Fox Orders Superhero Pilot From HOMELAND Mastermind Howard Gordon And CHRONICLE Screenwriter Max Landis!!
Writer-producer Howard Gordon, the prolific “Homeland” mastermind whose TV credits include “The X-Files,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer,” “Angel,” “24” and “Awake,” wants into the superhero game.
Fox just greenlit to pilot “Vigilant,” which Gordon is producing from a teleplay by “Chronicle” screenwriter Max Landis.
The Hollywood Reporter describes the premise:
The project is described as a "superhero" origin story told through the unlikely point of view of a smart 20-year-old woman who happens to be a social outcast. After an honorable veteran detective is brutally coerced into working for the corrupt head of Internal Affairs, the detective's daughter plans her revenge by creating a fictional vigilante persona to take on the criminal elements within the police department and the city.
With Gordon and Landis in the mix, I suspect this could turn out a lot better than other recent TV-superhero fare like “The Cape” and “No Ordinary Family.”
Find all of the Reporter’s exclusive on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:16 p.m. CST
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:17 p.m. CST
Let us edit our mistakes, man!
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:20 p.m. CST
No doubt meaning a lot of shit we'll never even see - But should be a couple of diamonds in the rough.. This could be one of em.. <p> As soon as Rocket hits the screen - <p> Talking animals will be FUCKING EVERYWHERE
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:25 p.m. CST
The ONE of us that hit the right time/right place and who will now ride his comic book saturated mind to the beds of 20-something wannabes, Obama benefits and an early retirement. <p> Could've been any one of us with talent/skill right time/right place. It was Max Landis. <p> Good on him? <p> Or shall I start printing up Fuck You Max Landis tees?
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:30 p.m. CST
To the time my 2rd favorite ex-girlfriend stopped talking to me. <p> NOTHING from her... <p> ..I just kept on talking..
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:32 p.m. CST
by Rakesh Patel
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:33 p.m. CST
She tasted great and I've still got leftovers in the freezer to see me through like two more winters. <p> BOOM!
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:50 p.m. CST
by Pete Michaelson
That I liked No Ordinary Family. I thought it was generally entertaining and the acting was decent. I recognize that it was too schizophrenic; never finding that balance between dark and heart-warming, but I still enjoyed it.
Sept. 18, 2012, 2:54 p.m. CST
Sept. 18, 2012, 3:44 p.m. CST
Sept. 18, 2012, 3:47 p.m. CST
Sept. 18, 2012, 3:47 p.m. CST
by Bill C.
I give it six weeks.
Sept. 18, 2012, 4:54 p.m. CST
Sorry, but this just doesn't sound terribly intriguing. Especially coming from Landis, whose script for CHRONICLE was generic, by-the-numbers psychic powers and superhero stuff that was only redeemed by the relative novelty of the found footage approach (the film was better directed than written). This just sounds like he's trying to marry a crime drama with a comic book vigilante, and that's old hat. And let's remember that the his last television work consisted of incredibly tepid episodes of MASTERS OF HORROR and FEAR ITSELF>
Sept. 18, 2012, 4:59 p.m. CST
LET US NOT FORGET!!!!!!
Sept. 18, 2012, 5:20 p.m. CST
Sept. 18, 2012, 5:22 p.m. CST
If the show goes to series, maybe we'll get less of Landis' obnoxiously unfunny tweets. Not to mention if he's busy working on a series, various Comicon parties will be spared his screaming "don't you know who I am" tantrums when he's denied entry.
Sept. 18, 2012, 8:04 p.m. CST
by Bass Ackwards
Is that Hollywood Reporter synopsis sarcastic, I can't tell? What is unlikely about the fact that she's a 20 year old girl? And she happens to be a social outcast? Like that's a serendipitous coincidence that's helpful to this plot? Usually someone's friends will talk you out of being a superhero vigilante, but not this girl, she HAPPENED to be an outcast!
Sept. 18, 2012, 9:20 p.m. CST
Sept. 18, 2012, 9:26 p.m. CST
by Raymond Shaw
take on criminal elements?
Sept. 18, 2012, 9:52 p.m. CST
Strike while the iron is hot and stretch himself thin rather than concentrate on the show that put him on top; a decision that will surely lead to sucky 4th and 5th seasons. I can feel a Cop Rock reboot on the horizon
Sept. 18, 2012, 11:15 p.m. CST
And so is Landis.
Sept. 18, 2012, 11:59 p.m. CST
The child of an actor who was beheaded on set due to an irresponsible director.
Sept. 19, 2012, 10:57 a.m. CST
Sept. 19, 2012, 11:34 a.m. CST
What makes her super? Her tits? Does she squirt? Another superhero without powers- fuck that shit...
by Michael Lunney
Sept. 19, 2012, 1:21 p.m. CST
So she's a woman with the power to notice the fuck out of every single little thing? What's her super-power then?
Sept. 19, 2012, 1:57 p.m. CST
Sept. 19, 2012, 3:20 p.m. CST
WHY THE HELL DO NETWORKS KEEP MAKING "ORIGINAL SUPERHERO" CRAP INSTEAD OF EXISTING PROPERTIES LIKE DC OR MARVEL?!?!? WHO THE FUCK WANTED TO WATCH "THE CAPE" (besides Abed)?!??!
by R Howell
This shows sounds like pure crap and if its anything as dull and boring as Supernatural than no thank you.
Sept. 19, 2012, 6:02 p.m. CST
Rights to the ideas, concept and brand names I do believe. Networks can't just make any DC or Marvel character without first consulting the people who own the rights. It'll all end in legal Lawsuits against Networks and producers. A costly battle that Networks would love to avoid. Hence all the Original Superhero shows.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 254 total posts 139 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 536 total posts 23 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 270 total posts 17 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 253 total posts 10 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 41 total posts 6 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 552 total posts 3 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 345 total posts 3 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 199 total posts 2 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 157 total posts 2 posts
- The Gathering On OUTLANDER!! Into The Dalek On DOCTOR WHO!! Monsters On BEWARE THE BATMAN!! SOLE CUSTODY On LIFETIME!! New INTRUDERS, POL, CHIMA, HILLBILLY, FLIPPING, WHEELS And OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 1 post