Herc’s Seen ABC’s New
A sitcom about a human family that accidentally moves into a gated community otherwise populated by stranded and disguised extraterrestrials, “The Neighbors” comes to us from screenwriter Dan Fogelman, whose big-screen credits include “Cars,” “Fred Claus,” “Bolt,” “Tangled,” “Cars 2” and “Crazy Stupid Love.”
This is a very silly show, sillier even than “My Favorite Martian,” “Mork & Mindy,” “ALF” and “Third Rock From The Sun.”
Lenny Venito, who portrayed Squatch Squacieri on “Knights of Prosperity” and Murmur Zancone on “The Sopranos,” plays the head of human family, Marty Weaver, and his timing cracks me up.
… particularly junky, not merely relying on lowest-common-denominator humor but doing it clumsily. …
... enjoyable if not impressive — not bad, and almost good. The jokes won't knock you off your feet, but the players do some nice things around them. …
... one of the new season's biggest surprises. That isn't to say it's good, because it isn't. What's surprising about it is that something like this could be an ABC show, the network that gave us "The Middle" and "Modern Family," to name two of the best sitcoms on TV these days. …
... what redeems“The Neighbors” is that it’s not confused about what it wants to be — or the sort of fun it wants to have. …
... Although “The Neighbors” won’t be mistaken for the next great American sitcom, it’s entertaining enough to warrant a neighborly welcome to prime time. …
… Grade: B. … In its goofiest moments, the show has a gentle Tim Burton vibe. It’s sure to build a cult following, but it seems more suited to a cable network such as TBS or Syfy.
... ABC's The Neighbors is this season's awful sitcom, the one that defies all kind of sense.…
... Nothing in The Neighbors rises above mediocrity, and too much falls beneath it. …
If only "The Neighbors," ABC's stab at an aliens-among-us comedy, were a bit more like "Galaxy Quest," and less like an extended "Coneheads" sketch. …
9:30 p.m. Wednesday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:15 p.m. CST
not funny at all...the whole lame skit with the neighbors giving out fake names like Larry Bird and Dick Butkus was painfully bad...first Fall show to be cancelled...even Mob Doctor looks better then this
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:15 p.m. CST
Yep, looks silly but it might still be mindless fun
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:33 p.m. CST
..street of.. aliens! Human family moves in. WHITE human family. With a.. slightly tubby dad. <p> SOLD. What are the aliens like? <p> Who gives a fuck, right? <p> Ha. That's the spirit kid. You'll go far in this town. Suck my balls.
Sept. 26, 2012, 5:49 p.m. CST
THe preview I saw mad was so bad, The Coneheads looks like Shakespeare compared to this - great premise, but horrible execution...
by Michael Lunney
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:16 p.m. CST
I'll be surprised if it nets three episodes before it's yanked. The ratings are going to be armageddon-bad.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:25 p.m. CST
And it was played straight? Was that called The Gates or something? Lasted half a season.
Sept. 26, 2012, 8:32 p.m. CST
I like the quote from Variety, *If only "The Neighbors," ABC's stab at an aliens-among-us comedy, were a bit more like "Galaxy Quest," and less like an extended "Coneheads" sketch.*
Why not just make a Galaxy Quest TV show? They could probably get Tim Allen to do it too.
Sept. 27, 2012, 12:40 a.m. CST
Sept. 27, 2012, 9:22 a.m. CST
I heard Jamie has a master/slave relationship with her agent, who gets her these roles to humiliate her as part of their twisted sexual play.
No I didn't.
Sept. 27, 2012, 9:26 a.m. CST
NOTE THE SCALY GREEN LOOK OF THEIR TRUE FLESHFORMS; THIS IS TO SLOWLY ADJUST OUR PERCEPTIONS UNTIL THEY CAN EMERGE AS OUR TRUE RULERS. BOYCOTT ''THE NEIGHBORS''; DON'T LET ABC PROGRAM YOUR CHILDREN.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:11 p.m. CST
...but I don't know if it holds up to rewatching, because it's never been released on DVD.
Sept. 27, 2012, 2:58 p.m. CST
hasn't been released on DVD, seeing as how famous Sofía Vergara has become thanks to "Modern Family". Maybe they were waiting for her to win an Emmy so they could market it as "starring Emmy winner, Sofía Vergara" (like what they did with the "Roswell" re-release).
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:06 p.m. CST
Looks like shit. Cancelled in 7 episodes.
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 222 total posts 143 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 310 total posts 54 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 65 total posts 45 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 291 total posts 43 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 386 total posts 29 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 152 total posts 24 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 41 total posts 19 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 128 total posts 17 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 25 total posts 15 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 34 total posts 12 posts