LOOPER's Director Tells Monty Cristo About Deleted Scenes on the Blu-ray!
"Monty Cristo" here once again.
I had the pleasure of talking with LOOPER director Rian Johnson on my podcast "Screen Time" yesterday afternoon (here's an iTunes subscription link if that's your thing), and he mentioned that the LOOPER Blu-ray will feature around 45 minutes of cut scenes.
He noted to me the other day that the cut in theaters is his final, perferred cut, and that we should not expect some sort of Extended Ultra-Mega-Super Cut.
The brief mention of the Deleted Scenes occurred in a spoiler-laden "After Dark" episode I'm posting later this weekend , but the above-linked main show is required listening, as he gets into what it was like producing this independent with a huge scale and big stars, as well as his big influences both for this film and across his entire career.
There's a pile of other stuff frontloaded in the episode, so if you want to skip to the interview with Johnson, it begins at about 24:30.
I look forward to you guys tearing me apart and saying how shitty my show is in the Talkbacks.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 28, 2012, 5:21 p.m. CST
First, so allow me to say... ARSE WOMBLES
Sept. 28, 2012, 5:33 p.m. CST
The brief mention of the Deleted Scenes occurred in a spoiler-laden "After Dark" episode I'm posting later this weekend..
So this entire article is a cock tease?
Sept. 28, 2012, 5:46 p.m. CST
What a shitty show. Someone far brighter than myself should tear you apart. ;-)
Sept. 28, 2012, 5:55 p.m. CST
I liked Jeff Daniel's relationship with his lackey the most, which may have been his younger self (hinted at, not really a spoiler). Lots of missed opportunities for mind-bending, character-building exchanges between Gordon-Levitt and Willis, just sort of grazed over in their diner meeting. JGL's painted-on eyebrows and eyeliner were a distraction throughout. The look remained too unusual and, for all the the effort, had only minor resemblance to Willis. SPOILERS: Solid opening, but noir-like narration wasn't really needed, and didn't make sense considering that older and younger Looper are eliminated from the primary timeline. The action beats at the end with Willis blowing everyone away, the flying motorbike faceoff, and the AKIRA kid floating people felt like a tacked on climax, and much of the dialog (while professionally delivered with coolness and/or meaning) didn't say much. What I did like was the ending implying that, by erasing the later instances of himself from time, the Looper helped evolve the world in a way, but SOURCE CODE did that better, IMO. Still, it was engaging and better than average.
Sept. 28, 2012, 6:01 p.m. CST
by Monty Cristo
You could put it that way, but I intentionally waited to post that piece because it's full of spoilers. The news info is as briefly mentioned as I report it up there. That's the extent of the info regarding this specific bit of news, so in a manner of speaking, you unwittingly got a quickie handjob than a cocktease.
Sept. 28, 2012, 6:36 p.m. CST
Topical anesthesia + no happy ending == Worst handjob ever.
Sept. 28, 2012, 6:53 p.m. CST
You know...here on THIS website?
Sept. 28, 2012, 7:11 p.m. CST
by Monty Cristo
He didn't detail them beyond that.
Sept. 28, 2012, 7:30 p.m. CST
The gun stuff is very American John Woo, with professionals missing way way way too often, and all of the action undermines credibility. There was a lot of smarts at work here, but only selectively, which is more infuriating than seeing a well done dumb movie. The makeup only works in one scene, when Levitt is seated across from Daniels. For 2min, he really does seem something like a young Willis, with something of the appropriate smirk. The little kid is just phenomenal, there's no disputing that. (see I promised myself to put a good spin on the experience.)
Sept. 28, 2012, 7:41 p.m. CST
Of failed writers with time-travel scripts in their top drawers that will never be read let alone made into films. You guys are so transparent. LOOPER is one of the best films I have seen all year and certainly better than anything ever written by jealous talkbackers.
Sept. 28, 2012, 8:15 p.m. CST
my top drawer has a circa 1998 scream sequel, batman 5, Trek TNG and some rough outlines for a fantasy novel trilogy and some beyond bad rom coms.. not a single time travel script thank you. lol.. seriously tho.. so looking forward to this but its sadly not playing here. next weekend.. knock on wood.
Sept. 28, 2012, 8:36 p.m. CST
Your review of the reviews here speaks volumes in your inability to analyze, discern or otherwise vocalize a valid opinion beyond *one of the best films I have seen*, which isn't worth the ASCII text committed to it. If you are transparently jealous of people who can succinctly speak their mind, try not to draw attention to that failure so predictably and boringly!
Sept. 28, 2012, 9:11 p.m. CST
but I shelved it when 12 MONKEYS came out, because that excellent film actually eclipsed the main aspect of my story with just a throwaway line of dialog. When something has already been done well, only a studio exec is going to want to do more and inferior versions of same. But I can tell you that half of my pitches to TNG (some of which were dug by Ron Moore, but dismissed by Jeri Taylor, which I take retroactively as a compliment) absolutely SMOKED that thing passing for a TREK movie vomited up by Abrams a few years back. Feel free to dispute w/o information to back it up and print whatever legends you like about people you don't know (the internet was probably founded by people who couldn't have understood THE MAN WHO WHOT LIBERTY VALANCE even if they managed to watch all of it), but count on more 'feedback' than you can swallow unless you have a deep deep throat.
Sept. 28, 2012, 9:59 p.m. CST
This only came out today and we're already onto deleted scenes.
Sept. 28, 2012, 11:42 p.m. CST
Sept. 29, 2012, 12:56 a.m. CST
Sept. 29, 2012, 9:32 p.m. CST
Sept. 29, 2012, 11:28 p.m. CST
...tied with BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD. I'm not going to download some podcast to listen to a description of a youtube video that contains the URL of a tumblr that has a flash animation that tells about deleted scenes, but damn was Looper good. rebeck2 is right on re: angry wannabes. "The studios didn't respond to my e-mailed script for a gender-swapped time-travel Buffy reboot!! Fuck the system!!"
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 87 total posts 83 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 425 total posts 12 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 725 total posts 11 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 31 total posts 6 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 54 total posts 4 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 570 total posts 3 posts