Nordling On CRAVE! Fantastic Fest 2012!
You are familiar with the work of Charles de Lauzirika, even if you don’t know it. Lauzirika created the great documentaries that made up the BLADE RUNNER Blu-Ray set, the ALIEN Anthology, and many others. Now, with CRAVE, Lauzirika has created his first narrative feature-length film, and it is a gritty, cerebral thriller with a protagonist straight out of the family tree of loner characters like Travis Bickle or Gene Hackman’s Harry Caul – men tainted and damaged by their experiences.
Anyone who has seen those movies probably has some idea where CRAVE is headed, but what makes CRAVE so fascinating is the performance of Josh Lawson as Aiden, a crime scene photographer who starts to feel “divergent” as each brutal murder takes its toll on his sanity and well-being. Lawson plays Aiden very much like an Everyman – he has an earnest face that gives the audience a strange disconnect as the movie unfolds and Aiden becomes more detached from reality. Aiden has a vivid fantasy life where he sees himself in hero mode, and the only seemingly stable relationship in his life is with Pete (Ron Perlman), the police officer who gives him access to each crime scene.
Aiden also has a neighbor, Virginia (Emma Lung), who seems to be in mid-breakup with Ravi (Edward Furlong) and manages to strike up a serious relationship with her. But as Aiden’s disconnect becomes more apparent and his fantasy world starts to bleed into his reality, he threatens to become a danger to himself and those around him.
CRAVE has a very striking visual style but it’s Lauzirika’s skills as a director that really shine through. He has a real affinity with his actors and it shows in the performances. Even as Aiden goes deeper into the rabbit hole, Lawson and Lauzirika refuse to distance us from his character even as Aiden distances himself from society. This can make the audience feel uncomfortable and almost complicit in the goings-on. Lawson has a very expressive and almost wholesome face which makes for an interesting dichotomy for what happens onscreen. If there are issues with the movie it lies in the pacing – as this is a character piece events unfold at a leisurely pace at times but Aiden’s difficulty in relating to society becomes more pronounced as the movie goes on.
Although Lauzirika has done a lot of work behind the scenes, this is his first narrative feature film, and it is directed with a confidence and skill of an experienced hand, balancing the character issues deftly with the plot. CRAVE is a remarkable first film and we should expect to see some interesting filmwork in Charles de Lauzirika’s future. CRAVE doesn’t quite go to the seedy levels of depravity like Paul Schrader’s work, but that’s what makes the movie work – as Travis Bickle becomes more unhinged the audience becomes more of an observer, but CRAVE doesn’t give us that luxury, and Lawson and Lauzirika make us partners-in-crime to events as they unfold. It makes for uncomfortable but rewarding viewing, and CRAVE gets under the skin in the way the best character movies do.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 25, 2012, 1:08 p.m. CST
Poor aul Furlong only gets a nanosecond appearance in the trailer. Definitely wanna see this though..
by Baron Von Penguin
Sept. 26, 2012, 10:42 a.m. CST
by albert comin
The way he mannaged to extract great interviews in all of his DVD documentaries is a testement to how well he handles people. Ad all his documentaries were fantastic to watch. His documentary for "Blade Runner" is a masterpiece of making of docs. It's the one that every making of docs want to be when they grew up. And now he's feature lengh filmmaker. This is great news. Can't wait to have the oportunity to watch this movie. Seems he's starting on the right foot. It's always great to discover new emerging talents and Charles de Lauzirika looks to be one such. One to watch for.
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 50 total posts 25 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 534 total posts 11 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 51 total posts 7 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 163 total posts 6 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 145 total posts 2 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 22 total posts 2 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 204 total posts 1 post
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 6 total posts 1 post
THE LATE SHOW WITH
1993-2015 -- 425 total posts 1 post