SPOILER ALERT! AICN COMICS PODCAST: Part Two of our DC #0 issue recap! Plus Grant Morrison’s HAPPY!!!
@@@ AICN COMICS PODCAST @@@
Ambush Bug here. The below hour-plus long conversation took place between myself and my fellow @$$holes Matt Adler, Optimous Douche, and our host Johnny Destructo of PoptardsGo.com as we talked about JUSTICE LEAGUE #0, BATMAN INC #0, I, VAMPIRE #0, JUSITCE LEAGUE DARK #0, SWORD OF SORCERY #0, TALON #0, TEEN TITANS #0, Grant Morrison’s HAPPY! #1, another episode of @$$terpiece Theatre, listener email, and of course, more general jack@$$$ery!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 2, 2012, 9:07 a.m. CST
I got a lot of issues. FUCK BEFORE WATCHMEN
Oct. 2, 2012, 9:43 a.m. CST
or at least handjob Before Watchmen, show it your appreciation for being great with a little hand-love!
Oct. 2, 2012, 9:44 a.m. CST
Oct. 2, 2012, 10:13 a.m. CST
Original Recipe John Constantine is way more interesting than New 52 John Constantine.
Oct. 2, 2012, 10:13 a.m. CST
by Greg Nielsen
It can be the Watchmen babies issues we all totally wanted
Oct. 2, 2012, 10:17 a.m. CST
by Greg Nielsen
I still have no clue what the origins of half of The Authority characters are. I just found the first 3 trades in a Half Price Books and I didn't have a hard time at all. I wish that the industry would break away from these cliches. They make things feel stale even when they aren't. Also, Justice League Dark, Lemire is a good writer but he seems much to beholden to Alan Moore and really especially Jamie Delano in his writing. I get that that is what he grew up on. I just wish he'd write his own versions of these characters. He can keep pieces but no need to go to far. Azzarello is doing it with Wonder Woman. It's clearly something people can accomplish. Lemire is also one of the few truely good writers that DC has right now. I might be holding the standard too high.
Oct. 2, 2012, 10:21 a.m. CST
I did pick up issue 1 of MANHATTAN out of curiosity. Great art, and I will admit the writing is good. But my opposition to BEFORE WATCHMEN is not based on whether it's good or not, so fuck it in the ass! Plus I was reminded why I never buy single issues. They are too short and full of unsightly ads. I probably won't ever read any of that zero stuff. I haven't been into big mainstream superhero events since the 90s although I did buy CIVIL WAR because the art was amazing. Then I read collections of BLACKEST NIGHT and FINAL CRISIS the pair of which have driven me away from mainstream superhero events for good. I still have fond memories of ZERO HOUR from 1994, which had the same gimmick of a zero issue for every title. Wow, almost twenty years have passed. Fuck, I'm old. Back then I had even more serious compulsion issues and so pretty much have the entire event. Those issues were pretty cool in large part... I can hardly remember but I think they showed alternate origins for most of the characters. I've been reading LUCIFER, BULLETPROOF COFFIN, MANHATTAN PROJECTS, and some FABLES. All excellent stuff.
Oct. 2, 2012, 11:13 a.m. CST
Wrinkle fetish aside, Frank is a much stronger designer than Jim Lee, so his ability to tell the story visually is usually more successful. I think DC is on to something with featuring characters that have nothing to do with the title. Detective comics should drop that bat character altogether and feature Plastic Man, Green Lantern could recount the exploits of Sgt. Rock, and Wonder Woman could be about the early days of Gorilla Grodd. Because, you know, confusing new readers hasn't been an issue for the comics industry or anything like that. But that's just my old school, lowest common denominator opinion.
Oct. 2, 2012, 12:43 p.m. CST
by Greg Nielsen
I remember getting this Wonder Woman trade written by Allen Hienberg and drawn by Terry Dodson. It had a section drawn by Gary Frank. He was determined to draw Nemesis as Brad Pitt and the General in the scene as George Clooney. The problem is that their faces came out looking like they had been sucked dry of water. Prune monsters all of them! He did some really good work on parts of Squadron Supreme. Parts of it also really sucked. The biggest problem I have with him is when he does close ups. He sticks to long and medium shots everything tends to shape up nicely. I also don't draw for a living and I'm sure I'd suck at it. I'd totally take Gary Frank JLA over Jim Lee at this point. Lee is biding his time for Wildcats.
Oct. 2, 2012, 1:38 p.m. CST
He's just not a good designer. Few comic artists are - that's why it's so hard to discern what panels are trying to convey in a great deal of the material out there. So many comic artists think more detail = better artwork; and they create a lot of visual noise as a result. Less is more. That doesn't mean all comic illustration has to be Joe Shuster-type renderings. But endless detail means the issues take longer to produce, with an end result that doesn't really merit the effort. I AM a professional illustrator/graphic designer, and I approved this message.
Oct. 2, 2012, 1:54 p.m. CST
by Greg Nielsen
You said it better than me sir. Although, I'll always have a soft spot for Juan Jose Ryp. He crams all kinds of details in and it still comes out readable. Plus, he can do a schedule.
Oct. 2, 2012, 3:36 p.m. CST
That's why Art Adams is my favourite artist of all time.. that guy could put insane detail and also convey a story masterfully through page layout and panel composition
Oct. 2, 2012, 3:45 p.m. CST
Gary Frank is one of the few comic artist that give me an Uncanny Valley vibe with some of his stuff...
Some of his characters creep me out because they have that same dead Uncanny Valley look in their eyes usually reserved for Robert Zemekis mocap monstrosities and creepy Japanese trade show robots. Maybe it's because the rest of his stuff is so detailed and they eyes look dead. Never thought I'd get that creepy vibe from a drawing.
Oct. 2, 2012, 7:38 p.m. CST
Holy Balls, you are quite right sir... Fuck, I really liked Frank's stuff. Now that's going to be in the back of my mind from here on out.
Oct. 2, 2012, 8:35 p.m. CST
....seems plausable to me. Acrobats. Escape artists. Marksmen. Animal trainers. Heck even a roustabout swinging a hammer has a skills that could be used to a hired killers advantage.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 700 total posts 77 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 409 total posts 43 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 363 total posts 28 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 44 total posts 27 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 211 total posts 21 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 366 total posts 19 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 21 total posts 13 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 9 posts