Capone reviews KEVIN JAMES GOES BOOM or MR. HOLLAND'S CONCUSSION or whatever the hell it's called!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
Now I'm going to say some things that might not make sense or you may not like (or both), but just know that I come from a good and pure place of trying to steer you toward the good and away from the bad. So when I tell you that the new Kevin James movie HERE COMES THE BOOM isn't that bad, you have to believe that I say it in the spirit of being true to my craft no matter how much James has burned me in the past. I was particularly dreading this movie because of director Frank Coraci's filmography, which includes James' god-awful ZOOKEEPER from last year, as well as the Adam Sandler flicks CLICK and THE WATERBOY, and the abysmal AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. He also helmed Sandler's THE WEDDING SINGER, which is actually quite good.
But that doesn't mean anything when the plot of HERE COMES THE BOOM is about high school biology teacher and former college wrestler Scott Voss (James), who wants to save the school's music program by making money doing mixed martial arts in his off hours. At first he figures he can make enough money just by showing up and losing (not throwing the matches, but just fighting and getting plastered in the process).
But through a grand plot contrivance that is so dumb I won't even repeat it, he must win an actual televised championship match against an overqualified opponent. He has been training, so he's actually managed to win some matches along the way, but James looks kind of silly next to some of the men he's fighting against.
A part of me believes that James' recent personal commitment to getting in shape and losing weight inspired some studio guy to think, "Hey Kevin's in good shape, let's make a movie about that somehow." It's a stupid concept that occasionally works because they never play the matches for laughs (well, almost never). The film takes the sport seriously, even if James and Coraci can't resist making the rest of the film silly.
Henry Winkler is on hand playing the music teacher whose job Scott is essentially saving; he's not given much to do but cheer in Scott's corner, but it's always great seeing him around in anything. Less successful is Salma Hayek trying to be funny; I've seen childbirth videos that look like less effort. She plays the school nurse who Scott never stops asking out. But once he starts fighting and getting hurt, she starts to show an interest. What are we teaching our children, people?
I would never say James isn't a funny guy; he can be under the right circumstances, and these are the right ones about 50 percent of them time. But the film works best as a sports drama about a teacher who works hard, trains hard, does the work and becomes a contender. Is HERE COMES THE BOOM manipulative and hokey? Sure. What sports movie isn't? But it isn't offensively so, and that surprised me. Far from James' worst work, this film has its moments more often than it bored or angered me. The mildest of recommendations, but a recommendation nonetheless. That said, there are about a half-dozen, far superior movies you should see before this one. Once you've seen all of those, you can think about paying money for watching KEVIN JAMES GO BOOM.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 12, 2012, 1:56 a.m. CST
Or something from other acclaimed independent filmmakers and will blow everybody away! He has it in him. Too bad that for now he decides to just earn easy money, although I can't blame him.
Oct. 12, 2012, 2:06 a.m. CST
He needs better material.
Oct. 12, 2012, 3:40 a.m. CST
Imagine how much better and plausible this movie would've been if they went the raging bull route where James took time off to really get in shape.
by Cedric Ford
Oct. 12, 2012, 6:40 a.m. CST
by Fries Against
Oct. 12, 2012, 8:51 a.m. CST
by Andrew Coleman
Hollywood fuck off.
Oct. 12, 2012, 9:15 a.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
Oct. 12, 2012, 11:24 a.m. CST
i like big butts and i cannot lie!
Oct. 12, 2012, 3:10 p.m. CST
Oct. 12, 2012, 3:12 p.m. CST
Oct. 12, 2012, 11:01 p.m. CST
by Mike McCutcheon
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 296 total posts 9 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 135 total posts 6 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 344 total posts 4 posts
- The Premieres Of ABC’s Fantasy/Reality Hybrid THE QUEST!! BIG BROTHER Eviction Five!! New NAKED, COMIC, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, MED, RUSH, RECTIFY, ROOKIE, DOOMSDAY, DOMINION, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GANG, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Aubrey Plaza On THE DAILY SHOW!! Megyn Kelly On SETH!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 3 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 100 total posts 3 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 755 total posts 2 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 274 total posts 2 posts
- Is a New TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Film in the Works? -- 65 total posts 2 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 196 total posts 1 post
- NBC Hires A PILF To Play Peter Pan Opposite Walken’s Captain Hook!! -- 66 total posts 1 post