Houston! Are You Ready To WRECK-IT On November 1st?!
I haven't seen WRECK-IT RALPH yet - I've been waiting for this screening to see it with my Houston AICN people - but word-of-mouth has been uniformly positive. All the trailers look very fun, and I'm certain adults and kids alike will enjoy all the video game references. I'll keep my eyes open for any SINISTAR reference. I hunger, indeed.
If you live in the Houston area, you can join me on Thursday, November 1st at 7:30 PM at Edwards Grand Palace and hearken back to a time when a quarter on the game display meant you're next and if you needed help at GAUNTLET you better have a friend with change handy - none of this online party crap. I'm opening this up to more people, but with a caveat - if you're bringing someone your age, you get a +1. If you're bringing kids with you, you get up to +3. That's why I'll need for you to send names of you and your guests and their ages. No exceptions. And you have to answer this question -
Which 1980s game do you most want to see adapted into a movie, and who would direct and star? If it's already been made into a movie, that's cool, just cast it how you would want to cast and with a director of your choice.
Send that answer, along with a list of your guests and ages (up to 3, no more, as long as they are under 18, otherwise it's just a +1) to firstname.lastname@example.org under the heading LET's WRECK HOUSTON! Send it to me by this Sunday night. Remember I am overbooking this screening to ensure full capacity, so if you are chosen come early. If you apply and don't come and don't let me know by email, I bar you from all future Ain't It Cool screenings.
Thanks, good luck, and hope to see you there!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 23, 2012, 12:10 p.m. CST
Oct. 23, 2012, 12:21 p.m. CST
Almost none. For the most part, games worth adapating into movies were themselves inspired by and emulating movies, or were borrowing all their lore and mystique from literature/myth.
Having said that.. a real Super Mario Bros movie could be pretty dope. I picture it done with skillful CG overload like the recent Burton Alice and upcoming Oz movies.
Oct. 23, 2012, 12:50 p.m. CST
Oct. 23, 2012, 1:02 p.m. CST
Rape-It Ralph is gonna be the feel-good movie of 2013
Oct. 23, 2012, 1:07 p.m. CST
And autodidact: Jeez dude, if you got nothing nice to say...no one is forcing you to play along.
Oct. 23, 2012, 1:08 p.m. CST
really? really!? damn you rule 34!!!
Oct. 23, 2012, 1:10 p.m. CST
All I know is I saw this image on Tumblr that said something like ''I want Wreck-It Ralph to fist me'' and then
a picture of him and then his catchphrase, ''I'm gonna wreck it!'' And that's why the movie is already ruined for me.
Oct. 23, 2012, 2:31 p.m. CST
how can this site have stories about Sex and the City 2 and CGI penguin musicals and no story on Emmanuelle?
Oct. 23, 2012, 2:33 p.m. CST
Am I the only one? I'd rather watch Saturday Supercade than these flourescent colored cat toy movies
Oct. 23, 2012, 4:31 p.m. CST
Oct. 23, 2012, 4:50 p.m. CST
Nothing about this movie is exciting or interesting. Crowds have yawned through it every time I've seen it in theatres.
by golden tribw
Nobody cares about the characters they've managed to include. I'm no gamer-head but I've played hundreds of hours of Civilization, Starcraft and Quake in my day -- and I recognize almost nothing in this movie. Who is the audience that is supposed to give a shit?
Oct. 23, 2012, 5:11 p.m. CST
@sasquatch: I'm sure you're not the only one. I generally prefer traditional animation to new animation, but what can you do? In any event, the CG work is much better these days than it used to be. @goldentribe: There's probably a non-trivial number of people who care about the characters they include. I do think that the characters they've included may be "older" than your generation (and I don't mean this as an insult). The games you listed are predominantly computer games. The characters that I've noticed appear to be predominantly from arcade and console games. Zangief and Sonic are in the poster. I'm pretty sure from the trailer, I saw Bowser, Q*Bert, one of the Pac-Man ghosts (I think Clyde?), Frogger, and someone else from Street Fighter -- and that's off the top of my head. It's worth noting that just because you don't care about the characters doesn't mean that no one does. I'm guessing the target audience are people born in the late 70s and early 80s and their kids.
Oct. 23, 2012, 5:27 p.m. CST
Oct. 23, 2012, 10:41 p.m. CST
Epic faeces release was epic.
Oct. 23, 2012, 10:51 p.m. CST
Oct. 23, 2012, 10:52 p.m. CST
Oct. 24, 2012, 1:24 a.m. CST
Oct. 24, 2012, 2:17 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
Should we be.... SAVING SILVERMAN!?!?!?!?!? For the love of god go and buy the box set!!!! SHE GOTTA EAT
Oct. 24, 2012, 2:20 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
I was on Bait Car once.
Oct. 24, 2012, 10:01 a.m. CST
Not you, people who played console and arcade games.
Oct. 24, 2012, 4:55 p.m. CST
by M Kagle
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 309 total posts 28 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 262 total posts 16 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 582 total posts 16 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 232 total posts 12 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 196 total posts 6 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 198 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 119 total posts 4 posts