THE CONSPIRACY has Muldoon checking his back at every turn!
Before anything: I've written this review once already, but seriously think the powers that be have "conspired" (Bazinga!) against me and somehow froze my computer as it was getting posted the first time..
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here chiming in from Fantastic Fest down in Austin, Texas. I was fortunate enough to catch a pretty badass movie last night and while I saw Nordling's thoughts and can absolutely see where he's coming from, I flat out enjoyed every bit of it. Seriously, the film taps into some rather off limits stuff, so if the terms "Illuminati," "Bohemian Grove," or "New World Order” seem to peak your interest – then BAM! Get your ass to see this movie.
Seriously, the film’s great. Director Christopher MacBride has built quite the rollercoaster of a found footage flick. And while that last sentence feels a little dirty to type since “found footage” seems to get a bad rep, this flick is one of the few that really, truly feels right. I can’t imagine this film being anywhere near as effective had it been shot more traditionally. If by chance you’ve seen the Alex Jones Bohemian Grove hidden camera video where a real dude snuck into the Bohemian Grove shindig, then the whole idea of found footage/shaky cam kind of works in this flick when it’s used, which really isn’t all that much (just towards the end). Honestly, if you’ve seen Mitchell and Webb’s PEEP SHOW, you’ll be more than prepared for this one (and if not, fear not – it’s not as abstract as you might believe).
The film focuses on two documentary filmmakers played by James Gilbert and Aaron Poole who are shooting a rough doc highlighting a local nutcase, “Terrence R” who spends his days shouting out wacky theories at folks or clipping articles from newspapers and pinning them to his wall. When Terrence goes missing, the two filmmakers start to think there might be some validity to some of the more bizarre claims of Terrence. One starts to back off while the other can’t help but dig deeper.
I’m not giving much else away in terms of scene per scene or play by play, so look to a different review for that. All I can tell you is, much like a roller coaster, this flick is worth the wait in line/price of admission and it’s more fun when you don’t know how many “loops” are ahead of you when you first strap in. Would I pay to see this film in theaters? Yes. Would I bring a lovely date with me, knowing she’d hop out of her chair time after time? Yes. Is this something new that might help elevate the “found footage/shaky cam” genre? Yep.
This movie is thoroughly enjoyable and if you’re at all interested in those things I listed above, then this is your movie. Seriously, give it a go – you won’t be disappointed. It’s awesome!
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:21 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:23 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:35 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:35 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:52 p.m. CST
Is there a difference? This seems to be the former, if only because it's explicitly presented as a (fake) documentary.
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:56 p.m. CST
Unfamiliar with telefilm. Just because I'm too lazy to look it up myself, and because youbrought it up, why the "ugh?"
Sept. 23, 2012, 9:58 p.m. CST
by la te ral us
Sept. 23, 2012, 10:10 p.m. CST
Is there overuse of "seriously" some type of in-joke or plot element? Because otherwise it's seriously annoying.
Sept. 23, 2012, 10:34 p.m. CST
@dancetothebeatofthelivingdead: Government funding of projects destined for television to fulfil *cultural content* regulations.
Sept. 23, 2012, 10:39 p.m. CST
... Who the fuck is Muldoon?
Sept. 23, 2012, 10:41 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2012, 10:56 p.m. CST
Sounds conspiratorial. Ha Ha. Ok, that was lame. Anyway, thanks for the explanation
Sept. 24, 2012, 4:55 a.m. CST
... IS PART OF THE CONSPIRACY!!! (*what a twist!*)
Sept. 24, 2012, 7:58 a.m. CST
This movie looks intriguing. When I used to work the overnight shift as a security guard I would listen to Art Bell every night and whip myself into a frenzy over these theories.
Sept. 24, 2012, 9:09 a.m. CST
reminds me an awful lot of Foucaults Pendulum by Roberto Eco...mixed with a side of Art Bell.... I miss Art...though I still listen to Coast to Coast with George Noory....
Sept. 24, 2012, 9:52 a.m. CST
this was the dumbest shit i've seen today. world-wide conspiracy, blah blah, deranged and stupid.
Sept. 24, 2012, 12:49 p.m. CST
...classic brainwashed response. You know flouride has made you stupid, totally by design. Ignorance is bliss...enjoy it.
Sept. 24, 2012, 3:51 p.m. CST
oooh you're one of those anti-Fluorides morons. the fact you believe in pseudo-science only proves all the more you're a fucking idiot. it's not ignorance, it's the ability not to fall hook line and sinker for bullshit conspiracy dumb as fuck theories. jesus, you're a fucking idiot.
Sept. 24, 2012, 9:10 p.m. CST
I used to work for a medical supply distributor. One of the products we sold were cases of vials containing sodium fluoride used in laboratory testing. These cases of sodium fluoride, the same sodium fluoride put into your drinking water, were required by law to have a safety label attached to it. That label had on it a picture of a skull and crossbones, the international symbol of poison. In fact if your read the back of your sodium fluoride toothpaste you will see the warning to call a poison control center if you or a child ingests the stuff. If you want to put poison into your own body that's your business but don't get angry at someone who does not. It makes you look like a large type asshole that can't think for himself and believes what proven liars, thieves, and murders say instead of his own eyes.
Sept. 25, 2012, 1:17 p.m. CST
was that it lead me to a youtube video of a dog peeing on an electric fence.
Sept. 27, 2012, 10:19 a.m. CST
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 140 total posts 136 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 726 total posts 12 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Capone talks love among the ages with LOVE IS STRANGE director & co-writer Ira Sachs!!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts