Herc’s Seen ABC’s New
A sitcom about a human family that accidentally moves into a gated community otherwise populated by stranded and disguised extraterrestrials, “The Neighbors” comes to us from screenwriter Dan Fogelman, whose big-screen credits include “Cars,” “Fred Claus,” “Bolt,” “Tangled,” “Cars 2” and “Crazy Stupid Love.”
This is a very silly show, sillier even than “My Favorite Martian,” “Mork & Mindy,” “ALF” and “Third Rock From The Sun.”
Lenny Venito, who portrayed Squatch Squacieri on “Knights of Prosperity” and Murmur Zancone on “The Sopranos,” plays the head of human family, Marty Weaver, and his timing cracks me up.
… particularly junky, not merely relying on lowest-common-denominator humor but doing it clumsily. …
... enjoyable if not impressive — not bad, and almost good. The jokes won't knock you off your feet, but the players do some nice things around them. …
... one of the new season's biggest surprises. That isn't to say it's good, because it isn't. What's surprising about it is that something like this could be an ABC show, the network that gave us "The Middle" and "Modern Family," to name two of the best sitcoms on TV these days. …
... what redeems“The Neighbors” is that it’s not confused about what it wants to be — or the sort of fun it wants to have. …
... Although “The Neighbors” won’t be mistaken for the next great American sitcom, it’s entertaining enough to warrant a neighborly welcome to prime time. …
… Grade: B. … In its goofiest moments, the show has a gentle Tim Burton vibe. It’s sure to build a cult following, but it seems more suited to a cable network such as TBS or Syfy.
... ABC's The Neighbors is this season's awful sitcom, the one that defies all kind of sense.…
... Nothing in The Neighbors rises above mediocrity, and too much falls beneath it. …
If only "The Neighbors," ABC's stab at an aliens-among-us comedy, were a bit more like "Galaxy Quest," and less like an extended "Coneheads" sketch. …
9:30 p.m. Wednesday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:15 p.m. CST
not funny at all...the whole lame skit with the neighbors giving out fake names like Larry Bird and Dick Butkus was painfully bad...first Fall show to be cancelled...even Mob Doctor looks better then this
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:15 p.m. CST
Yep, looks silly but it might still be mindless fun
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:33 p.m. CST
..street of.. aliens! Human family moves in. WHITE human family. With a.. slightly tubby dad. <p> SOLD. What are the aliens like? <p> Who gives a fuck, right? <p> Ha. That's the spirit kid. You'll go far in this town. Suck my balls.
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:49 p.m. CST
THe preview I saw mad was so bad, The Coneheads looks like Shakespeare compared to this - great premise, but horrible execution...
by Michael Lunney
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:16 p.m. CST
I'll be surprised if it nets three episodes before it's yanked. The ratings are going to be armageddon-bad.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:25 p.m. CST
And it was played straight? Was that called The Gates or something? Lasted half a season.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:32 p.m. CST
I like the quote from Variety, *If only "The Neighbors," ABC's stab at an aliens-among-us comedy, were a bit more like "Galaxy Quest," and less like an extended "Coneheads" sketch.*
Why not just make a Galaxy Quest TV show? They could probably get Tim Allen to do it too.
Sept. 27, 2012, 12:40 a.m. CST
Sept. 27, 2012, 9:22 a.m. CST
I heard Jamie has a master/slave relationship with her agent, who gets her these roles to humiliate her as part of their twisted sexual play.
No I didn't.
Sept. 27, 2012, 9:26 a.m. CST
NOTE THE SCALY GREEN LOOK OF THEIR TRUE FLESHFORMS; THIS IS TO SLOWLY ADJUST OUR PERCEPTIONS UNTIL THEY CAN EMERGE AS OUR TRUE RULERS. BOYCOTT ''THE NEIGHBORS''; DON'T LET ABC PROGRAM YOUR CHILDREN.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:11 p.m. CST
...but I don't know if it holds up to rewatching, because it's never been released on DVD.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:58 p.m. CST
hasn't been released on DVD, seeing as how famous Sofía Vergara has become thanks to "Modern Family". Maybe they were waiting for her to win an Emmy so they could market it as "starring Emmy winner, Sofía Vergara" (like what they did with the "Roswell" re-release).
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:06 p.m. CST
Looks like shit. Cancelled in 7 episodes.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 685 total posts 62 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 406 total posts 40 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 43 total posts 26 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 360 total posts 13 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts