Capone likes the high creep factor of SINISTER…and that's just Ethan Hawke's performance!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
When it comes to horror films, I pretty much have one rule: if the film actually scares me, that's enough for a modest recommendation. If it has strong characters, whose lives I would actually like to not see snuffed out by the end of the film, then it will receive even more praise. SINISTER director Scott Derrickson made a particularly frightening little movie a few years back called THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE, which I was a big fan of for the reason I mention above. Then he went on to do the especially appalling remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Not a fan, at all. Now he (and co-writer C. Robert Cargill) have concocted a clever take on the found footage wave that is sweeping horror films today, thanks in large part to the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY movies. Only this time, the movie is the story of the guy who actually finds and watches said footage, and the price he pays for his unbridled curiosity.
Naturally the man in question is a writer who is having trouble getting his next crime novel started. It just so happens that Ellison Oswalt (Ethan Hawke; and give me a break with that name) has moved into a house in which murders have occurred (something he knows, but he neglects to tell his family), and he's hoping for a little inspiration and material out of that fact. But a box of film reels in the attic reveals some terrifying and nasty truths about the handful of murders, and just his watching them seems to open up some nasty possibilities in his own reality.
So is the film scary? I certainly thought so. But what's most interesting is that the scares are spread apart more than I would have suspected, and what's put in between is a strong drama that involves Oswalt's family (wife Juliet Rylance, daughter Clare Foley, and son Michael Hall D'Addario, most recently seen in PEOPLE LIKE S) and his stifled creative process.
If you haven't figured it out already, SINISTER is simply owned by Hawke's solid work as a not-always-likable guy who is both trying to protect his family and his career, but the more he fuels his creative juices with these films, the greater the danger becomes. But this is the type of Hawke character that I love--squirrelly, guilty, so sure of his own self-worth that everyone else can go to hell.
But once we meet the real villain, a figure who appears in all of the films, and eventually in the house, the deliberately paced SINISTER is given a little shove into a faster-moving horror show. Some weird cameos round out the film, including former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson, playing the local sheriff in a couple of scenes, and Vincent D'Onofrio, who couldn't even be bothered to show up on set and simply pops in for one truly bizarre scene via Skype.
In the end, SINISTER works because it's about more than simply throwing humans and supernatural creatures in a house together and seeing who wins. It's about an artist potentially sacrificing those who mean the most to him for a little bit of fame and critical affirmation. I'm not sure if a sequel would be able to capture that element of the plot, but I'd be curious to see what direction this team might go in for a follow-up.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 12, 2012, 2:18 a.m. CST
by jimmy rabbitte
Time will tell if the biased favoritism is well placed or not.
Oct. 12, 2012, 2:58 a.m. CST
Dragged my girlfriend to see it this week. I agree with everything you have said. Excellent film and very good performances throughout. Just the right amount of creeps, Massa should be proud
Oct. 12, 2012, 8:42 a.m. CST
It was good for a few scares but it was so predictable. I guess the big "twist" at the end about a a quarter through it.
Oct. 12, 2012, 8:57 a.m. CST
One of my favorite actors - check out "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". And shame on you Capone for not mentioning that C. Robert Cargill is also known as Massawyrm around these parts.
Oct. 12, 2012, 11:17 a.m. CST
i really need to know before i plunk down my 12 bucks. thanks!
Oct. 12, 2012, 11:44 a.m. CST
Love The Hawke!
Oct. 12, 2012, 1:25 p.m. CST
I don't see how people are complaining about being able to see the twist from afar. The movie does not even rely on it and I would be hard pressed to even call it a twist. It's more of a plot development/climax. It's not from out of left field, as it is clearly hinted throughout the film. Massawrym should be proud as this is one finely written film. The scares may be cheap but they work. Pretty much everything works. The family seem like a genuine fleshed out group. Hawke does a great job carrying the film. The writing is smart and never falls into silly horror tropes. The film is genuinely disturbing and unforgiving as fuck. The side characters are great especially Ziggy from The Wire (season 2). And the ideas of a life of a fame over a life of substance and man's need to leave a "legacy," is what makes this film stand out. One of my favorites of the year. Finally a film that lives up to the hype I had for it.
Oct. 12, 2012, 5:40 p.m. CST
by Cletus Van Damme
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 58 total posts 36 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 152 total posts 32 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 57 total posts 31 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 325 total posts 31 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 341 total posts 22 posts
- Atom Egoyan's West Memphis Three Drama DEVIL'S KNOT Gets A Suitably Dramatic Trailer! -- 32 total posts 18 posts
- ‘That Place Can Be Exhausting!!’ Herc Endorses Tonight’s JUSTIFIED 5.9!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 100 total posts 13 posts