Barbara Crampton and AJ Bowen join Emily Hagins' Grow Up, Tony Phillips!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I can't tell you how weird it is to hear Variety announce casting in a movie that's starring my brother. I'm absolutely positively in no way unbiased when it comes to Grow Up, Tony Phillips. I've known director Emily Hagins since she was a wee lass, given notes on the script (it's quite good) and they're populating this coming of age tale with friends and family.
Tony co-starred in most of Emily's movies since they were both preteens and having read the script I can say the casting announcements of AJ Bowen and Barbara Crampton are perfect. Crampton would play Tony's mom (hey, does that make Barbara my mom, too? If so, then I need to see a shrink...) and AJ would play a good for nothing horrible role model for Tony.
The basic rundown is about a teenager who refuses to let go of his love of Halloween when all his friends are moving onto more teenagery things. There's a very sweet thread of not losing your passion as the world moves constantly forward around you.
Now, this movie has a Kickstarter running to bring some of the funds to the movie and they've also announced an offering for you Mondo fans. If you reach the $50 donation level you'll get a Jay Shaw-illustrated poster that will only ever be available through this Kickstarter (and, presumably, ebay).
So, now you have no excuse not to donate. I'm sure the extra funds being raised through this Kickstarter will make a huge difference for this indie film.
So, way to go Tony. I'm proud of you. Now don't fuck it up. Emily, don't let Tony fuck it up.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 1, 2012, 1:31 p.m. CST
That's not to say I'm accusing Emily of theft, as I'm not. I wish her all the best in her cinematic endeavors. The Twilight spoof angle of Teen Romance kind-of killed the possibility of me sitting through it but I'll check this one out.
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:05 p.m. CST
You could cast him to play a turd, and it'd probably be the most damned entertaining turd you've ever seen.
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:16 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:25 p.m. CST
Barbara is all kinds of bangable - So sexy in The Reanimator -- Shouldn't there be hot pics of her in this post? Get on the ball Quint
by Joey Stars
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:34 p.m. CST
by Raptor Jesus
We love you, Barbara. But you knew that already.
Oct. 1, 2012, 3:08 p.m. CST
by Adam D. Kline
She must go easy with the teeth...
Oct. 1, 2012, 3:33 p.m. CST
It's not THE Re-Animator for shit's sake. It's just Re-goddamn-Animator.
Oct. 1, 2012, 5:48 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 6:13 p.m. CST
When is that coming out? I think Barbara also has a role in Rob Zombie's latest. love him or hate him, I like the fact that he casts genre favorites in his movies.
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:05 p.m. CST
barbara crampton!!!!! i am fucking in. i will buy 10 tickets for myself. now thats a real woman!!!! go movies :)
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:07 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:09 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:44 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:46 p.m. CST
Oct. 2, 2012, 1:07 a.m. CST
;) Sorry, had to go there. I've always found this period of time fascinating. Too old to Trick or Treat yet too teenagery(?) to realize how fucking awesome Halloween is. Luckily my time was short and I filled those awkward teen years with scaring the kiddies on Halloween. It's funny that Halloween means more to me now than as a kid.
Oct. 2, 2012, 10:42 p.m. CST
by Red Ned Lynch
Oct. 2, 2012, 11:28 p.m. CST
- Wanna hear the least annoying sound in the world? Repeat after me: Universal picks up DUMB AND DUMBER TO!! -- 91 total posts 36 posts
- PROMETHEUS 2 now has a writer!!! -- 672 total posts 33 posts
- Harry's 25th Picks & Peeks of 2013!!! With THINGS TO COME, OCTAMAN, Bette Davis, STOKER, HOWLING, LIFEFORCE & more! -- 252 total posts 32 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST: The @$$Holes take stabs at MAN OF STEEL, plus a review of Scott Snyder’s SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! -- 38 total posts 31 posts
- Sweet knights of Colombus!! A new trailer for ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES has been unleashed!! -- 30 total posts 30 posts
- UPDATED WITH POSTER!! GO BUY SOME LEGOS, KIDS a.k.a. THE LEGO MOVIE stacks up a trailer!! -- 85 total posts 28 posts
- Copernicus On The Science Of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS!! -- 1223 total posts 25 posts
- Father Geek says MAN OF STEEL is pretty much the best Superhero Movie ever made and I'm not gonna argue! -- 1875 total posts 24 posts
- WWZ blah-ditty, blah, blah, blah! AICN HORROR’s got a truly unique zombie film you should check out instead called THE BATTERY! -- 28 total posts 23 posts
- ICEBERG SLIM: PORTRAIT OF A PIMP has a trailer to tantalize your interests -- 32 total posts 15 posts