Hercules Says Dick Wolf's
CHICAGO FIRE Is Not So Hot!!
A drama about firefighters in a town known for its fire, “Chicago Fire” comes to us from screenwriters Michael Brandt & Derek Haas (“2 Fast 2 Furious,” “Catch That Kid,” “Wanted,” “The Double”).
It stars handsome Jesse Spencer (“House”), the fabulous Lauren German (“Hostel 2,” “Happy Town,” “Hawaii Five-0”) and the great Eamonn Walker (“Oz,” “Kings”).
It depicts the world’s best-looking paramedics and firefighters, but also perhaps the world’s least interesting. “Chicago Fire” isn’t even as compelling as “Third Watch,” let alone “Rescue Me.”
... what you really need to know about this saga of firefighters and paramedics is that it has no spark, no fire, it's utterly damp, it's on life support, it needs CPR, [insert your own tired pun here]. …
… The blazes aren’t very convincing, and neither are the intrasquad dramas …
... this is not "Rescue Me," the Denis Leary dysfunctional firemen show, by a long shot. The conflicts are more conventional, the sentiments more sentimental. But there is life-and-death suspense on the streets, some of it impressively staged; convincing ordinary detail in the station house; and a cast that has been clearly encouraged, in the Jack Webb-derived Dick Wolf way of things, to underplay. …
... given [Dick] Wolf's skill at defying the odds to make formulaic TV interesting, you'd expect his new show, premiering Wednesday on NBC, to be minimally worth a look. It isn't. …
... Everyone here, including “Oz’s” Eamonn Walker as the battalion chief, is working from the same medium-grim setting, with medium-grim dialogue, which quickly drags the story and action into the still-smoldering ruins of other fire-and-rescue dramas. …
... a derivative ensemble drama with no point of view at all. It’s the widget of TV dramas. …
... a garden-variety action procedural, with a crew of EZ-to-read characters and story lines that start at A and finish exactly where you expect them to, at Zzz. …
It can't have been easy to turn a subject this hot into a show that struggles to reach lukewarm. ... Carefully remove every shred of originality or excitement, and you're left with that kind of well-funded mediocrity that marks so many broadcast series. …
... if you’re looking for something groundbreaking in the procedural department, you’re not going to find it in this drama about guys on the Firehouse 51 truck …
... almost as drab as a pile of ash. …
10 p.m. Wednesday. NBC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 10, 2012, 2:13 p.m. CST
by Uncle Pooky
Oct. 10, 2012, 2:39 p.m. CST
I mean, I'm guessing the budget for this wasn't exactly cheap. It's gotta be a little pricey to stage multiple big fires like this. And, from all the bad reviews I've heard so far (pretty sure I've literally not seen 1 good one yet), I'm thinking the script had to be kinda weak at best. So how do you bother pouring that much money into something that's so mediocre on the page?? I quite like Jesse Spencer (insanely big House fan right here), but I'm sorry... no go
I go to Bears games with a bunch of Chicago Firefighters and one has been doing extras work on the show. A few of the cast members (Jesse Spencer, Teri Reeves, Joe Minoso) came and tailgated with us a few weeks ago and were really great people. I'll give it a watch just because they bought me a couple of beers during the game.
Oct. 10, 2012, 3:09 p.m. CST
Oct. 10, 2012, 3:21 p.m. CST
I kind of want to see this for Taylor Kinney, who at one point was dubbed "where all emotion goes to die."
by Bill C.
That's from back in the 'Fashion House' days, BTW. And I still have some residual love for Eamonn Walker from 'Kings,' so I suppose I'll DVR this and watch it in the morning.
Oct. 10, 2012, 4:08 p.m. CST
Most days I can't pick one over the other.
Oct. 10, 2012, 5:04 p.m. CST
Like that video game designer. Shit, the Rocky theme is just blasting in my head as I look at that name. DICK WOLFKILL. Shit you guys!
Oct. 10, 2012, 11:37 p.m. CST
Here are just two glaring examples of how cliche ridden this piece of shit will be, judging from the promos...
by American Mythos
Two male fire fighters are at odds over the death of another. Those same two characters eventually tell each other, before heading into a fire, "We go in together, we come out together." And another tells his girlfriend, and I kid you not, "Don't you ever just wanna live every day... like it might be your last?" I almost threw up a little.
Oct. 11, 2012, 12:43 a.m. CST
Oh, here's another one: Beautiful woman asks hunky firefighter "How long have you been a firefighter?" Hunky firefighter responds "Since the day I was born." Haha. Does Dick Wolf actually write this shit? I just can't picture it.
by American Mythos
Oct. 11, 2012, 9:38 a.m. CST
Cockroaches living in a post-apocalyptic nightmare will be watching new back-to-back episodes of Chicago Fire and Chicago Fire: Special Fires Unit.
Oct. 11, 2012, 10:25 a.m. CST
Tonight on Chicago Fire: SFU: Melendez investigates a fire accused of molesting three children, while Predergast gets disturbing news from home about his father.
I would actually watch a show about sexually-related fires.
Oct. 11, 2012, 1:05 p.m. CST
Oct. 12, 2012, 8:16 a.m. CST
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 389 total posts 69 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 490 total posts 39 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 676 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 196 total posts 7 posts
- SDCC '14: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 flying into our galaxy in July 2017! -- 88 total posts 7 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Luc Besson’s LUCY, MONTY PYTHON LIVE (MOSTLY), Tomorrow’s LEFTOVERS And The Latest STAR WARS, DC, MARVEL, LOUIE, 24, HBO & GAME OF THRONES News!! Plus The Return Of AICN’s Own Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 270 total posts 5 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 58 total posts 4 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 111 total posts 4 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 39 total posts 3 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 97 total posts 2 posts