Hercules Issues A DNR For
The CW’s EMILY OWENS, M.D.!!
A bad, bad, sitcom-y hourlong about a lovesick hospital intern, “Emily Owens, M.D.” is 12 pounds of blecch in a 10-pound bag. It comes to us from writer-producer Jennie Snyder (“Lipstick Jungle,” “90210”) and stars Streep spawn Mamie Gummer (“Off The Map”), plus Justin Hartley (“Smallville”), Michael Rady (“Swingtown”) and Julia Sarah Stone (“The Haunting Hour”).
Snyder really racks up the clichés and confuses funny with annoying almost every time. “Emily” reminded me a lot of “Grey’s Anatomy,” another not-funny hospital-based romantic dramedy I’ve come to quite despise.
… Adult life may be like high school some of the time, but it isn't all of the time — and a show suggesting that it is becomes just as difficult to endure as some of the worse memories of high school itself.
... the pilot has the bland, fairy tale vibe of a Disney teenage drama. … The problem is more likely to be the generic nature of Emily’s misadventures, and the soap opera implausibility of the medical stories, which is extreme, even for the genre. …
... loaded with stock situations, cliche-ridden interrelationships, and soapy subplots designed not just to tug at your heartstrings, but to beat them to a pulp in the process.…
... There’s something demeaning about the whole set-up, which tells us that all women, even surgeons, are just conniving glamour-seekers …
... There's a lot to mock in "Emily Owens, M.D.," but the lead character's cheerfulness makes all the silliness go down somewhat easier. …
... CW’s shoddy spin on ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” slams into so many medical cliches, the show is almost D.O.A. by the first commercial break. …
... the new season's worst series …
... watching medical residents behave like 10th graders grows tedious quickly …
... Welcome to one of the most annoying and condescending shows you’ll ever hopefully not watch. …
9 p.m. Tuesday. The CW.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 16, 2012, 5:39 p.m. CST
Saw it again and looked for the standard anonymous Canadian actors you see in 'Doc' or 'Sue Thomas FBEye'. Seriously, do we really need another doctor, lawyers, cops, nurses, firefighters show? Every story they tell now has already been done by ER, Third Watch, Chicago Hope, Emergency!, Ben Casey, etc etc ETC!
Oct. 16, 2012, 5:51 p.m. CST
Oct. 16, 2012, 6:26 p.m. CST
Oct. 16, 2012, 6:35 p.m. CST
She's like a Dick Tracy villian or something. Stuff of nightmares.
Oct. 16, 2012, 11:52 p.m. CST
Just jumping on the bandwagon.
Oct. 17, 2012, 3:41 a.m. CST
If you're not a brilliant black woman, don't try and shovel your obnoxious, whiny white woman doctor in love bullshit. This is the sleaziest display of cynical shit I've seen in a while. Almost as sleazy as the only black person with a speaking line on "Once" turning out to be a dead white woman in drag who came back from the dead to kill him off-screen. Must be that Obama backlash I'm hearing about.
Oct. 17, 2012, 4:48 a.m. CST
Oct. 17, 2012, 6:09 a.m. CST
Oct. 17, 2012, 6:19 a.m. CST
by rakesh patel
whoo what a conker. i also like to jump on the man geeks bandwagon. she also has pointy knees. 3/10 would not bang.
Oct. 17, 2012, 7:40 a.m. CST
Because she looks like a fucking crow and should be barred from television.
Oct. 17, 2012, 9:07 a.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
Oct. 17, 2012, 11:22 a.m. CST
and doesn't have the same self-important vibe that GA has. I too used to like Grey's Anatomy back in the first few seasons. But the characters just became way too unlikable. I'll give this show another look next week to see how it goes but I can't see what can be done to save itself an ongoing space on my DVR. As for "worst new show of the season", did none of those reviewers see "Partners", "Guys With Kids", "The Mob Doctor", "Animal Hospital"?** All those were worse than this. I'd put this show roughly on par with "Made in Jersey": I liked the cast and it had some good writing, but had a lot of bad writing too. "Jersey" wasn't the worst show of the new Fall season, but it was the first to fall. **apologies if I didn't quite get the titles of those shows correct but I care so little for them I can't be arsed to look them up.
Oct. 17, 2012, 12:34 p.m. CST
What I can't understand... how does the network/prod co NOT realize at an earlier stage just how unimaginably awful something like this surely must be?
Or, is everyone involved actually painfully aware of it, they're just grimacing and hoping to get thru the first couple eps at least without the audience really noticing too closely?
Oct. 17, 2012, 1:19 p.m. CST
Look at the highest rated shows on TV. Are they all the pinnacle of quality and excellence? It's all about demographics and focus groups and synergy and paradigm shifts and the status quo and revenue streams. The quality of the product is irrelevant; if it sells, great, if not, time to throw a bunch of new stuff against the wall and see what sticks.
Oct. 17, 2012, 2:04 p.m. CST
by maxwell's hammer
...than Talk Backers talking about which TV actresses they wouldn't have sex with.
Oct. 17, 2012, 3:48 p.m. CST
Its like if felicity had wanted to be a doctor and finished med school. Plus I was really worried the little girl was gonna die. Any show that makes you feel that way about a character you will never see again is doing a good job.
Oct. 17, 2012, 4:02 p.m. CST
Oct. 17, 2012, 4:51 p.m. CST
who was being nice to her was actually screwing with her. At one point I got to thinking maybe she wasn't even the Chief's daughter (but we saw that she was). It didn't come out that she's the one who stole the pager, but I think she did. Probably to get Emily to do her a favour, the same favour that got the nurse pissed at her (the same nurse fooling around with the Chief).
Oct. 18, 2012, 8:31 p.m. CST
why aren't more shows about teenagers becoming adults like that?
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 675 total posts 52 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 404 total posts 38 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 36 total posts 19 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 210 total posts 19 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 359 total posts 12 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 308 total posts 9 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts