To Backstab Or To Be Backstabbed - That's How You Earn A Copy Of SPARTACUS: A GAME OF BLOOD AND TREACHERY!!
The Kidd here...
I'm not one for spending a lot of time playing board games anymore. My epic games of RISK in college notwithstanding, I never got into a lot of the gaming scene that exists. There is some hardcore participation in the strategy and role-playing area of things, but I've just never had the dedication to put myself into it wholeheartedly. Oh, those brief forays into DUNGEONS & DRAGONS...
In any event, not too long ago, Gale Force Nine sent me over a copy of SPARTACUS: A GAME OF BLOOD AND TREACHERY, based on the popular Starz series which I had never seen, to see what I thought. I told them I'd give it a play and send them back my feedback, and instead of playing cards one night with my usual crew, it became a SPARTACUS night, as the game asked for four players to really play it at its best.
My friends were skepitcal with the multiple stacks of cards, loads of dice and pretty extensive set of rules, and, while the game started off slow as we got our feet wet, once the first signs of deal-making and conspiring against one another reared their awesome heads, it was on for the next few hours. In fact, it was our own Jon Doe who committed that we should no longer play cards anymore... that SPARTACUS should become a regular thing... and I agreed.
So with such an awesome game in my hands, I thought it'd be a bit selfish to just enjoy it on my own. I went back to Gale Force Nine and asked if we could turn some of these over to our readers who would absolutely appreciate it, and they were more than happy to oblige.
I've got FOUR copies of SPARTACUS: A GAME OF BLOOD AND TREACHERY up for grabs here, and this one is open to every one of our Ain't It Cool readers around the world (any taxes and duties are the responsibility of international winners though).
How do you take your best shot at taking one of these sweet games home? That's easy. Let's hear about some backstabbing.
I want to hear about the worst cutthroat backstabbing you've ever been a part of - on either the giving or receiving end of. You can substitute names, if need be, to protect those who were screwed over or did the screwing, but I want the gory details of the time you seriously screwed someone over or got screwed over yourself - who was involved, what was at stake, why did you/they do it, etc.
The four best stories to come my way will be playing SPARTACUS: A GAME OF BLOOD AND TREACHERY as a result.
In the body of your email, send your name, mailing address and backstabbing story to Contests@AintItCool.com with the following subject line exactly (in all CAPS):
TWIST THE KNIFE, WHY DON'T YOU?
If you're missing any of the information I'm asking for, then it's as if you don't even have an entry, no matter how good it may have been. And you've only got ONE shot at this, as only ONE entry is permitted per person. That means if you do it wrong the first time and need to resend it, that's TWO entries, and you're out.
Entries will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. EST on Thursday, October 4, and the winners will be judged by me... and my word is final.
Good luck to you all, and thanks to Gale Force Nine for setting this up with us.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 1, 2012, 7:36 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
Oct. 1, 2012, 7:36 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
Oct. 1, 2012, 7:50 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
Oct. 1, 2012, 10:20 a.m. CST
Oct. 1, 2012, 11:57 a.m. CST
The Honor (Among Nerds) Code is in effect
Oct. 1, 2012, 1:29 p.m. CST
Hopefully the game will be better.
Oct. 1, 2012, 1:30 p.m. CST
by Mike Soiseth
And I found it terrible. Bad, fakey sets, fakey action, bad acting, etc. I also thought it was probably aimed at the 12-30 gay men demographic. Nothing wrong with that, but even there it fails due to the poor production quality. Truly sub-par all around.
Oct. 1, 2012, 3:05 p.m. CST
I thought of it as 300 Lite that was trying too hard and not succeeding. Despite being underwhelmed I checked out episode 2. Then 3. Then 4. And somewhere in there realized I was hooked. I ended up watching the first 9 episodes in two days (On Demand) and was dismayed at having to wait another 24 hours for #10 (what was worse was waiting a whole week for each episode that followed). Some of the greatest "Holy Shit!" moments in TV that year, with one of the most satisfying finales to boot. Some questionable production values with some massively over the top to the point of cartoonish blood and gore, but dammit if it wasn't the most fun I had watching any show that year. Season 2 (the prequel season) was equally fun. Really enjoyed Season 3 but it is missing some of the elements that made the first two so great to watch.
Oct. 1, 2012, 4:16 p.m. CST
by Bill C.
You haven't dismantled your slave army!
Oct. 1, 2012, 4:17 p.m. CST
Best game of the show. Hands down. More interactive than most other board games and it's always fun to screw over your friends.
Oct. 2, 2012, 11:01 a.m. CST
by albert comin
If you hesitate to watch it because it feels corny or stupid, i understand your feeling because i felt the same. And the first 4 episodes of the first series are not inspiring, but a magical thing happens around episode 5 and it becames total awesome and ever very clever. And the prequel season is even better (but it should be seen after the first season). Basically, it's a fucking great show. A total must watch.
Oct. 2, 2012, 1:38 p.m. CST
by The Infamous Billy The Kidd
No Starz in the Kidd household, but I will look into it once I clear out some room on my TV queue.
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 123 total posts 123 posts
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 341 total posts 47 posts
- Another Talented Filmmaker Joins The DOCTOR STRANGE Directin' Derby! -- 44 total posts 44 posts