but am glad I did. Quite the band.
Oct. 25, 2012, 4:41 p.m. CST
...all ill ever need
Oct. 25, 2012, 7:14 p.m. CST
oh, sorry...neitherChristopher Nolan nor Peter Jackson didn't have anything to do with this movie! Love Big Star! Thanks for the update. Now I need to look for this in a double feature with the Kinks documentary!
Oct. 25, 2012, 7:15 p.m. CST
Oct. 25, 2012, 8 p.m. CST
Is one of the most perfect albums ever recorded...#1 Record and Third/Sister Lover are both wonderful...but Radio City is perfection. I had not heard of this documentary before, but I can't wait to see it.
Oct. 25, 2012, 11:49 p.m. CST
Mad props to Big Star! I live a few blocks from the studio where they recorded. Been a fan for a looooooong time.
Oct. 26, 2012, 9:16 a.m. CST
by Earl Warren
What a band. I am a late arrival as a fan. I had always heard of them or read about them - first by way of the Replacements song 'Alex Chilton.' I picked up the box-set that Rhino put out 3-4 years ago. Man, what a revelation. Great, great stuff. I did not know this doc was in the works. Reno doesn't get a whole lotta small-release movies, so it may be a while before I see it, but I will definitely seek it out. Thanks for posting about this.
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 140 total posts 136 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 726 total posts 12 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts