John Ary On THE COLLECTION! Fantastic Fest 2012!
John Ary here from Fantastic Fest 2012 with a look at The Collection, a sequel to 2009's The Collector. I've never really followed director Marcus Dunstan's work closely, considering that I'm not a fan of the later Saw films he wrote with his partner Patrick Melton. From the Q&A after the movie screened, it sounds like The Collection is the Aliens to The Collector's Alien... more action, less horror. I think I may need to go back to watch the original.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 23, 2012, 12:56 p.m. CST
Sept. 23, 2012, 1:12 p.m. CST
by Baron Von Penguin
Sept. 23, 2012, 3:04 p.m. CST
by Bouncy X
the first movie wasn't some hit that everyone saw or least knew about, most people have no idea that first movie even exists. so those same people won't have any idea this is a sequel to anything. sure they can argue "the fans will know" but having 2% of the audience isn't a good thing. even the trailers dont make that obvious. sure those who saw the first might remember that returning guy but how many trailers feature someone "returning" to face something from the past even when its an original storyline? maybe this will help and the movie will do better because of everything i said but it just seems like an odd move for such a low budget horror movie. this isn't a knock against it, it looks alright and all. but i saw the first movie once and literally remember nothing from it.
Sept. 23, 2012, 4:22 p.m. CST
They specifically want to distance it from the first film because that one bombed. Call it Collector 2 and you're fucked from a marketing standpoint
This way they can (hopefully) pick up new fans with a better distribution set up, easier genre hook and significantly larger budget.
Sept. 23, 2012, 5 p.m. CST
by Judge Briggs
I loved the first one ... will certainly check out the sequel.
Sept. 23, 2012, 6:29 p.m. CST
good to see him get some work thats not on HBO.....
Sept. 23, 2012, 10:47 p.m. CST
Sept. 24, 2012, 8:26 a.m. CST
I didn't know anything about it when I saw it, so had no expectations, but I very much enjoyed it and thought of the concept of *Spoilerish comments below* sealing a family into their own home whilst they are sleeping and converting it into a hostile environment with an assortment of vicious booby-traps was quite a fresh new take on the slasher-type horror story. *End of spoilerish comments* The film itself was entertaining with a decent blend of tension and gore. The new title for the sequel works well only if you already understand it's related to the original (I certainly wouldn't have guessed!). I look forward to seeing the sequel!
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 79 total posts 77 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 83 total posts 57 posts
- From The Director Of GRAVITY!! The First Two Minutes Of NBC And Bad Robot’s BELIEVE!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 145 total posts 41 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 182 total posts 40 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 65 total posts 39 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 61 total posts 36 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts