What Make The Critics
Of ABC’s NASHVILLE??
A music-biz soap from screenwriter Callie Khouri (“Thelma & Louise,” “Something To Talk About,” “Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood”), “Nashville” follows a fading country music megastar who finds herself forced to open for a younger, hotter act.
It stars Connie Britton (“Friday Night Lights”), Hayden Panettiere (“Heroes”), Eric Close (“Without A Trace”) and Powers Booth (“Deadwood,” “Hatfields & McCoys”).
I could tell you about the pilot, or you can just watch it, right here right now:
... It's a much better follow-up to "Friday Night Lights" for [Connie Britton] than "American Horror Story" was. … a smart mix of soap opera, music and political intrigue. …
... give "Nashville" a chance, but not just because Connie Britton is terrific in it. There are a host of other reasons to check out this ABC drama: The supporting cast is uniformly terrific, a series of political and personal dilemmas are depicted with thoughtful nuance, and this show isn't so much about country music as it is about a desire to communicate, be loved and be heard. …
... In the pilot most things that have to do with music and the music business are good, and most things that don’t are dull and sometimes worse. …
... you really don't have to love country music to love "Nashville." In fact, even if you find this kind of music corny and simplistic, you may find yourself coming away from the show singing an entirely different tune. …
... I half expect that “Nashville” may well be lured down the path of eye-rolling melodrama soon enough (like NBC’s “Smash”), but until then, I’d like to bask in its tender perfection.
... it's the clear writing and the blunt, brass tacks portrayal of Rayna's business dealings that give credibility to the characters and authenticity to the situations …
... The mix of music, political power-plays and pure soap promises to be addictive. …
... It’s not the “quality” programming found on HBO or Showtime, or a sensitively written saga in the vein of “Friday Night Lights.” But then it’s not quite a trashy, scandal-driven, operatic soap on the order of “Revenge,” either. “Nashville” falls somewhere in between the two extremes, a story that thrives on heightened melodrama and big twists but gives its characters more depth than you generally find in network lather-fests. …
... an entertaining hour of fine acting, writing and ambition. Even if you’re not a country music fan, the rest of Nashville is singing a different, intriguing tune.…
... While there's promise in the pilot and especially the casting, the show feels a trifle disjointed, as if compelled to load up on a surplus of elements and subplots. Better that, perhaps, than fumbling for storylines, but if there's this much crooning throughout, the series might lose some viewers who simply grow weary of "She done him wrong" songs. …
10 p.m. Wednesday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 10, 2012, 2:13 p.m. CST
and also Connie Britton...
Oct. 10, 2012, 3:03 p.m. CST
She gets dissed here for her AHS work, but man was she good. Just watch the first episode of Season 1 - she has a fight with her husband (Dylan McDermott) that is one of the most realistic husband/wife tussles I've ever seen on TV. All performances in AHS were amazing, regardless of what you think of the show.
Oct. 10, 2012, 3:28 p.m. CST
by Adam D. Kline
Better than most of the total anal bloodsquirts Hitfix recommends.
Oct. 10, 2012, 3:34 p.m. CST
Was/is happening... this show will probably get cancelled. Not a move up unless country lovin' usa watches it. I have no interested in country music so i just have no real interest in it.
Oct. 10, 2012, 4:25 p.m. CST
I thought the EXACT same thing about that fight...made me uncomfortable to watch as it was so realistic in my opinion. That scene should be in drama schools for the next 30 years. I'll skip Nashville though....ick
Oct. 10, 2012, 4:38 p.m. CST
Up and Coming Starring Marilyn Chambers, but the premise was the same.
Oct. 10, 2012, 4:41 p.m. CST
Just saying, "ya'll".
Oct. 10, 2012, 5:23 p.m. CST
Oct. 10, 2012, 5:31 p.m. CST
Love that woman, and Hayden is smoking hot IMO. She can act a bit too. This would not be my cup of tea if it is mostly country music based. I will wait for a few of you peeps to watch it and report back. BTW the stupid reviewers shitting on AHS and Revenge are probably the same idiots who back shit like Made in Jersey.
Oct. 10, 2012, 6:39 p.m. CST
most critcis are raving about it so I'm assuming Herc hates it and doesn't want to appear in the small minority so he will refuse comment...he stated he doesn't like Arrow but that's because every other critic agrees
Oct. 11, 2012, 8:52 a.m. CST
Oct. 11, 2012, 2:32 p.m. CST
I watched the first episode and it was ok. The acting was very good. The plot kept my interest and I'll probably watch the next episode to see where it goes. There was one thing that bothered me though: for two supposedly country "stars", they were able to walk around town without being asked for their autographs or followed by paparazzi? No one seemed to recognize them on the street, so it was hard to buy into their "star" status.
Oct. 11, 2012, 6:34 p.m. CST
Oct. 11, 2012, 6:35 p.m. CST
About my balls.
Oct. 11, 2012, 8:30 p.m. CST
by Norman Colson
I remember when sylar finally got her powers and he was finished with her she sounded like disappointed because she thought sylar wanted to rape her and he didnt. I was like what?! Then i started thinking, maybe claire liked to get raped by sylar, i mean why the disappointed look like he rejected you... Wow. psychosis much?
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 87 total posts 83 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 425 total posts 12 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 725 total posts 11 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 31 total posts 6 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 54 total posts 4 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 570 total posts 3 posts