Herc Says NBC’s Awful New Sitcom GUYS WITH KIDS Belongs In A Diaper!! Because It’s Shit!!
An improbably hacky new laughtrack sitcom from writer-producer Charlie Grandy (“The Daily Show,” “The Office”), “Guys With Kids” stars Anthony Anderson (“K-Ville,” “Law & Order”), Zach Cregger (“The Whitest Kids U Know,” “Friends With Benefits”) and Jesse Bradford (“The West Wing,” “Item 47”) as fellows entrusted with childcare. It also stars Tempestt Bledsoe (“The Cosby Show”) and Jamie-Lynn Sigler (“The Sopranos”) and Erinn Hayes (“Parenthood,” “Childrens Hospital”) as the kids’ mothers.
It doesn’t take a lot of viewers to keep a show on NBC these days, but if the network elects to torture us with this woebegotten dud longer than a season, I will eat a Pamper.
... a bad, bad TV show.… It’s a cheap, stale, stereotype-addicted sitcom where no one, male or female, comes off especially well or likeable, excepting possibly the babies. …
... rests most of its humor on a very tired and ill-conceived hook: Men taking care of small children is hilarious because it's so unexpected! … And that makes me wonder: What rock have the people who created this show been living under? It's neither unusual or necessarily hysterical to see men caring for the their children, yet "Guys With Kids" would have you believe that dudes wearing baby slings is intrinsically guffaw-inducing …
... some of the jokes are amusing, but the show is a traditional sitcom that looks slightly dated. …
... insipid .…
... There’s not a single laugh-worthy line in the entire show … Notwithstanding the unfathomable reaction of the studio audience, the show certainly couldn’t survive on the basis of its humor, because there is none.
... fully prepared to lift the entire enterprise out of sitcom hell — are Gary (Anthony Anderson) and Marny (Tempestt Bledsoe), a squabbling couple who have twin babies plus a couple more kids. In their brief, cacophonous scene together in the pilot, Anderson and Bledsoe are a delight. The rest of the gang, including the other babies, should just get out of their way. Then we’d magically have that thing no major network seems capable of ordering: a funny comedy about black people.
... Truly, all the actors on “Guys with Kids” – even the unknown children used as props -- deserve better writing than what they get in this crummy, unimaginative sitcom.
… Jimmy Fallon co-created this series, and you’ll know it because he’s the one who announces the show was taped before a live audience. And right then and there, the magic — if there was any — vanishes. ... The adults muck it all up.
... a show that's as bland, generic and forgettable as that name implies. Guys Without Jokes would be even more accurate, but the one NBC chose will do.…
... Run, don't walk, from this depressingly generic retro-sitcom …
... it never garners more than a smile at best because it's so patently not unusual. In fact, it's less funny because the pretense that it should be unique is insulting. It's 2012, not 1955. …
... the execution brings such a stale approach to sexual politics as to feel dated by the first act break. Wait, men help out with child-rearing these days? Get outta here! … as these characters could attest, spare time is precious for harried parents -- probably too important to squander on a date with "Guys With Kids."
10 p.m. Wednesday. NBC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 12, 2012, 4:14 p.m. CST
by angry kitty
I mean any? The premise is beyond stupid.
Sept. 12, 2012, 4:14 p.m. CST
lol but who cares
Sept. 12, 2012, 4:15 p.m. CST
2nd is same as first right?
Sept. 12, 2012, 4:19 p.m. CST
by angry kitty
I'm cool like that.
Sept. 12, 2012, 4:42 p.m. CST
Seriously, it kills me and I'm not being sarcastic. Hardest laugh I've had all day. Great Job!
Sept. 12, 2012, 4:58 p.m. CST
As I said in a previous TB, last year's "Man Up" was much funnier (if that helps). Very sitcomish - takes the characters 1/3 of the episode to figure out a solution the audience arrived at the second the dilemma was introduced. A conflict between two other characters had me not caring what happened because I was for the rest of the episode wondering "If they were planning on going out, who was supposed to look after their kids?". We all know Hercules hates sitcoms. I sometimes think that bias makes his dismissal of a show unfair. But not in this case. This is the kind of show that gives sitcoms a bad name. And yet I'll tune in next week anyway to see if it gets better. Still, no where near as bad as "Work It".
Sept. 12, 2012, 5:08 p.m. CST
and I bet you it gets a prime timeslot, meanwhile Community is relegated to the Fright night graveyard
I hate America
Sept. 12, 2012, 5:09 p.m. CST
I hate the lack of an edit button
Sept. 12, 2012, 6:29 p.m. CST
Sept. 12, 2012, 6:29 p.m. CST
That might have been the worst show I've ever seen.
Sept. 12, 2012, 6:40 p.m. CST
by Bill C.
Because if it's the latter, then damn...
Sept. 12, 2012, 7:45 p.m. CST
by Joey Stars
Sept. 12, 2012, 7:48 p.m. CST
I know TV can be hit or miss, but sitcoms are horribly written today. Yes, the onle that survive two or three seasons are usually good, with the exception of some (especially on TVland). But Ben & Kate, The Mindy Project, Go On, The New Normal, Animal Practice are all horrible. This looks horrible too. Whitney sucks, but I blame the supporting cast and the writing. Whitney went from being a photogapher (though we never saw her take a picture) to not having a job. And don't get me into any POS with the words "Tyler Perry's" infront of it. The show is a mess. But the art of sitcom writing seems to be lost. Are they improvising more on shows? Is that the reason?
Sept. 12, 2012, 8:03 p.m. CST
by la te ral us
why can't they just bring back whitest kids??? it was just starting to gain a big following on IFC
Sept. 12, 2012, 9:25 p.m. CST
Nepotism + life experiences limited to Cambridge/New Haven dorm rooms= a lack of connection to real world situations. I guess not being a Jew was a hardship for a couple of years.
Sept. 13, 2012, 9:35 a.m. CST
Don't forget "Miss March" (by comparison this show's a step up).
Sept. 13, 2012, 9:57 a.m. CST
Now we know the downside to the otherwise hilarious "Zach Galifinakis with a baby bjorn" HANGOVER one-sheet. Was it worth it America? WAS IT?!
Sept. 13, 2012, 10:13 a.m. CST
Clearly this is just a bunch of hate spewing from jealous tv critics.
Sept. 13, 2012, 11:18 a.m. CST
by Randy DeLaney
And it was GOD AWFUL, which actually made me miss Whitney and Are you there Chelsea, yes it is that bad. At least those shows had chicks to look at.
Sept. 13, 2012, 11:39 a.m. CST
Okay, Herc, we'll hold you to the promise that if this, or any other bad TV show gets a second season, you'll eat a Pamper!
Sept. 13, 2012, 4:21 p.m. CST
by Son of a Butch
I'm not even watching the trailer for this.
Sept. 13, 2012, 4:59 p.m. CST
...He was awsome on The Shield tho'.
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 385 total posts 19 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 636 total posts 13 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 25 total posts 8 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 14 total posts 5 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 24 total posts 3 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts