Britgeek Announces THE CONVENT!!
I'm always looking for UK indies to support here on AICN, and yes, like I have always said, that means I'm more than happy for any film-makers reading this to get in touch with me about their project
Part of the reason why I write for AICN is to give home-grown movies international exposure while not discriminating against the likes of budgets. It's a tough industry, especially here in the UK, and if I can help in getting the name of your project out there, then just drop me an email.
One such British indie has just commenced principal photography this week. Writer/director Mark Murphy's debut feature THE CONVENT, a horror film that blends the modern fizz of found footage with a more classic supernatural horror element, is shooting in London for the next three weeks. Murphy's 2007 docu-drama CASANOVA'S LAST STAND starred Patrick Bergin and Armand Assante.
Here's the official synopsis:
THE CONVENT tells two interconnecting stories played out in parallel, intercutting with each other. The first story follows five twenty somethings, who, on the hunt for some excitement, break into an abandoned church/convent only to become the victims of the horrors that lurk within.
The second story follows the church's investigation into the tragic 'accident' that resulted in the deaths of the group that broke into the church.
The film is produced by Yvette Hoyle and stars Nicola Posener (PAYBACK SEASON), Mark Harris (GBH), Peter Woodward (THE FALL OF THE ESSEX BOYS), Natalie Stone (WEREWOLF IN A WOMAN'S PRISON) and Lucy Drive (THE BORGIAS).
Murphy commented, “Marrying the 'found footage' genre with a more traditional theatrical style into two inter-lapping stories, is one that I am sure audiences will get excited about. When your high concept is Paranormal Activity meets Blair Witch meets The Exorcist, you know the opportunity to tell a great horror yarn is there for the taking.”
And here are a couple of world exclusive stills!
Follow me on Twitter!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:39 a.m. CST
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:41 a.m. CST
Sept. 19, 2012, 9:53 a.m. CST
Lame and derivative though it may be.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:23 a.m. CST
LIKE UTTER SHIT !
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:41 a.m. CST
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:43 a.m. CST
Good on you for promoting this stuff! It looks derivative and safe, but I am all for British artists getting a helping hand and I fully support any actress who has appeared in a film titled "Werewolves in a Woman's Prison". Now that sounds AMAZING! I can just imagine her agent selling her that role: Agent: "It's like...urrr...prison. But for women. And there are werewolves in it. What's not to love? Think 'Porridge' meets Taylor Lautner. Only with...urrr...more women. Probably the same level of acting ability though..."
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:50 a.m. CST
Dude, thee are flashlights in this movie! I'm so totally sold on it now.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:52 a.m. CST
This looks like utter shit. Could the story be any more tired and overused?
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:53 a.m. CST
by Baron Von Penguin
of small time movies I've picked up off this website never ceases to amaze me. I love horror and the AICN Horror posts in particular have been vital. Keep up the good work despite what most of the cunts above said. Most of these young go-getters probably spend their day online looking for shit to put down between bouts of wanking and eating..
Sept. 19, 2012, 11:10 a.m. CST
why be a criminal?
Sept. 19, 2012, 11:29 a.m. CST
by paul burnett
WWWHHHOOOOOOO! ACTING RULES!!! ahem..
Sept. 19, 2012, 11:50 a.m. CST
by Adam Pescott
I've read the script and it works out a lot better on paper with a good little snare at the end. Going for atmosphere and tension rather than cheap thrills. Not seen the Mendez Convent - but I saw the trailer, looked awful!
There's a background story - a dingy history to the place.
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:10 p.m. CST
Sept. 19, 2012, 12:41 p.m. CST
I would not trumpet those as WORLD EXCLUSIVE STILLS but as just stills. It's just people shining a flashlight in a dark room...
Sept. 19, 2012, 2:25 p.m. CST
by BADBOYBROM HC
Where was your exclusive on that!?!?!?
Sept. 19, 2012, 2:26 p.m. CST
by BADBOYBROM HC
Where was your exclusive on that one!
Sept. 20, 2012, 9:06 a.m. CST
I'd like to see this solely for the way it's being filmed, because that's almost the EXACT same way I pictured House of Leaves: Intertwining Johnny's slow descent into insanity with Navidson's shaky-cam explorations, with Johnny being filmed at a typewriter, in a more traditional style.
Sept. 20, 2012, 10:29 a.m. CST
I mean, why bother making an original film when you can just directly steal the title and synopsis of a cult classic made by a great director? Mr. Murphy should be ashamed of himself. Not cool at all. Here's hoping the immensely talented Mike Mendez sues him. Oh, and he should learn that the term "high concept" has nothing to do with simply naming three other movies. That's not a high concept - that's just a lazy comparison.
Sept. 20, 2012, 10:30 a.m. CST
Sept. 20, 2012, 10:34 a.m. CST
It seems as though you're right about the rip-off. Good to see him getting props - Mendes' The Convent is one of my all-time favorite and really just a great flix all the way around.
Sept. 20, 2012, 10:49 a.m. CST
Hell, the opening five minutes alone are so stylish and atmospheric and original that they'll likely be better than the entirety of this absurd ripoff. Mendez's film is a scary, funny ride that continually takes unexpected turns and supplies both gross-out and laugh-out-loud moments. THE CONVENT was the film that NIGHT OF THE DEMONS wanted to be. Not to mention, it features Adrienne Barbeau kicking serious ass. It's a shame that these hacks are riffing on it. If you're going to steal someone else's story, at least change the name.
Sept. 20, 2012, 11:07 a.m. CST
Nobody will confuse the two, right?
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 274 total posts 138 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 256 total posts 41 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 102 total posts 24 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 55 total posts 17 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 312 total posts 11 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 40 total posts 9 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 7 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 7 total posts 7 posts