Herc’s Seen ABC’s New
A sitcom about a human family that accidentally moves into a gated community otherwise populated by stranded and disguised extraterrestrials, “The Neighbors” comes to us from screenwriter Dan Fogelman, whose big-screen credits include “Cars,” “Fred Claus,” “Bolt,” “Tangled,” “Cars 2” and “Crazy Stupid Love.”
This is a very silly show, sillier even than “My Favorite Martian,” “Mork & Mindy,” “ALF” and “Third Rock From The Sun.”
Lenny Venito, who portrayed Squatch Squacieri on “Knights of Prosperity” and Murmur Zancone on “The Sopranos,” plays the head of human family, Marty Weaver, and his timing cracks me up.
… particularly junky, not merely relying on lowest-common-denominator humor but doing it clumsily. …
... enjoyable if not impressive — not bad, and almost good. The jokes won't knock you off your feet, but the players do some nice things around them. …
... one of the new season's biggest surprises. That isn't to say it's good, because it isn't. What's surprising about it is that something like this could be an ABC show, the network that gave us "The Middle" and "Modern Family," to name two of the best sitcoms on TV these days. …
... what redeems“The Neighbors” is that it’s not confused about what it wants to be — or the sort of fun it wants to have. …
... Although “The Neighbors” won’t be mistaken for the next great American sitcom, it’s entertaining enough to warrant a neighborly welcome to prime time. …
… Grade: B. … In its goofiest moments, the show has a gentle Tim Burton vibe. It’s sure to build a cult following, but it seems more suited to a cable network such as TBS or Syfy.
... ABC's The Neighbors is this season's awful sitcom, the one that defies all kind of sense.…
... Nothing in The Neighbors rises above mediocrity, and too much falls beneath it. …
If only "The Neighbors," ABC's stab at an aliens-among-us comedy, were a bit more like "Galaxy Quest," and less like an extended "Coneheads" sketch. …
9:30 p.m. Wednesday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:15 p.m. CST
not funny at all...the whole lame skit with the neighbors giving out fake names like Larry Bird and Dick Butkus was painfully bad...first Fall show to be cancelled...even Mob Doctor looks better then this
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:15 p.m. CST
Yep, looks silly but it might still be mindless fun
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:33 p.m. CST
..street of.. aliens! Human family moves in. WHITE human family. With a.. slightly tubby dad. <p> SOLD. What are the aliens like? <p> Who gives a fuck, right? <p> Ha. That's the spirit kid. You'll go far in this town. Suck my balls.
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:49 p.m. CST
THe preview I saw mad was so bad, The Coneheads looks like Shakespeare compared to this - great premise, but horrible execution...
by Michael Lunney
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:16 p.m. CST
I'll be surprised if it nets three episodes before it's yanked. The ratings are going to be armageddon-bad.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:25 p.m. CST
And it was played straight? Was that called The Gates or something? Lasted half a season.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:32 p.m. CST
I like the quote from Variety, *If only "The Neighbors," ABC's stab at an aliens-among-us comedy, were a bit more like "Galaxy Quest," and less like an extended "Coneheads" sketch.*
Why not just make a Galaxy Quest TV show? They could probably get Tim Allen to do it too.
Sept. 27, 2012, 12:40 a.m. CST
Sept. 27, 2012, 9:22 a.m. CST
I heard Jamie has a master/slave relationship with her agent, who gets her these roles to humiliate her as part of their twisted sexual play.
No I didn't.
Sept. 27, 2012, 9:26 a.m. CST
NOTE THE SCALY GREEN LOOK OF THEIR TRUE FLESHFORMS; THIS IS TO SLOWLY ADJUST OUR PERCEPTIONS UNTIL THEY CAN EMERGE AS OUR TRUE RULERS. BOYCOTT ''THE NEIGHBORS''; DON'T LET ABC PROGRAM YOUR CHILDREN.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:11 p.m. CST
...but I don't know if it holds up to rewatching, because it's never been released on DVD.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:58 p.m. CST
hasn't been released on DVD, seeing as how famous Sofía Vergara has become thanks to "Modern Family". Maybe they were waiting for her to win an Emmy so they could market it as "starring Emmy winner, Sofía Vergara" (like what they did with the "Roswell" re-release).
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:06 p.m. CST
Looks like shit. Cancelled in 7 episodes.
- Evangeline Lilly Instagrams Her ANT-MAN Look!! -- 252 total posts 252 posts
- So, What Is This BATMAN v SUPERMAN Prop Newspaper Showing Us?? [MILD SPOILER] -- 166 total posts 166 posts
- Superman gets a new costume for BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 281 total posts 148 posts
- Shane Black to bring Remo Williams back to the big screen in THE DESTROYER! -- 132 total posts 132 posts
- Check Out this Awesome Trailer for AUTOMATA - Antonio Banderas and Robots! -- 139 total posts 132 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 333 total posts 95 posts
- Harry Potter spinoff FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM to be directed by someone...who's directed Harry Potter movies! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 85 total posts 85 posts
- Check out a description for the first trailer for Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL EIGHT! -- 126 total posts 82 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 76 total posts 76 posts