Barbara Crampton and AJ Bowen join Emily Hagins' Grow Up, Tony Phillips!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I can't tell you how weird it is to hear Variety announce casting in a movie that's starring my brother. I'm absolutely positively in no way unbiased when it comes to Grow Up, Tony Phillips. I've known director Emily Hagins since she was a wee lass, given notes on the script (it's quite good) and they're populating this coming of age tale with friends and family.
Tony co-starred in most of Emily's movies since they were both preteens and having read the script I can say the casting announcements of AJ Bowen and Barbara Crampton are perfect. Crampton would play Tony's mom (hey, does that make Barbara my mom, too? If so, then I need to see a shrink...) and AJ would play a good for nothing horrible role model for Tony.
The basic rundown is about a teenager who refuses to let go of his love of Halloween when all his friends are moving onto more teenagery things. There's a very sweet thread of not losing your passion as the world moves constantly forward around you.
Now, this movie has a Kickstarter running to bring some of the funds to the movie and they've also announced an offering for you Mondo fans. If you reach the $50 donation level you'll get a Jay Shaw-illustrated poster that will only ever be available through this Kickstarter (and, presumably, ebay).
So, now you have no excuse not to donate. I'm sure the extra funds being raised through this Kickstarter will make a huge difference for this indie film.
So, way to go Tony. I'm proud of you. Now don't fuck it up. Emily, don't let Tony fuck it up.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 1, 2012, 1:31 p.m. CST
That's not to say I'm accusing Emily of theft, as I'm not. I wish her all the best in her cinematic endeavors. The Twilight spoof angle of Teen Romance kind-of killed the possibility of me sitting through it but I'll check this one out.
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:05 p.m. CST
You could cast him to play a turd, and it'd probably be the most damned entertaining turd you've ever seen.
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:16 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:25 p.m. CST
Barbara is all kinds of bangable - So sexy in The Reanimator -- Shouldn't there be hot pics of her in this post? Get on the ball Quint
by Joey Stars
Oct. 1, 2012, 2:34 p.m. CST
by Raptor Jesus
We love you, Barbara. But you knew that already.
Oct. 1, 2012, 3:08 p.m. CST
by Adam D. Kline
She must go easy with the teeth...
Oct. 1, 2012, 3:33 p.m. CST
It's not THE Re-Animator for shit's sake. It's just Re-goddamn-Animator.
Oct. 1, 2012, 5:48 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 6:13 p.m. CST
When is that coming out? I think Barbara also has a role in Rob Zombie's latest. love him or hate him, I like the fact that he casts genre favorites in his movies.
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:05 p.m. CST
barbara crampton!!!!! i am fucking in. i will buy 10 tickets for myself. now thats a real woman!!!! go movies :)
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:07 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:09 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:44 p.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 8:46 p.m. CST
Oct. 2, 2012, 1:07 a.m. CST
;) Sorry, had to go there. I've always found this period of time fascinating. Too old to Trick or Treat yet too teenagery(?) to realize how fucking awesome Halloween is. Luckily my time was short and I filled those awkward teen years with scaring the kiddies on Halloween. It's funny that Halloween means more to me now than as a kid.
Oct. 2, 2012, 10:42 p.m. CST
by Red Ned Lynch
Oct. 2, 2012, 11:28 p.m. CST
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 146 total posts 136 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 132 total posts 26 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 67 total posts 15 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 37 total posts 11 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 175 total posts 10 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 64 total posts 5 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 106 total posts 3 posts
- New International Trailer for ANNIE! -- 175 total posts 3 posts
- A New Group Shot Of The EXPENDABLES 3 Cast!! -- 54 total posts 3 posts
- Wanna see some location video from the filming of Guillermo del Toro's CRIMSON PEAK? -- 13 total posts 2 posts