Nordling On CRAVE! Fantastic Fest 2012!
You are familiar with the work of Charles de Lauzirika, even if you don’t know it. Lauzirika created the great documentaries that made up the BLADE RUNNER Blu-Ray set, the ALIEN Anthology, and many others. Now, with CRAVE, Lauzirika has created his first narrative feature-length film, and it is a gritty, cerebral thriller with a protagonist straight out of the family tree of loner characters like Travis Bickle or Gene Hackman’s Harry Caul – men tainted and damaged by their experiences.
Anyone who has seen those movies probably has some idea where CRAVE is headed, but what makes CRAVE so fascinating is the performance of Josh Lawson as Aiden, a crime scene photographer who starts to feel “divergent” as each brutal murder takes its toll on his sanity and well-being. Lawson plays Aiden very much like an Everyman – he has an earnest face that gives the audience a strange disconnect as the movie unfolds and Aiden becomes more detached from reality. Aiden has a vivid fantasy life where he sees himself in hero mode, and the only seemingly stable relationship in his life is with Pete (Ron Perlman), the police officer who gives him access to each crime scene.
Aiden also has a neighbor, Virginia (Emma Lung), who seems to be in mid-breakup with Ravi (Edward Furlong) and manages to strike up a serious relationship with her. But as Aiden’s disconnect becomes more apparent and his fantasy world starts to bleed into his reality, he threatens to become a danger to himself and those around him.
CRAVE has a very striking visual style but it’s Lauzirika’s skills as a director that really shine through. He has a real affinity with his actors and it shows in the performances. Even as Aiden goes deeper into the rabbit hole, Lawson and Lauzirika refuse to distance us from his character even as Aiden distances himself from society. This can make the audience feel uncomfortable and almost complicit in the goings-on. Lawson has a very expressive and almost wholesome face which makes for an interesting dichotomy for what happens onscreen. If there are issues with the movie it lies in the pacing – as this is a character piece events unfold at a leisurely pace at times but Aiden’s difficulty in relating to society becomes more pronounced as the movie goes on.
Although Lauzirika has done a lot of work behind the scenes, this is his first narrative feature film, and it is directed with a confidence and skill of an experienced hand, balancing the character issues deftly with the plot. CRAVE is a remarkable first film and we should expect to see some interesting filmwork in Charles de Lauzirika’s future. CRAVE doesn’t quite go to the seedy levels of depravity like Paul Schrader’s work, but that’s what makes the movie work – as Travis Bickle becomes more unhinged the audience becomes more of an observer, but CRAVE doesn’t give us that luxury, and Lawson and Lauzirika make us partners-in-crime to events as they unfold. It makes for uncomfortable but rewarding viewing, and CRAVE gets under the skin in the way the best character movies do.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 25, 2012, 1:08 p.m. CST
Poor aul Furlong only gets a nanosecond appearance in the trailer. Definitely wanna see this though..
by Baron Von Penguin
Sept. 26, 2012, 10:42 a.m. CST
by albert comin
The way he mannaged to extract great interviews in all of his DVD documentaries is a testement to how well he handles people. Ad all his documentaries were fantastic to watch. His documentary for "Blade Runner" is a masterpiece of making of docs. It's the one that every making of docs want to be when they grew up. And now he's feature lengh filmmaker. This is great news. Can't wait to have the oportunity to watch this movie. Seems he's starting on the right foot. It's always great to discover new emerging talents and Charles de Lauzirika looks to be one such. One to watch for.
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 302 total posts 302 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 194 total posts 194 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 366 total posts 139 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 294 total posts 110 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 320 total posts 74 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 126 total posts 73 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts